Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sony Has Begun Accelerating Their Contributions To Open-Source / Linux

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
    gQuigs
    Senior Member

  • gQuigs
    replied
    Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
    Has anyone forgotten Sony's gaming division's root kits?
    Sony's music CD root kits. It was the only time I had to reinstall to get rid of badware. The penalty was a joke considering the real damage to people's machines.

    Leave a comment:

  • Slartifartblast
    Senior Member

  • Slartifartblast
    replied
    Originally posted by dlq84 View Post
    It would be cool if they started using Linux on the playstation, but I doubt it. This is probably more for their "smart" products and mobile phones.
    They did sort of then took it away.

    The Lord Sony giveth and the Lord Sony taketh away.

    Leave a comment:

  • Inopia
    Phoronix Member

  • Inopia
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post

    There was Linux on PS4 back in the day. Until the day it wasn't anymore.
    Well technically there's the unofficial Linux for PS4. With PS4 being so close to a PC with AMD parts they just needed some crafty patches to the kernel and patched AMD Mesa driver.

    https://youtu.be/MHjTXYBSRck

    Leave a comment:

  • stormcrow
    Senior Member

  • stormcrow
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

    Wouldn't surprise me long-term. At this point they're running their own custom BSD graphics stack that is essentially what Mesa offers for free. That's just graphics. Add in sound, storage, peripherals, etc that they need which Linux already supports and BSD doesn't, it makes Linux look more and more desirable.

    Why double up effort for a closed source solution when an open source solution exists? All that redundant work is a waste of their resources. It would also make porting to Linux, Steam, Stadia, and Android easier since they'd all be sharing the same (or similar) drivers and software.
    The license. BSD licenses allow all the DRM they can heap upon their platforms and keep it closed source and harder to circumvent. GPL type licenses are DRM hostile and rightfully so. Has anyone forgotten Sony's gaming division's root kits? Anyone else tried that they'd have ended up in jail.

    Leave a comment:

  • bug77
    Senior Member

  • bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by Pranos View Post

    No. It was PS3.
    Indeed it was.

    Leave a comment:

  • Pranos
    Phoronix Member

  • Pranos
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post

    There was Linux on PS4 back in the day. Until the day it wasn't anymore.
    No. It was PS3.

    Leave a comment:

  • kylew77
    Senior Member

  • kylew77
    replied
    Any chance we could get some upstream FreeBSD support? PS3, PS4, and PS5 all run modified versions of FreeBSD I think but may be wrong version 10 with the PS4 and version 12 with the PS5. Would love to see better gaming support on a *BSD.

    Leave a comment:

  • bug77
    Senior Member

  • bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by dlq84 View Post
    It would be cool if they started using Linux on the playstation, but I doubt it. This is probably more for their "smart" products and mobile phones.
    There was Linux on PS4 back in the day. Until the day it wasn't anymore.

    Leave a comment:

  • skeevy420
    Senior Member

  • skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by timofonic View Post
    Gaming? PS6?
    Wouldn't surprise me long-term. At this point they're running their own custom BSD graphics stack that is essentially what Mesa offers for free. That's just graphics. Add in sound, storage, peripherals, etc that they need which Linux already supports and BSD doesn't, it makes Linux look more and more desirable.

    Why double up effort for a closed source solution when an open source solution exists? All that redundant work is a waste of their resources. It would also make porting to Linux, Steam, Stadia, and Android easier since they'd all be sharing the same (or similar) drivers and software.
    skeevy420
    Senior Member
    Last edited by skeevy420; 06 October 2021, 09:08 AM.

    Leave a comment:

  • zdzichu
    Junior Member

  • zdzichu
    replied
    I would be happy if my SONY XM4 headphones reported battery status for GNOME to show in power panel. Any chance of that, Sony?

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X