Microsoft Publishes WSL Preview Inside the Windows 11 Store

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pkese View Post

Nah. That was Sun suing Microsoft for trying to improve on Java (early Java was a big pile of crap - I happened to be programming that shit in late 1990-ies).
    In the end they came up with dotnet, which is technically Java with a few less technical mistakes (after fiddling with java for some years, they were in position where they could afford a fresh start, however with enough experience that they knew what needed fixing).

But still ... dotnet wouldn't exist if Sun wouldn't have sued.
    That's the first time I hear about Java having “technical mistakes”. Usually I only hear people saying things along the line of “Java sucks!” and “Java rules!”, but never have I ever read about Java having techical mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by trilean View Post
      I do welcome the effort to trim down the Windows base image. I really really want a very slim Windows base installation, with none of the (not so) optional components. Like, ya know, the MS Store. Basically Windows Embedded with just the desktop enabled. Operating systems have one and one job only: Provide a hardware abstraction layer and a launcher so I can run my applications. Other than that they should just get out of the way. Anything with a feature set of larger than Windows 95's (plus proper TCP/IP and security features) is bloat IMO.
      This is something I have put a lot of thought into. I use Windows by choice at work (Linux is really not a fit for what I do, and I like the "workflow" I have established for my self in Windows better than mac OS - some of this is due to third party utility apps, but at this point not much needed.) My main issue is all the telemetry and bloat that keeps getting added on. I agree with your point spot on with what the OS should really be. The good news is that I am pretty "multi-lingual" in regards to operating systems, can function pretty well in Windows, macOS, and whatever DE/WM on top of Linux. A lighter weight shell on Linux is where I want to eventually land, with possibly running a Windows VM when needed. But I still see some shortcoming with things. But things do keep moving forward.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Nope, Microsoft just made Linux redundant. People have no need for Linux anymore, they can just use Windows instead, for everything.
        This. ^ That is their plan for WSL. It's going on inside Microsoft too. Having worked there I can tell you you get nasty looks if you have the wrong OS on your desk or (in my time there..) Had the wrong phone. I had to defend using Linux on a laptop to use minicom as opposed to HyperTerminal quite often and eventually got the "conversation" about it with my boss. They would agree with me it was more efficient and better but they didn't like me doing any work on Linux and I had to remove it.

Today people there need Linux but there are still many old timers there that would frown on seeing it.

They want to make a Linux environment condom but still keep people on Windows.. and management def supports that move.
        Last edited by k1e0x; 13 October 2021, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X