• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Sonadow

• Sonadow
    replied
    Playstation exclusives for the win.

All the games I play on my PS3, PS4 and PS5 are never released on any other platform and I like it that way.

If the "open source community" is even a fraction as capable as what they tout themselves to be, they should have no problem creating a console using nothing but a complete FOSS software stack on Linux and Mesa that is capable of outperforming what Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft has to offer.

Instead all they do is go around demanding for consoles to be open sourced so that they can get leech free code from businesses who have poured in millions into developing their own performant software stacks on game consoles.
    Sonadow
    Last edited by Sonadow; 07 October 2021, 08:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Michael_S

• Michael_S
    replied
    Originally posted by shmerl View Post

I don't really get it. If you sell your games on all platforms then who cares what platform is the strongest? You are making money everywhere.

It's one thing if they let's say are making money on selling hardware, so "platform" gives them profit by attracting more gamers. But they aren't profiting on that (they even under-price their consoles as far as I know), they are profiting on selling games. And if they sell games in more stores (and on more platforms), it means more people will buy them = more profits.
    Think in terms of store lock-in. If I'm a PC gamer, I can buy games from Blizzard/Activision, GOG, Steam, Epic, Microsoft Store, and directly from the game creator. So this month I spend money in the Activision store, next month I spend money in the GOG store, two months from now I spend money on Steam.

If the game I really want is on a Playstation, I get a Playstation. The Playstation does not, as you noted, bring in much profit or any profit for Sony. But this month I buy from the Playstation store, next month I buy from the Playstation store, two months from now I buy from the Playstation store, and so forth.

I'm making up numbers here, but imagine this scenario. Sony has sold something like 15 million copies of the Spider-man PS4 game that came out in 2018. If the game was cross-platform, maybe they would have sold 30 million or even 50 million copies. That's huge. But they kept the game a Playstation exclusive, and you can bet that some of the 15 million copies sold were to people that got the Playstation just to play that game. If the game was cross platform, they would have never bought a Playstation. So some of those people got a Playstation Plus subscription ($60/year) that they wouldn't otherwise get, and some bought or rented movies on the Playstation Store that they would not have otherwise done, and some bought Overwatch or Call of Duty: Electric Bugaloo or Yet Another God of War on Playstation. So Sony executives figured, right or wrong, that the profits from pulling people into their platform outweighed the profits from cross-platform sales.

Leave a comment:

• timofonic

• timofonic
    replied
    Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

This is actually not entirely true. There are very real technical reasons to make exclusives, its much easier to design an optimal game when you only have to target a single platform. There are countless interviews of Playstation exclusive game devs and the major reason why they focus only on Playstation is that they know precisely what everyone is running and hence they can take the system to its limits when designing a game.

Think of it this way, if you design a game for PS5 today you know that every single person playing your game has an SSD that is capable of 6-10 gigabytes a second so you can design your game around that (i.e. such a game would literally not need any loading screens, it can be completely seamless because it can load in textures from the SSD so quickly). Likewise you would not need filler portions in the level when you are going into a new area (i.e. standing in an elevator) because these filler portions was actually masking a game having to load in textures for the next level behind the scenes and the reason this was done is because people were using standard hard drives.

If you targeted PC, now you have to suddenly deal with a huge proportion of the population who either isn't running a SSD or a real slow one. This means that you have to design your game around the lowest common denominator which effects the design of the game.
    I think most games in the near future will require certain good SSDs as minimum requirement.

Except Switch with mobile-like hardware, Xbox and Playstation use custom PC hardware. Newer generations will be faster than them in all ways, DirectX12 and Vulkan provide more low level hardware access too.

Hardware is getting standardized just because economy of scale, that's good for users.

And exclusive games are slowly fading too, except on Nintendo games.

And we have Wine/Proton!

Leave a comment:

• mdedetrich

• mdedetrich
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

Exclusives are profitable if you're the strongest player in the market, because it draws people to your platform. As soon as someone else becomes the most popular player, you lose out and it makes sense to work on cross-platform compatibility.

