X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TheLexMachine
    replied
    Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
    I was surprised to see that they use Linux in their cameras. Any contributions to getting color management working better in Linux would be much appreciated.
    No surprise there. Sony has long used embedded Linux in their consumer and professional electronics, along with most other players in the industry, and many use Linux or some derivative of Unix in their latest cameras. Unfortunately, they are focused on Enterprise/commercial stuff and I can't see them doing any contributions to things that would benefit most Linux users, particularly on the digital imaging side of things, where RAW decoding and such is sorely needed for Sony cameras.

Leave a comment:

• kingu
    replied
    Idea for ramping up credibility considerably: Stop making presentations in PowerPoint.

Leave a comment:

• mdedetrich
    replied
    Originally posted by timofonic View Post

I think most games in the near future will require certain good SSDs as minimum requirement.

Except Switch with mobile-like hardware, Xbox and Playstation use custom PC hardware. Newer generations will be faster than them in all ways, DirectX12 and Vulkan provide more low level hardware access too.

Hardware is getting standardized just because economy of scale, that's good for users.

And exclusive games are slowly fading too, except on Nintendo games.

And we have Wine/Proton!
    This is not going to ultimately change anything, SSD's was just one specific example. You also have the problem with graphics cards, i.e. people have wildly varying graphics cards (and if you look at the Steam survey this is evident).

Leave a comment:

• FellowPenguin
    replied
    I switched to Linux when there were virtually no games playable on it. Personal freedom and independence from biggest corporations were more important to me than all the games in the world. And now in 2021 thanks to the amazing FOSS community and help from Valve I can play 30+ thousand games available on Steam on my Linux machine. There are 200+ games in my Steam Library and 500+ games on wishlist. This is enough for more than two decades. I've never been more happy than now.

Leave a comment:

• FellowPenguin
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    Playstation exclusives for the win.

All the games I play on my PS3, PS4 and PS5 are never released on any other platform and I like it that way.

If the "open source community" is even a fraction as capable as what they tout themselves to be, they should have no problem creating a console using nothing but a complete FOSS software stack on Linux and Mesa that is capable of outperforming what Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft has to offer.

Instead all they do is go around demanding for consoles to be open sourced so that they can get leech free code from businesses who have poured in millions into developing their own performant software stacks on game consoles.
    PS exclusives exist because Sony pays game publishers to not release their games on other platforms.

Leave a comment:

• Linuxxx
    replied

Sure, you just outed yourself as someone who doesn't pay for games and prefer to steal them in the form of 'fan-translated' versions. I'm sure Sony really loves consumers like you who really just love using FOSS as an excuse for piracy.

And for what it's worth, the PSP-era and PS2-era games I play on the original consoles still do not have fan translations, let alone PS3-era games. Hah!

Nothing beats actually knowing the language and playing a game on a console the way it's meant to be played.
    If I don't even get the chance to pay for the games I want, then of course I ain't going to do it! On the other hand, I always pay for the games I like and support this way!

Also, what types of Japanese games do you like? The ones that are a grindfest and/or depict underage-girls a certain way?

Now, nothing against the Japanese salarymen that obviously seem to enjoy this type of content - though you are not actually Japanese, are you?

Hmm, let me try to read your mind and guess:
    Portuguese, right?

Again, nothing against Portugal, mind you; just a guess...

Leave a comment:

• Sonadow
    replied
    Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

Secondly, you may enjoy your region-locked Japanese games all you want, while I can do the same with fan-translated versions on my PlayStation emulators with better graphics & higher fidelity, just so you can get that much more angry at us Linux users!
    (I'm loving your logic, by the way...)
    Sure, you just outed yourself as someone who doesn't pay for games and prefer to steal them in the form of 'fan-translated' versions. I'm sure Sony really loves consumers like you who really just love using FOSS as an excuse for piracy.

And for what it's worth, the PSP-era and PS2-era games I play on the original consoles still do not have fan translations, let alone PS3-era games. Hah!

