Linus Torvalds Encourages Kernel Developers & Everyone To Get Vaccinated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Should enough people refuse to take vaccines, covid will become yet another culprit of the common cold. The only difference is its contagiousness.
    ... and the whole "dying" thing. Lots of people are infected by the common cold every year, and we accept that because it rarely kills them. If the common cold had anything like the 1-2% mortality rate we see with COVID-19 (numbers say 2%, people say 1%) then we would be a lot more likely to wear masks for cold and flu as well.

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Bear in mind too, not everyone needs to be vaccinated. After a certain percentage of the population is vaccinated, the disease doesn't have enough viable hosts to spread to. If people keep wearing masks and social distance until we get to that point, it is reasonable to suggest covid will come to an end. The tricky part is, there are enough people refusing to get vaccinated that we might not ever reach that percentage.
    Yep, this is what everyone seems to forget... the answer is not just vaccines or just lockdowns or just distancing or just masks, it's the combination of all the precautions. The problem is that the general public doesn't seem to want to hear anything more complicated than "it's over, do whatever you want" and our leaders are going along with public sentiment (locking down too late and too crudely, opening up too early) because they view pandemics as an election opportunity.

The problem is that only a sufficiently high percentage of vaccination can provide the kind of "don't worry be happy" solution that the general public wants, but if a sufficiently high percentage of the public does not want to get vaccinated then we have a problem because the same people who don't want to get vaccinated also don't think they should be following other precautions either.

That said, one pattern I have noticed is that a significant number of non-vaccinated people are in that state because their work & family obligations make it really hard to take time out for vaccination, and that things like non-mandatory workplace vaccination clinics go a long way to solving the problem. The people saying "no" don't necessarily represent all the non-vaccinated people.

Going back to Phoronix-related topics, why is there not more discussion about the SW stack on these alleged vaccine microchips ? Why do we think Bill Gates is promoting them given that they probably run Linux anyways... or are we thinking "Linux over HyperV" ?

Do they have wide area networking capability or is the theory that the desired behaviour they are going force on us is already programmed into the microchips ? If we have almost a billion people vaccinated, surely someone would have reverse-engineered them by now, if only enough to run desktop Linux on them.
    Last edited by bridgman; 15 June 2021, 11:10 AM.
    Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by ZeroPointEnergy View Post
      I'm just very skeptical that we can get rid of this eventually. We will not get enough people immunized to catch up with the mutations that are already existing. I think the best outcome we can hope for is that we have a similar situation to the common cold or flu, where your immunity may still be somewhat recognizing the virus as it constantly changes and that just makes another common cold virus out of it.

Correct me if I'm wrong and there is still a chance to prevent this, but I don't see how.
      That's been my concern: This one mutates at a relatively high rate, faster then the flu for sure. I'm worried this is basically the new flu, and we're going to have yearly lockdowns going forward.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gps4life View Post
        No they don't, covid is spread by aerosols which are so small the mask does not help.
        I truly wish people would actually take trouble to educate themselves, before trotting out stupid statements like this.

Virions are indeed small enough that mask doesn't stop them individually in unattached form (hundred micrometers roughly when it comes to covid) but aerosol or dust particles virions attach to, are large enough for filters to catch.

It's been already proved that initial viral load when you get infected does affect the outcome of the illness. When you get hit by less of a viral load, you have higher probabilities of making through because your immune system will not be overloaded as fast, after virus starts replicating itself in your body. Does it make sense or I would have to dumb the idea down even more?

Masks differ: I used 3M half-mask (or full-face gas mask in danger zones during the height of the pandemic in my locality) with 3D printed 3M-to-RD40 threading adapters between mask and filters. Filters with RD40 "NATO threading" are quite a bit cheaper than 3M filters and my gas mask uses same. It didn't protect anyone except me due mask having exhalation valve. But it did protect me well as long as I kept changing filters on a regular basis.

Surgical cloth masks give some small protection (~50% if lucky) to users and mostly block aersol spread during exhalation/sneezing/coughing for the most part. Surgical masks protect others rather than wearer. There's reason surgeons wear those.

Disposable single-use stuff could protect just you or also others depending on whether it has exhalation valve or you exhale through filter. If it has valve it means anything you exhale goes through unfiltered but filters themselves would last longer for it.

Scarfs and shit like this has very little effect and it's limited to catching larger aerosol particles, is all. Still better than nothing.

For your information: FFP2/3 filters have small static electric charge which does the filtering. Virus/aerosol clings to charged element, it's not just "size of the hole in filters". When that static charge is gone, filter needs replacement. It's still usable as dust filter, dont throw them away.
        Last edited by aht0; 15 June 2021, 02:56 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Qaridarium
          Mask do not work against microwave weapon attacks.... and the microwave weapon attack cause the same symtoms like a flu/corona virus
          also the microwave weapon attack force the body cells to produce virus like particels this means if you microscope it it looks like virus particles.