Sony had a few years of being the king of console gaming, but now the Nintendo Switch has that title. So now Playstation (and Xbox) are working on cross-platform play, and Nintendo has no interest in it.

Edit: an ethical company would work on cross-platform play all of the time, no matter how popular they are, because that's best for consumers. But Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo care about profits, not people.
    This is actually not entirely true. There are very real technical reasons to make exclusives, its much easier to design an optimal game when you only have to target a single platform. There are countless interviews of Playstation exclusive game devs and the major reason why they focus only on Playstation is that they know precisely what everyone is running and hence they can take the system to its limits when designing a game.

Think of it this way, if you design a game for PS5 today you know that every single person playing your game has an SSD that is capable of 6-10 gigabytes a second so you can design your game around that (i.e. such a game would literally not need any loading screens, it can be completely seamless because it can load in textures from the SSD so quickly). Likewise you would not need filler portions in the level when you are going into a new area (i.e. standing in an elevator) because these filler portions was actually masking a game having to load in textures for the next level behind the scenes and the reason this was done is because people were using standard hard drives.

If you targeted PC, now you have to suddenly deal with a huge proportion of the population who either isn't running a SSD or a real slow one. This means that you have to design your game around the lowest common denominator which effects the design of the game.
    mdedetrich
    Last edited by mdedetrich; 07 October 2021, 03:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• omer666

• omer666
    replied
    Exclusives are profitable if you're the strongest player in the market, because it draws people to your platform. As soon as someone else becomes the most popular player, you lose out and it makes sense to work on cross-platform compatibility.
    Was Microsoft the strongest player when they released Halo on the XBox? Was Sega the strongest player when they released Sonic on the Genesis?

The whole point of exclusives is to have a selling argument other than the hardware. In the console world exclusives are not completely out of the question because of the very specific hardware and optimisation they used to have, hence whymultiplatform games had a pretty bad reputation.

Now that everyone is using computer or tablet hardware, the tide is turning, and Valve is proving they are able to cater Linux specifically for gaming, with optimisations across most of the existing hardware.

Leave a comment:

• piorunz

• piorunz
    replied
    Not long ago Sony was infecting people's PC with rootkits via Audio CDs and now they want to contribute to Linux. Hah 🤣

Leave a comment:

• shmerl

• shmerl
    replied
    Exclusives are profitable if you're the strongest player in the market, because it draws people to your platform
    I don't really get it. If you sell your games on all platforms then who cares what platform is the strongest? You are making money everywhere.

It's one thing if they let's say are making money on selling hardware, so "platform" gives them profit by attracting more gamers. But they aren't profiting on that (they even under-price their consoles as far as I know), they are profiting on selling games. And if they sell games in more stores (and on more platforms), it means more people will buy them = more profits.
    shmerl
    Last edited by shmerl; 06 October 2021, 08:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Michael_S

• Michael_S
    replied
    Originally posted by shmerl View Post

I think Sony execs came to realization that exclusives tactics they were strongly using is only limiting their audience and in result they get less profits. Exclusives were always a stupid idea.

Sony had a few years of being the king of console gaming, but now the Nintendo Switch has that title. So now Playstation (and Xbox) are working on cross-platform play, and Nintendo has no interest in it.

Edit: an ethical company would work on cross-platform play all of the time, no matter how popular they are, because that's best for consumers. But Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo care about profits, not people.

Leave a comment:

• flashmozzg
    Phoronix Member

• flashmozzg
    replied
    Originally posted by Pranos View Post

No. It was PS3.
    And PS2.

Leave a comment:

• Linuxxx

• Linuxxx
    replied
    Here's an interesting Sony & PlayStation related history piece that also provides some comedic value:
    20 Years Later: How Concerns About Weaponized Consoles Almost Sunk the PS2

Before the PlayStation 5 arrives, let's remember the time gamers almost didn't experience the Sony PlayStation 2 because Japan felt it had military applications.
    https://www.pcmag.com/news/20-years-...t-sunk-the-ps2

Now it finally makes sense why it's called Sony Computer Entertainment!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X