Sony Has Begun Accelerating Their Contributions To Open-Source / Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zdzichu View Post
    I would be happy if my SONY XM4 headphones reported battery status for GNOME to show in power panel. Any chance of that, Sony?
    Are you using Pipewire or pulseaudio?

Not specific to this but i have read about users posting that battery percentage for some products started to be reported once they moved to pipewire.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
      Gaming? PS6?
      Many Playstation exclusive titles are said to be eventually released for PC in order to compete with Microsoft on this additional platform. This change in direction was announced some time last year IIRC. Personally, I am hoping for Bloodborne.

Comment

I'd like to see Sony start using Vulkan. Linux on PS6 would be a good bonus too.

Comment

Originally posted by kiffmet View Post

Many Playstation exclusive titles are said to be eventually released for PC in order to compete with Microsoft on this additional platform. This change in direction was announced some time last year IIRC. Personally, I am hoping for Bloodborne.
          I think Sony execs came to realization that exclusives tactics they were strongly using is only limiting their audience and in result they get less profits. Exclusives were always a stupid idea.

Comment

Here's an interesting Sony & PlayStation related history piece that also provides some comedic value:
            20 Years Later: How Concerns About Weaponized Consoles Almost Sunk the PS2

Before the PlayStation 5 arrives, let's remember the time gamers almost didn't experience the Sony PlayStation 2 because Japan felt it had military applications.
            Before the PlayStation 5 arrives, let's remember the time gamers almost didn't experience the Sony PlayStation 2 because Japan felt it had military applications.

Now it finally makes sense why it's called Sony Computer Entertainment!

Comment

Originally posted by Pranos View Post

No. It was PS3.
              And PS2.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

I think Sony execs came to realization that exclusives tactics they were strongly using is only limiting their audience and in result they get less profits. Exclusives were always a stupid idea.
                Exclusives are profitable if you're the strongest player in the market, because it draws people to your platform. As soon as someone else becomes the most popular player, you lose out and it makes sense to work on cross-platform compatibility.

Sony had a few years of being the king of console gaming, but now the Nintendo Switch has that title. So now Playstation (and Xbox) are working on cross-platform play, and Nintendo has no interest in it.

Edit: an ethical company would work on cross-platform play all of the time, no matter how popular they are, because that's best for consumers. But Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo care about profits, not people.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
                  Exclusives are profitable if you're the strongest player in the market, because it draws people to your platform
                  I don't really get it. If you sell your games on all platforms then who cares what platform is the strongest? You are making money everywhere.

It's one thing if they let's say are making money on selling hardware, so "platform" gives them profit by attracting more gamers. But they aren't profiting on that (they even under-price their consoles as far as I know), they are profiting on selling games. And if they sell games in more stores (and on more platforms), it means more people will buy them = more profits.
                  Last edited by shmerl; 06 October 2021, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Not long ago Sony was infecting people's PC with rootkits via Audio CDs and now they want to contribute to Linux. Hah 🤣

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
                      Exclusives are profitable if you're the strongest player in the market, because it draws people to your platform. As soon as someone else becomes the most popular player, you lose out and it makes sense to work on cross-platform compatibility.
                      Was Microsoft the strongest player when they released Halo on the XBox? Was Sega the strongest player when they released Sonic on the Genesis?

The whole point of exclusives is to have a selling argument other than the hardware. In the console world exclusives are not completely out of the question because of the very specific hardware and optimisation they used to have, hence whymultiplatform games had a pretty bad reputation.

Now that everyone is using computer or tablet hardware, the tide is turning, and Valve is proving they are able to cater Linux specifically for gaming, with optimisations across most of the existing hardware.

Comment

Working...
                      X