Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mSparks View Post
    Really?
    I can't name one such launch from the last decade (not made by microsoft)
    REALLY?? Have you watched any game studios showing their behind the scenes game making videos? ALL of them use Windows. Major Software industries, even open source one, like for e,g, lets say MongoDB, SQL, Rust etc? Mostly use Windows. I have watched a lot of these videos. Music Production? They use either Mac or Windows, mostly Mac but also Windows. Linux is only used by companies which make software for linux, or hobbyists, hate to break it to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Not ALL Windows apps, at least not all games. RCT1 for example is a pain to get working on Win 7, let alone Win 10 and 11. And there are many more old games that run poorly, barely or not at all on modern Windows. Through Wine, however, a lot of them work much better.
      So you had some problems with roller coaster tycoon on one version of Windows, and you slammed the whole Windows line for it? I have personally never played it but a simple youtube search shows its easy to install and play. So, i request you to stop spreading false information. What games are not working 'poorly or not at all' on modern Windows? any examples? Proof?

Comment

Originally posted by ferry View Post

Way ahead.

WSL2 is a like a VM with limitations. On linux we have Virtualbox running a real Windows.
        What limitations are we talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by mSparks View Post

Just a thought,
          But perhaps if Microsoft had put as much effort into making that the case rather than spending a fortune on marketing pretending it was the case.
          Windows would be in billions of people pockets and running all the internet infrastructure (including Microsofts) rather than Linux.

And windows distributors wouldn't need to put as much effort into WSL now in order to try and stay relevant.

Instead Windows won the desktop war but lost the entire market for application development.

Having watched a windows fantatic try and get various tool chains up an running on WSL and eventually needing to reinstall his entire OS, I really don't think this is going to do much for HP other than increase the cost of supporting windows workstation users.
          "Instead Windows won the desktop war but lost the entire market for application development."......

Is this why they remain no.1 on StackOverflow surveys? Only marginally competed by mac and linux very far behind?

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
            > In the corporate world (on the business/operational side), I have yet to see a single company not using Windows [...]

I have to say that, in the corporate world, I have yet to see a single company not using Linux in any computer. That includes servers, phones, tablets, routers, etc.
            Do you really count linux usage if you cant even see it? like servers, routers etc.? i thought we were talking desktop linux here. In that case all Xbox consoles can be counted as Windows machines, if we count Android as linux.

Comment

Originally posted by fractalmess View Post
              Do you really count linux usage if you cant even see it? like servers, routers etc.? i thought we were talking desktop linux here. In that case all Xbox consoles can be counted as Windows machines, if we count Android as linux.
              In the context of this discussion I would say servers yes, routers no. As more and more applications move from individual PCs to web and other servers, typically running Linux, the importance of Linux in the application development world goes up accordingly.

If your statement is that "people developing native Windows applications are mostly using Windows" then I don't think many would argue with you, but by the same token if you look at things like artwork creation and rendering you'll probably find that a significant and increasing amount of that is on Linux and MacOS.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by fractalmess View Post

REALLY?? Have you watched any game studios showing their behind the scenes game making videos? ALL of them use Windows. Major Software industries, even open source one, like for e,g, lets say MongoDB, SQL, Rust etc? Mostly use Windows. I have watched a lot of these videos. Music Production? They use either Mac or Windows, mostly Mac but also Windows. Linux is only used by companies which make software for linux, or hobbyists, hate to break it to you.
                I've worked in the VFX industry for over 10 years, and most VFX shops run on Linux...

Comment

Working...
                X