No announcement yet.

Microsoft Announces Windows 11 - Benchmarks Against Linux To Begin Soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It really makes you wonder what sort of cretins do they have working on their os "vision".

Take them "3d objects" that came with 10 - evidently, they deemed 3d objects so mainstream that it merits a dedicated entry in the file explorer. And I guess that makes perfect sense, it is not like people are gonna keep their meshes together with the projects they are part of, not when there is a special place for that on os level.

Just what I was missing. I've always struggled figuring where to keep my 3d objects.
    Last edited by ddriver; 24 June 2021, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Now Windows run Android apps out-of-the-box, mean while Linux distributions still does not run Android apps out-of-the-box even though Android is based on Linux.
      It is possible to run Android apps on Linux but you have to use Anbox, it doesn't work out of the box, you can't install it as a Snap, Flatpak or Deb, you need to have some weird install that installs a Linux kernel module.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Now Windows run Android apps out-of-the-box
        But why? What makes android pretty much useless for anything other than toy devices is the complete and utter lack of useful software.

Is running useless android apps a good return of investment for the increase in code, needed to facilitate it?

Comment

Anyone who thought 10 was the last version of Windows was kidding themselves. Even the longest term Linux distributions have version changes because after enough time enough shit changes that you can't claim compatibility with 1.0 of a product...especially when you're on version 12 of those releases like Windows 10 is. Yes. (According to Wikipedia) There have been 12 Windows 10 releases. To put that into Linux perspective, using an OG Windows 10 install disk and updating the OS would be equivalent to running a dist-upgrade on Ubuntu 16.04 and upgrading it to 21.04. At some point in time it's just unreasonable to expect that to be sustainable and viable. They were kidding themselves if they thought they could keep up with it.

All the changes in graphics APIs like Vulkan and DX12 is enough to warrant an new Windows release let alone all the other changes that have occurred over the years. Their choices were either Windows 10 $DATE or Windows 11. IMHO, Windows 11 is the easier of the two names when having to deal with dumb or ignorant people. It saves a shitload of "But I'm on Windows 10", "You're on Windows 10 $EARLIER_DATE and you need to be on at least Windows 10 $LATER_DATE" conversations.

Comment

Originally posted by ddriver View Post

But why? What makes android pretty much useless for anything other than toy devices is the complete and utter lack of useful software.

Is running useless android apps a good return of investment for the increase in code, needed to facilitate it?
            The only thing in 11 that made kind of jealous as a linux user, this android app integration.

Comment

Probably not, but I do like the ability to play games I bought on Android on other platforms. Maybe some of the astronomy apps...

So I suppose it is a good return of investment. Keeps Windows as the "we run every fucking thing under the sun" platform.

And I think making Android even more useless is the point. Windows 11 Mobile now with Google Play support. I'd consider it.

Comment

I do have to agree with you. I also think that Android just have junk software.

Comment

In other words Windows 11 will have even more built-in Microsoft malware and spyware, and an even more dumbed down user interface, than Windows 10.

With Microsoft now pulling out all the stops to assure that every user keystroke and vocal utterance can be recorded, analyzed, packaged, and sold to everyone and anyone that can pay for it.

So while Windows 10 was the world's first "legal" botnet, Windows 11 puts it to shame as its even more lethal younger brother.

Looking to the future we can expect Windows 12 to require a DNA sample to log in, completing humanity's journey to an almost inescapable surveillance state.

However, having said all this, and despising Microsoft as much or more than anyone, I must confess that two weeks ago I had to either switch to Windows 10 as my desktop OS, or abandon my once again burgeoning musical career.

For years I used Reaper under Wine, and a KVM passthrough Windows 10 VM for Band in the Box and a few other incompatible apps. And this was fine when I was working completely on my own.

However some amazing recent developments once again awarded me with bandmates and a producer, though they're in different states so we have to collaborate online. And it turned out that trying to run a DAW with multiple tracks and instruments under the VM didn't work as there were pops and glitches galore. So I desperately tried to switch everyone from Studio One to Reaper or Bitwig, but neither of the Linux native versions of these are functionally ready for prime time. There were also plug in compatibility issues, and glitches when playing too many tracks even with the native versions.

And in the end the simple fact was that everyone else had spent years with Studio One, building up vast libraries of musical content, and Studio One simply won't run under Wine.

So my only hope now is that one day Wine will be capable of running complex DAWs. Otherwise it looks like I'm going to be stuck on Windows for a very, very, long time.

Comment

M$ is in the habit of introducing little to no use junk as "goodies" to lube plebs and shove them stuff that nobody really wants.

Beware greedy, moral devoid sociopathic bearers of gifts...

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
                      Looking to the future we can expect Windows 12 to require a DNA sample to log in
                      A mix of hair, stool and blood samples.

Comment

Working...
                      X