A Prominent, Longtime Dell Linux Engineer Recently Joined AMD's Linux Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
    Maybe he will create that graphics control panel that so many of us need and desire because AMD wants to respond to customer demand.
    Unless it's built on a common core with frontends for multiple toolkits. No thanks.

Comment

More people focussing their efforts on the open source code at AMD will be a good thing. Hopefully one day they can even make it so their GPU's don't require closed source blobs for the firmware and maybe even open source the PSP for the CPU's but I doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by PublicNuisance View Post
        More people focussing their efforts on the open source code at AMD will be a good thing. Hopefully one day they can even make it so their GPU's don't require closed source blobs for the firmware and maybe even open source the PSP for the CPU's but I doubt it.
        don't require closed source blobs for the firmware - I think you are asking too much.

Comment

What is it with this damn fascination of 'needing' a control panel ? Is it for something specific ?

Comment

Originally posted by pete910 View Post
            What is it with this damn fascination of 'needing' a control panel ? Is it for something specific ?
            I don't like having to write scripts or launch things from the terminal every single time I need to use a non-default feature. Like on Windows, I'd rather open up a Control Panel, set some defaults, and then set alternates as needed.

Need to OC or UV for X, Y, or Z games? Brush up on Bash because it's now time to write a script. Once it gets big enough you'll want to write your own systemd service.

But I'm gaming in 1080p and my desktop is in 4K. Well, launch it from the terminal with XRandR and add scaling options to your script.

But I'm on Wayland and can't use XRandR for scaling. Then add an if/then for X11/Wayland for XRandR/Gamescope.

Linux will never succeed if people have to write their own scripts and services because people need to set per-game tweaks or have to remember long terminal commands to cope with resolution, scaling, and X-Way on the Isplay Day. It's fine for one or two games, but I have almost 200 on Steam, 60 on Epic, 8 on Origin, 15 on Uplay, and 3 on GOG. There are a couple games that aren't tied to a platform because I bought it from the maker...like with X Plane 11 last night. So when you have something like 250+ games, managing that manually or with Bash/systemd isn't fun.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I don't like having to write scripts or launch things from the terminal every single time I need to use a non-default feature. Like on Windows, I'd rather open up a Control Panel, set some defaults, and then set alternates as needed.

Need to OC or UV for X, Y, or Z games? Brush up on Bash because it's now time to write a script. Once it gets big enough you'll want to write your own systemd service.

But I'm gaming in 1080p and my desktop is in 4K. Well, launch it from the terminal with XRandR and add scaling options to your script.

But I'm on Wayland and can't use XRandR for scaling. Then add an if/then for X11/Wayland for XRandR/Gamescope.

Linux will never succeed if people have to write their own scripts and services because people need to set per-game tweaks or have to remember long terminal commands to cope with resolution, scaling, and X-Way on the Isplay Day. It's fine for one or two games, but I have almost 200 on Steam, 60 on Epic, 8 on Origin, 15 on Uplay, and 3 on GOG. There are a couple games that aren't tied to a platform because I bought it from the maker...like with X Plane 11 last night. So when you have something like 250+ games, managing that manually or with Bash/systemd isn't fun.
              Have you ever tried out "CoreCtrl"?
              Never used it myself, however heard that it should be quite suitable for tasks like these.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
                Have you ever tried ......
                This.

It's not up to me to try. It's up to AMD to provide. That is the modern GPU offering. Drivers come with controls. Period.

Originally posted by pete910 View Post
                It's AMD's job to provide and they are failing. We are noticing that they are failing, and we are speaking up and speaking out about said failure.

Comment

Imagine that there was a cpu company that hired enough people so IT Directors wouldn't laugh uncontrollably when you showed them their 'Not Yet Supported' list.

Crap on Intel all you want, but they go balls deep with enterprise/linux software support, and they also have Fabs in tbe USA. Something that will become extremely important when CCPness Biden hands over Taiwan to China.

Comment

With Mario gone, is there anyone left at Dell ensuring their laptops work properly with Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post
                      Something that will become extremely important when CCPness Biden hands over Taiwan to China.
                      Is there some particular policy that makes you think Biden likes China? Because as far as I'm aware, he seems to have continued pretty much every policy that Trump started without any changes.

The only differences seem to be that Biden is willing to talk about human rights (making China hate him even more) and he hasn't invited a bunch of their leaders over to his personal golf club in order to try and get buddy-buddy with them - which I doubt China cares about one way or the other.

Comment

Working...
                      X