READ THIS REPORT FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THIS: http://zaprasza.net/files/INVESTIGATIVE-REPORT.pdf
          It's just pdf-full of bullshit targeted at gullible and stupid.

Comment

• Originally posted by coder View Post
            That makes you and your peers a viral reservoir, like bats, where the virus can circulate and periodically jump to someone in a vulnerable population.

I got vaccinated not out of personal concern, but because I didn't want to risk passing it (directly or indirectly) to anyone more vulnerable.
            I will never vaccinate. Now what? If vaccine you are praising so much works, why would anyone worry about me not being vaccinated? I thought you are fully protected if you take it?

Comment

• Originally posted by coder View Post
              This is an absurd statement. First, if you knew anything about the history of pandemics, you'd know the 1918 flu killed primarily young, healthy people.
              Covid-19 is not that, it's already been shown. Covid-19 death average is 80+, just like natural deaths. UK Government:
              "According to official NHS data which can be viewed here, as of the 2nd June 2021, 87,213 Covid deaths within 28 days of a positive test have been recorded in England hospitals. Of these 83,624 all died of other serious pre-existing conditions"

Young healthy people are perfectly safe. If you think otherwise, you haven't studied government's own data.

Originally posted by coder View Post
              Second, adolescents and young adults are definitely spreaders of Covid-19, even if they don't get serious symptoms. That's one of the reasons this virus is so bad -- that people can spread it before or without experiencing symptoms! That's why it's not enough to "simply stay home when you're sick"!
              Imagine disease so deadly you have to be tested to know if you have it. I won't risk hurting myself with experimental drug, I'll leave that to you And anyway, you've taken the vaccine so healthy young people are a no risk to you - you are protected by vaccine, right? Right...?
              No.. Oops: https://dailyexpose.co.uk/2021/06/12...-in-15-months/

Finally, healthy people get seriously ill and die of Covid-19, as well as other diseases.
              Where are these people? You mean that 500 (in age group 30-39) people out of 8 million? I will take my chances.

Just because poor health increases your risk of bad outcomes doesn't mean good health is perfect protection!
              Are you saying vaccine is a perfect protection then? Where are studies confirming it's efficiency?

Comment

• Originally posted by piorunz View Post
                I will never vaccinate. Now what? ...
                Now what?

You are going to get old and die of old age. This is what we have been doing since forever. Old people die of something, cancer, Alzheimers, dementia, Parkinson's, an infection, the flu or now covid.

It is just going to be one of the things we hope a future generation will solve, because why should we do it?! Most people do not get vaccinated for the flu either, which is why the flu remains with us forever. Only when people get old enough do they start caring and get a flu shot. Latest when they are in their retirement homes and another room opens up, because the owner died last night of the flu, do they want the flu shot. Only when people finally see a good reason, which is to save their own ass, do they want it.

We could get rid of the flu if we wanted, and give our children a better future where there is no flu and no flu shots. We could prevent climate change, too, and do lots more, but it is just too much effort just to get off the chair sometimes. The Greater Good has to wait. Let somebody else do it.

That's what.
                Last edited by sdack; 15 June 2021, 06:02 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by sdack View Post
                  Now what?

You are going to get old and die of old age. This is what we have been doing since forever. Old people die of something, cancer, Alzheimers, dementia, Parkinson's, an infection, the flu or now covid.

It is just going to be one of the things we hope a future generation will solve, because why should we do it?! Most people do not get vaccinated for the flu either, which is why the flu remains with us forever. Only when people get old enough do they start caring and get a flu shot. Latest when they are in their retirement homes and another room opens up, because the owner died last night of the flu, do they want the flu shot. Only when people finally see a good reason, which is to save their own ass, do they want it.

We could get rid of the flu if we wanted, and give our children a better future. We could prevent climate change, too, and do lots more, but it is just too much effort just to get off the chair sometimes. The Greater Good has to wait. Let somebody else do it.

That's what.
                  Have you actually studied flu vaccine efficacy, or your post is only to show your dreamed up scenario? You know, flu shots don't work for majority of people who take it, no one ever told you? Flu shots are just a cash cow for pharmaceutical companies.

Comment

• Originally posted by piorunz View Post
                    Flu shots are just a cash cow for pharmaceutical companies.
                    So why not get a job there?

Comment

• Originally posted by sdack View Post
                      So why not get a job there?
                      Why would I? You are the one who praises vaccines, maybe you should. I stay away from toxins which my body doesn't need.

Comment

Working...
                      X