Google Will Now Pay $31,337 To $50,337 For New Linux Kernel Vulnerabilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Will Now Pay $31,337 To $50,337 For New Linux Kernel Vulnerabilities

Phoronix: Google Will Now Pay $31,337 To $50,337 For New Linux Kernel Vulnerabilities

Google announced today that now through at least the end of January they will be providing higher payment amounts for security researchers disclosing new vulnerabilities affecting the Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

31337 lol

elite talk. Good ol days.

Comment

Most people don't want vulnerabilities. Google friggin pays for them...

Comment

Typo:

"explore the kenrel

Comment

Will Google phase out Linux for Fuchsia?
          On Chromebooks? on Android? in the data centers in the cloud? Everywhere?

Comment

Originally posted by ddriver View Post
            Most people don't want vulnerabilities. Google friggin pays for them...
            they do not want to know details of vulnerability ahead of public before patches arrive. So vulnerability is supposed to be fixed by the day it is reported to them.

Google in general feels so torn apart in terms of aproach, how they come to vulnerabilities is very reasonable and good, and same security experts they employ disagree with design choices for example Chrome makes.
            Last edited by piotrj3; 01 November 2021, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Will Google phase out Linux for Fuchsia?
              On Chromebooks? on Android? in the data centers in the cloud? Everywhere?
              I think even if they manage to make Fuchsia worth considering in production, they'll end up porting Linux drivers for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post

I think even if they manage to make Fuchsia worth considering in production, they'll end up porting Linux drivers for a while.
                They're already running Fuchsia on Google Nest Hub, so I guess it is only a matter of time before it is on Google home speakers, Wi-Fi, and then eventually Chromebooks.

Comment

knowing what you know about google bed time with NSA, and knowing about google constant infringements of user rights..
                  In my view you report the bugs, and google will say, "ho that problem was already solved...so no money", and them suddenly will patch the code hahaha
                  A bunch of pirates..

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

They're already running Fuchsia on Google Nest Hub, so I guess it is only a matter of time before it is on Google home speakers, Wi-Fi, and then eventually Chromebooks.
                    Most likely Fuchsia will never surpass Linux from a performance perspective because of the IPC overhead inherited from the microkernel design.
                    However, with continued hardware advancements, this will increasingly become less of a problem.
                    That's why I believe that over the long term Fuchsia will probably become the main competitor of Linux in the FOSS space.

Let's hope Google will not slow down their contributions to Linux should they really make the switch to Fuchsia in earnest.

Comment

Working...
                    X