Linus Torvalds Encourages Kernel Developers & Everyone To Get Vaccinated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gps4life View Post
    There is no proof those mouth mask work. The ones that might help, I am not allowed to wear. (netherlands)
    There are lots of proof those mouth masks do work, even basic physics and common sense support that. It's pretty dumb to claim otherwise.

The primary source and largest amount of virus is spread by being sprayed out of your nose and mouth, the masks covering your nose and mouth stops nearly all of that. If anything at all pass trough, the mask will limit the airspeed and thus reduce the distance of spread.

Comment

• Originally posted by sdack View Post
      Let us say COVID had a 100% survival rate. So does a broken leg. But do you want it?! ... Fuck, no!

Anti-vaxers rather break a leg than to walk carefully, because they have no experience, they only run, and now they hear that somebody who walked carefully got hit by a bus!

What is also funny is that they can imagine the worst in vaccines, how big pharma and the state is behind it, but they cannot imagine the worst from a virus! To them is the virus something completely natural, never ever did it come from a lab, nor was it a government plot (they think they know this much...), but vaccines come from a lab! So vaccines must be evil and have to be a government plot!

If this is not comedy, then what is it?
      Broken leg could kill you in less than 2 minutes flat if bone fracture happens to cut into femoral artery in thigh. It's effect would be roughly equal to cutting one's throat, when it comes to sheer loss of blood. Broken leg's not the best of examples.

Stupidest part is that all these antivaxxer theories seem to backtrack to fairly few people on global scale. Low dozens. Who have business interest in it often enough. Rest of the idiots just share-repeat-add to what these "authoritative expert's" bullshit-generators happen to come up with.

And while centuries a go similar people existed, preached armageddon, doom etc from street corners - their "message" never made it further than aural range and massive majority considered them just loons.
      Internet gave these idiots ability to be heard globally and find likewise idiots easily. When you repeat some lie enough and especially when you mix in half-truths and also play on audience's fears - you can fool lots of people effectively and gradually become believable to somewhat saner folks too.
      Last edited by aht0; 13 June 2021, 05:32 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ddriver View Post
        Most people apparently don't know the first requisite towards power dominance - be your own opposition.
        Whether or not that's a useful explanation isn't determined by whether you can make it fit, but by the lack of any better reason.

Originally posted by ddriver View Post
        Give people the official norm, and the official alternative, and nobody seems to seek any nuances in reality, both sides see only black and white, and the only difference between the two is they switch the labels, but regardless if black on white, or white on black - the picture is always false, and it doesn't have to do with the colors, but with the picture itself.
        This is not useful. There is such a thing as absolute fact, as elusive as it can sometimes be. If you want to advance the discussion towards facts and truth, you can start by finding fault with one side or the other, and making arguments supported by sound data and reason. Otherwise, this is just more noise.

Apologies for this expression of genuine truly personal opinion and the metaphor needed to facilitate it.
        We don't need or want apologies. Everyone has opinions. What matters is how you support your case. And your support is so far lacking. So, rather than trying to muddy the waters and hope to slide it through with an apology, I suggest you either make a serious case or maybe just sit this one out.

Oh yeah, it is totally optional, unless you want or need to:

Get or keep a job
        Be able to shop freely
        Be able to travel freely
        Be able to visit social and cultural events
        Not be avoided, excluded and publicly humiliated by the tolerant vaccinated that so respect your personal choice... as if you are a leper.
        ... the list goes on.
        This line of argumentation ignores the rights of people to do these things without being needlessly endangered by others.

Public health is about more people than just yourself, and it's one of the necessary compromises we make, in order to live in a modern society. If you'd rather live as a hermit on a mountain, be my guest, but don't pretend that you don't already make plenty of accommodations to gain the benefits of civilization and forgive me if I called anyone's bluff that this is really a breaking point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morty View Post
          There are lots of proof those mouth masks do work, even basic physics and common sense support that. It's pretty dumb to claim otherwise.

The primary source and largest amount of virus is spread by being sprayed out of your nose and mouth, the masks covering your nose and mouth stops nearly all of that. If anything at all pass trough, the mask will limit the airspeed and thus reduce the distance of spread.
          No they don't, covid is spread by aerosols which are so small the mask does not help.

