Microsoft Announces Windows 11 - Benchmarks Against Linux To Begin Soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Announces Windows 11 - Benchmarks Against Linux To Begin Soon

Phoronix: Microsoft Announces Windows 11 - Benchmarks Against Linux To Begin Soon

As expected this morning Microsoft officially lifted the curtain on Windows 11 as the latest evolutionary step to their operating system past Windows 10...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

When Win 10 was released, Microsoft said v10 would be the "last version" of Windows, and that going forward, Windows OS would be a rolling release, like a SaaS model. Didn't them long to change course yet again. LMAO. Can't wait to experience all the new spy-ware they've baked in!

Comment

I would certainly hope they'd do something about the atrocious update times. I don't use windows at all in my personal life, but at work I manage virtual windows servers running on linux hosts. A standard Server 2019 VM takes 2-4 hours to install the latest cumulative update every month. For comparison, server 2016 (same specs, same hardware) "only" takes around 30-45 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
        When Win 10 was released, Microsoft said v10 would be the "last version" of Windows, and that going forward, Windows OS would be a rolling release, like a SaaS model. Didn't them long to change course yet again. LMAO.
        I literally read the article summary from Michael as "Microsoft officially lifted the curtain on Windows 11 the LAST evolutionary step to their operating system" :rollseyes:

WIndows 11 -- the last last last last last last Windows.

Edit 2:

Originally posted by lectrode View Post
        I would certainly hope they'd do something about the atrocious update times. I don't use windows at all in my personal life, but at work I manage virtual windows servers running on linux hosts. A standard Server 2019 VM takes 2-4 hours to install the latest cumulative update every month. For comparison, server 2016 (same specs, same hardware) "only" takes around 30-45 minutes.
        Yeah as a onsite IT it was PAINFUL doing Windows Updates, we often took the machine to a place we could do updates and wait it out.

If I was the engineer, I would containerize everything on Windows, dump the OS and start scraping away the crud that is NTFS, and other technologies from the last century. Clearly all the SHINY improvements can't fix the shit rotten subfloor and core.

--

Edit 3: I'm dying laughing after watching the Windows 11 video -- they literally use the same shitty music & tagline from South Park Sodosopa "Welcome Home" XD

(SodoSopa @ 1:23)

(Win 11 @ 2:34)
        Windows 11 brings you closer to what you love.Family, friends, obsessions, music, creations — Windows 11 is the one place for it all. With a fresh new feel a...

SouthPark is prophetic.

@ 2:04 "Unrivaled gaming experience"

**facepalm** Windows may still have the upperhand, but I would argue the experience is pretty shitty compared to consoles and even in some instances far worse than on Linux. 7,000 native Linux games is 7,000 reasons not to use Windows, plus maybe the other 10,000 Proton.
        Last edited by ElectricPrism; 24 June 2021, 01:06 PM.

Comment

When comes to benchmarks it will be more informative to see Ubuntu performance governor included as well. Even with the slowest set up Ubuntu wipes the floor with windows, but performance governor should completly destroy the m$ spyware OS.

Comment

Originally posted by lectrode View Post
            We've experienced the same. Part of the reason why we now have ~120 RHEL servers and only 4 Windows servers, LOL. For comparison, a 'yum upgrade' on RHEL takes ~5 minutes, even with months worth of patches to apply.

Comment

Wtf the UI looks like KDE with maybe some minor modifications to make it look a bit more like MacOS...

I will never understand why Microsoft, with their success over Apple in the desktop department, would ever think it's a good idea to imitate Apple in the desktop department instead of continuing what they were originally doing...

Also what happened to Windows 10 being the last windows? pfft, what a bunch of losers, can't even stick to their word.

Comment

About a year ago I noticed that so many pages on the Microsoft MSDN / TechNet and admin sites kept stating that "Windows is a service and so..." and yet now, I can't find any instance of this. So it seems like they have backtracked a little until they can find a better way to trick us plebs.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                  When Win 10 was released, Microsoft said v10 would be the "last version" of Windows, and that going forward, Windows OS would be a rolling release, like a SaaS model. Didn't them long to change course yet again. LMAO. Can't wait to experience all the new spy-ware they've baked in!
                  They evidently managed to make an even crappier os... so let's all join hands and celebrate this scumbag corporation taking another dump on the world!

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                    About a year ago I noticed that so many pages on the Microsoft MSDN / TechNet and admin sites kept stating that "Windows is a service and so..." and yet now, I can't find any instance of this. So it seems like they have backtracked a little until they can find a better way to trick us plebs.
                    YOU MUST HAVE NOT UNDERSOOD US CORRECTLY -- Microsoft Gaslighting Probably.

Remember when they wanted to FORCE all software to be installed through the Windows Store with Windows 10+10S (more or less: https://superuser.com/questions/1242...windows-10s-pc )

I wonder what new Douchebaggery awaits us from Microsoft taking away users ability to install .EXE's

Comment

Working...
                    X