Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hard drive noisy and privacy

Hello,
    I just bought new hard drive but its noisy and i want sell it.

But i am concerned about privacy.
    I created lvm+luks before copy anything in.

Do you know if i delete the content and lvm/luks, if the buyer try to recovery, its only crypted data that can show up ?
    Last edited by kripteks; 21 August 2021, 03:48 PM.

you might want to take a look to the shred utility

Comment

cat /dev/zero > /dev/sdX

Comment

Originally posted by avem View Post
        cat /dev/zero > /dev/sdX
        if you are *really* paranoid, one single write over your data might not be enough!

Comment

I found on the web that with luks encrypted data we dont realy need to shred/zero, so just delete files/partition are sufficant, i guess.

But situation change:
          I tried to rotate the disk to try if i get lower noise on vertical or downside and at the end it seem a bit lowered noise with the same horizontal rotation than before, i just put in the bottom of the rack of 2 slot before it was on top.
          That strange, maybe with "using it" the noise get better, i dont know.
          I just know in iddle i have (some mechanical) noise, with read/copy i have less or almost zero (mechanical) noise.

Maybe in night time i heard better, its day here now.
          Last edited by kripteks; 23 August 2021, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kripteks View Post
            I found on the web that with luks encrypted data we dont realy need to shred/zero, so just delete files/partition are sufficant, i guess.
            yes, I believe it is enough.

as always, when it comes to privacy/paranoid, there is a full spectrum of requirements that goes from deleting the partition table to using tools like shred up to physically destroing the device.

it all depends on how sensitive you data are, how much do you trust the encryption you used and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

if you are *really* paranoid, one single write over your data might not be enough!
              It's a stupid urban myth that hard drives created over 30 years ago could still retain magnetism in adjacent tracks after a single write. No one has ever been able to restore data this way.

Comment

It's a stupid urban myth that hard drives created over 30 years ago could still retain magnetism in adjacent tracks after a single write. No one has ever been able to restore data this way.
                why you just quoted that part and omitted this one?

"yes, I believe it is enough."

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

why you just quoted that part and omitted this one?

"yes, I believe it is enough."
                  I just wanted to make it clear for all those people who continue to use shred with multiple passes and thus waste time and energy in the process.

Comment

I just wanted to make it clear for all those people who continue to use shred with multiple passes and thus waste time and energy in the process.
                    that's fine.

I only disagree on the term "waste": if that time and energy are spent to make them feel better, then it's ok!

Comment

Working...
                    X