Comment

No they don't, covid is spread by aerosols which are so small the mask does not help.
            Tell that to all the crybabies who supposedly can't breathe through a mask. Surely, the mask must restrict the range of airflow if people think they're suffocating in one. Do you think seatbelts and airbags don't help, just because in some cases they weren't sufficient?
            What the mask does is it immensely reduces the distance the aerosols travel, and it redirects them too. This isn't up for argument, there have been dozens of examples proving the effectiveness of masks. They aren't 100% assured to prevent transmission of an airborne illness and the type of mask (and more importantly, how you wear it) makes a difference too, but generally speaking, the cost:effectiveness ratio is so dramatic that it's just simply an unnecessary risk to not wear one, just like a seatbelt. The only difference is the mask is for everyone else's sake, whereas a seatbelt is just for you.

Comment

The significantly largest portion of virus particles spread by you are in expelled droplets and the masks stop those. And since those droplets are stopped by the masks, they can not evaporate into smaller and smaller droplets leading to aerosol virus. So obviously masks help, nobody claim they are 100%. But reducing the virus load by 99% will reduce the spread.
              Last edited by Morty; 13 June 2021, 07:49 PM.

Comment

I makes me sad , how many people trust there governments, and the big pharma.
                It's not blind trust. Blind trust is definitely bad. The vaccine research, trials, and authorization process were closely scrutinized, in most countries. That's the opposite of blind trust.

Originally posted by Gps4life View Post
                For this to be a pandemic they had to change the defention of what a pandemic is.
                I think I know what you mean, and I think it's a disingenuous point. In case I'm wrong, please inform us of precisely how it changed and how that's relevant to your point.

In most countries they needed an emergency law, to be able to use this not so well tested as some claim, vaccine.
                What the trials lacked in duration, they made up for in participation. The main short cuts were moving up the human trial phase of the process, however. Those all-important steps weren't omitted. The other way this differed from normal vaccine production is that mass production started before the trials had been completed.

What's at issue is that you're seizing on these distinctions as if they tell us something. Instead, why not follow the questions through to their answers, and you might find that they aren't actually cause for concern?

Then there is the PCR test, and the Gorman Drosten papers. Those papers are the base of the measurements in all or most countries.

I had to register again to reply, so not sure I can post links yet.
                Try using words to explain what you think they show. For sure, testing was overused and misused, but the hospitalizations and death numbers can be used to help bracket any statistical uncertainty in the testing data.

I think we can end where you started. You sound like you really just don't want to believe in what government and pharma are saying. I think that's the real issue, and it's an understandable point of view. What we need to do, in such cases, is look for fair analysis of what they're saying and doing, rather than searching for sources that agree with our original point of view.

Let me ask you this: what's the chance that your intuition or first take on everything is correct 100% of the time? If you've ever been wrong about anything, then why not consider each new issue on neutral footing and look for genuinely fair analysis, rather than to assume you're correct and merely looking for information and voices that agree with you? If you care about getting to the right answers, it's clear to me which approach is more reliable.

Comment

I was just replying when Morty beat me to it. Do read up, there are a lot of good medical journals that cover this in fine detail. Masks have verified effectiveness at different levels, to say they do not help is just incorrect.

Comment

• Originally posted by ozeszty View Post
                    Evidence based medicine shows that there are effective treatments, especially with repurposed drugs.
                    Even so, there are still daily fatalities in the best-resourced states with the best-equipped hospitals and the most experienced staff. So, don't confuse effective treatments for a cure.

Comment

• Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                      I am just leaving it here:

In a discovery that challenges long-held dogma in biology, researchers show that mammalian cells can convert RNA sequences back into DNA, a feat more common in viruses than eukaryotic cells.

So apparently almighty "god" linus torvalds told people that it is impossible to change your DNA through RNA, well, that aged well...
                      Cellular biology is extremely complex and full of nuances. I think there's quite a large gap between the claims in that study (which have yet to be replicated, as far as I can tell) and showing that the same is true of mRNA -- particularly that of extracellular origin.

If the purpose of RNA -> DNA transcription is indeed for DNA repair, then it seems extremely unlikely mRNA from a vaccine would happen to align correctly with a broken DNA strand such that this would even happen. That's different than saying it never could happen, but then we all get numerous mutations in our DNA, over our lifetimes. So, even this possibility should be kept in perspective.

Comment

Working...
                      X