HP To Begin Pre-Loading WSL2 For Windows On Upcoming HP Workstations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post

Hardly, it's a compatibility layer that is dependant on the use of an actual Linux Distro.
    I don't see how they can create any issues with WSL that would stop people from being able to use a regularly installed distro.
    They have their own distro (https://github.com/microsoft/CBL-Mariner).
    It's just a matter of time for it to become a fully usable independent one.

Comment

What I would rather see from HP is support for Coreboot.
      They already seem to use fwupd/LVFS, but I would like to see it supported on more models.

Comment

MS seems to bet a lot on WLS.
        For example, the recent Visual Studio 2022 has native interface to WSL2 (to test code on a linux machine) for C++.
        Last edited by boboviz; 10 November 2021, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbine View Post

Linux doesn't respect the CPU frequencies in bios on a desktop, has poor thermal control on laptop and has very poor legacy Linux app compatibility.
          Just a thought,
          But perhaps if Microsoft had put as much effort into making that the case rather than spending a fortune on marketing pretending it was the case.
          Windows would be in billions of people pockets and running all the internet infrastructure (including Microsofts) rather than Linux.

And windows distributors wouldn't need to put as much effort into WSL now in order to try and stay relevant.

Instead Windows won the desktop war but lost the entire market for application development.

Having watched a windows fantatic try and get various tool chains up an running on WSL and eventually needing to reinstall his entire OS, I really don't think this is going to do much for HP other than increase the cost of supporting windows workstation users.
          Last edited by mSparks; 10 November 2021, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mSparks View Post

Just a thought,
            But perhaps if Microsoft had put as much effort into making that the case rather than spending a fortune on marketing pretending it was the case.
            Windows would be in billions of people pockets and running all the internet infrastructure (including Microsofts) rather than Linux.

And windows distributors wouldn't need to put as much effort into WSL now in order to try and stay relevant.

Instead Windows won the desktop war but lost the entire market for application development.

Having watched a windows fantatic try and get various tool chains up an running on WSL and eventually needing to reinstall his entire OS, I really don't think this is going to do much for HP other than increase the cost of supporting windows workstation users.
            They actually haven't. At most they lost cloud and web apps development (and not completely even). But a lot of other software types - like games, office software, desktop utilities and even mobile applications are still developed on Windows and for Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by blacknova View Post
              But a lot of other software types - like games, office software, desktop utilities and even mobile applications are still developed on Windows and for Windows.
              Really?
              I can't name one such launch from the last decade (not made by microsoft)

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post

Because they only <3 linux in the same sense as I <3 a good steak.

WSL is indeed a perfectly executed EEE scheme by Microsoft. And there is nothing the Linux community can do.
                Way ahead.

WSL2 is a like a VM with limitations. On linux we have Virtualbox running a real Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post
                  I have seen benchmarks of windows software running better in wine.

I wonder if I can run Wine in WSL in a loop for infinite performance
                  I've got a full KDE desktop (with a few patches) running in WSL1, which honestly I think is cooler than WSL2 (running on the NT kernel instead of punting and running a full linux in a VM) and I'm slightly disappointed they've moved away from it.

ANYWAY within it I've run some windows programs through WINE, just to see if I could. It's possible.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    Extend.........

Windows:
                    - may be slow
                    - runs all your Windows apps
                    - runs 99% of Linux apps through WSL2, and even GUI ones

Linux:
                    - is fast
                    - runs all your Linux apps
                    - only runs 70% of Windows apps through Wine...

This is a problem.
                    Not ALL Windows apps, at least not all games. RCT1 for example is a pain to get working on Win 7, let alone Win 10 and 11. And there are many more old games that run poorly, barely or not at all on modern Windows. Through Wine, however, a lot of them work much better.

Comment

Originally posted by JEBjames View Post
                      You could almost say... they are both extending their arms and embracing each other?

-----

Comment

Working...
                      X