HP To Begin Pre-Loading WSL2 For Windows On Upcoming HP Workstations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mSparks View Post
    MS is just trying to solve their problem of a rapidly shrinking developer ecosystem.

Running linux apps slowly doesnt solve that for them or stem the bleeding.

I reckon the #1 reason they still dont have android emulation is they know as soon as they do exactly no one will build windows apps any more
    According to benchmarks i have seen, including on this site, Linux apps run on WSL are sometimes faster than running them on bare metal Linux.

Also, you can already run Android apps on Windows using Nox Player, I use it every day to play DC Legends.

Android apps are not going to kill Windows, Android apps are coded and targeted for running on low power tablet and smart phone processors, Windows apps are coded for much more powerful x86 processors.

Two very different markets and target audiences.

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post

Because they only <3 linux in the same sense as I <3 a good steak.

WSL is indeed a perfectly executed EEE scheme by Microsoft. And there is nothing the Linux community can do.
      Hardly, it's a compatibility layer that is dependant on the use of an actual Linux Distro.
      I don't see how they can create any issues with WSL that would stop people from being able to use a regularly installed distro.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

According to benchmarks i have seen, including on this site, Linux apps run on WSL are sometimes faster than running them on bare metal Linux.
        I have seen benchmarks of windows software running better in wine.

I wonder if I can run Wine in WSL in a loop for infinite performance

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          Windows:
          - may be slow
          On average Windows is on par with Linux, and faster is some places. When it comes to API stability and GUI fluidity & responsivity, dwm.exe along wddm model is better than all GNU/Linux DE's combined.

Comment

Reasonably sure you misread the benchmarks on that one.

e.g. in
            https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-tr3970x&num=1

That is not wsl ever being faster, just occasionally it takes first place when there is no meaningful difference in performance.
            Also, you can already run Android apps on Windows using Nox Player, I use it every day to play DC Legends.
            I was referring to listing them in the windows store
            Last edited by mSparks; 10 November 2021, 12:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              Extend.........

Windows:
              - may be slow
              - runs all your Windows apps
              - runs 99% of Linux apps through WSL2, and even GUI ones

Linux:
              - is fast
              - runs all your Linux apps
              - only runs 70% of Windows apps through Wine...

This is a problem.
              Hate to break it to you, unless you're compiling code. Windows is considerably faster, especially graphically. Although I don't run Windows defender or spectre patches.

Linux doesn't respect the CPU frequencies in bios on a desktop, has poor thermal control on laptop and has very poor legacy Linux app compatibility.

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
                Windows has in many ways become irrelevant and WSL just pushes that further. For people working in Windows culture companies, this could be very delightful! Linux has also in may ways become irrelevant, there is a convergence happing of the "OS", specifically wrt desktop. Now looking at servers is a very different situation. WSL will not save windows in any place requiring high performance serving or a large number of client services (CALs kill you there!).

Personally I think WSL is an attempt to bring devs back and an acknowledgment that Linux is the only place for high performance deployment.

It would not surprise me if in the not to distant future we see things like ActiveDirectory available on Linux (no doubt for a reasonably huge cost). They have already done it with SQL Server (has anyone here actually tried it on Linux though?).
                Windows has in no way become irrelevant, as much as I hate to say it.
                Maybe in the developer world, it has been challenged a bit. But in the corporate world (on the business/operational side), I have yet to see a single company not using Windows for all employees outside the IT department.

Comment

> In the corporate world (on the business/operational side), I have yet to see a single company not using Windows [...]

I have to say that, in the corporate world, I have yet to see a single company not using Linux in any computer. That includes servers, phones, tablets, routers, etc.
                  Last edited by Nth_man; 10 November 2021, 05:40 AM.

Comment

I fear that one day our IT-Department will come to the conclusion that Linux machines are forbidden and Linuxusers should switch to use WSL ....

Comment

Originally posted by middy View Post
                      if microsoft really <3 linux like they claim, then why don't they contribute to wine? the bulk of their contributions have been making running linux things, including linux itself, on windows easier. if they want to do that, then that's fine, but it be nice if they also helped make running windows things on linux, easier.
                      Because by law they can't. WINE in many aspects is like clean room implementation - people never saw orginal source code and reimplement stuff on their own. The moment someone who saw orginal source code of windows starts working on WINE, you break it.

Comment

Working...
                      X