Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME to prevent theming, wider community not happy

GNOME to prevent theming, wider community not happy

Can you please research and publish a news article about it? It seems quite disgusting to me.

Oh, I've already let Michel know about it (three days ago actually) but recently he's stopped writing about such topics. You're extremely unlikely to see it here on Phoronix. Everything is fine in the world of Linux or getting only better.

Also, Gnome doesn't prevent anyone from theming GTK-based applications, they've just made it near impossible for mere mortals. You now have to write a C library in order to theme applications, something most theme creators will never touch.

When GTK 3.0 was released I already spoke how the library had started to become sort-of closed and basically owned by RedHat and people argued with me. Well, maybe I was right after all. It was originally GIMP toolkit, nowadays it's Gnome-RedHat-Wayland-Touch toolkit.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      Oh, I've already let Michel know about it (three days ago actually) but recently he's stopped writing about such topics. You're extremely unlikely to see it here on Phoronix. Everything is fine in the world of Linux or getting only better.

Also, Gnome doesn't prevent anyone from theming GTK-based applications, they've just made it near impossible for mere mortals. You now have to write a C library in order to theme applications, something most theme creators will never touch.

When GTK 3.0 was released I already spoke how the library had started to become sort-of closed and basically owned by RedHat and people argued with me. Well, maybe I was right after all. It was originally GIMP toolkit, nowadays it's Gnome-RedHat-Wayland-Touch toolkit.
      How disgusting is this...

Are they sponsored by Microsoft?

Comment

Best thing ever.

Now Gnome will finally have a consistent look enforced across all applications.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
          Best thing ever.

And what if I don't like the look, and (is the only application for a task/the alternative is inferior/I don't feel like switching)?

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
            Best thing ever.

What a shame Gnome's design language is absolutely disgusting. I'd almost agree with you if they at least made it look like Windows since that's actually designed by committee and not just some pretentious git's idea of what macOS should look like.

Comment

Trolls cry under KDE articles that "Plasma 5's default theme is ugly" (oh look man !!!! the devs invest a lot in bugfixes and new features, but can't create a good theme !!!!!!!!!!!!), meanwhile GNOME devs pee on the whole GTK theming and enforce their ugly Adwaita theme.

Comment

I told them a while ago, respectfully and constructively, that I don't agree with how they were handling the project. Because for all the reports people were opening for a long time, they closed every single of them without a proper explanation. Not some, but ALL. Every single time, with an abrasive dismissive reply.

For instance we reported some of those bugs to GNOME forks, and their developers fixed them. Simple bugs like, for example, that gedit wasn't getting focus when you clicked a new file on the file manager, while using Kwin with focus stealing prevention set at the lowest level. Fixed on pluma, closed in gedit saying that Kwin was buggy.

What has been my surprise that, after a few months of that report without further activity (I gave up), the only thing I know is that my account has been blocked.

But after a decade of involvement in libre software development, I have learned the lesson. When you see people behaving like this there can be no deal. You are ALWAYS better moving into something else.

Comment

Originally posted by StarterX4 View Post
                  Trolls cry under KDE articles that "Plasma 5's default theme is ugly" (oh look man !!!! the devs invest a lot in bugfixes and new features, but can't create a good theme !!!!!!!!!!!!), meanwhile GNOME devs pee on the whole GTK theming and enforce their ugly Adwaita theme.
                  Actually, the KDE devs spent a LOT of time in adding features and refining the theme that it became one of the buggiest desktop environments (Amazing KDE Quality!), but now they are dedicating all of their time to bug fixing!

Comment

tildearrow I strongly digress with Plasma being buggy, that removing all features is better, and that going against the will of any other desktop environment and a big part of users is justified.

The problem is simple: narrow mind and ego. Not a badly understood opinion, but plain stubbornness. A lost case, time to move into something else.

Comment

Working...
                    X