Nothing beats actually knowing the language and playing a game on a console the way it's meant to be played.
    Last edited by Sonadow; 07 October 2021, 10:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Linuxxx
    replied

You can have those trashy American trash games published by garbage American studios. Heck, I will be glad to see Sony remove these games from their PS lineup.

The untranslated Japanese games from Japanese game studios which I play exclusively on the PS and the Vita will forever remain console exclusive, and that's what matters to me. Oh, you don't understand Japanese? Oh boo hoo.
    Firstly, at least get your facts right:
    The S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games are anything but American and I'm definitely no American myself either! (Not that I have anything against Americans per se, unlike you...)

Secondly, you may enjoy your region-locked Japanese games all you want, while I can do the same with fan-translated versions on my PlayStation emulators with better graphics & higher fidelity, just so you can get that much more angry at us Linux users!
    (I'm loving your logic, by the way...)

Leave a comment:

• Sonadow
    replied
    Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

WOW! You sir, are a really bitter ... [please fill in an insult or curse word to your liking!]

First, I got some bad news for you son ... no, only son:
    Your precious Sony just bought Nixxes!
    Doesn't ring a bell? Yeah, thought so!
    Well, they are a company specializing in PC ports; now, why on earth would Sony be interested in that?
    Turns out, they are really interested in the growing PC gaming market, where even decade old games can still sell (GOG - bought the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. titles there, which your Gollum-precious PlayStation ain't ever getting).

And unlike you, with the Steam Deck coming soon, I will be able to enjoy your once-exclusive "Horizon - Zero Dawn" wherever I feel like; I bet Sony likes to refer to it internally as the PSP3!

Linux actually revolutionizing the handheld gaming space - who would have thought?
    [Thanks again, VALVe!]

Anyway, cry some more, while I will enjoy the original 'Uncharted' trilogy on my Linux setup with the help of the truly amazing RPCS3 emulator!

And don't forget about the progress the Linux-exclusive PS4 translator (akin to WINE) is making, too!
    You can have those trashy American games published by garbage American studios. Heck, I will be glad to see Sony remove these games from their PS lineup. All American games (and all Western games in general) have to offer is their concept of manliness by having testosterone-filled men waving large guns and shooting at everything in front of him.

The untranslated Japanese games from Japanese game studios which I play exclusively on the PS and the Vita will forever remain console exclusive, and that's what matters to me. Oh, you don't understand Japanese? Oh boo hoo.
    Last edited by Sonadow; 07 October 2021, 10:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Linuxxx
    replied
    Playstation exclusives for the win.

All the games I play on my PS3, PS4 and PS5 are never released on any other platform and I like it that way.

If the "open source community" is even a fraction as capable as what they tout themselves to be, they should have no problem creating a console using nothing but a complete FOSS software stack on Linux and Mesa that is capable of outperforming what Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft has to offer.

Instead all they do is go around demanding for consoles to be open sourced so that they can get leech free code from businesses who have poured in millions into developing their own performant software stacks on game consoles.
    WOW! You sir, are a really bitter ... [please fill in an insult or curse word to your liking!]

First, I got some bad news for you son ... no, only son:
    Your precious Sony just bought Nixxes!
    Doesn't ring a bell? Yeah, thought so!
    Well, they are a company specializing in PC ports; now, why on earth would Sony be interested in that?
    Turns out, they are really interested in the growing PC gaming market, where even decade old games can still sell (GOG - bought the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. titles there, which your Gollum-precious PlayStation ain't ever getting).

And unlike you, with the Steam Deck coming soon, I will be able to enjoy your once-exclusive "Horizon - Zero Dawn" wherever I feel like; I bet Sony likes to refer to it internally as the PSP3!

Linux actually revolutionizing the handheld gaming space - who would have thought?
    [Thanks again, VALVe!]

Anyway, cry some more, while I will enjoy the original 'Uncharted' trilogy on my Linux setup with the help of the truly amazing RPCS3 emulator!

And don't forget about the progress the Linux-exclusive PS4 translator (akin to WINE) is making, too!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X