Linus Torvalds Encourages Kernel Developers & Everyone To Get Vaccinated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by discordian View Post
    Its not being intolerant to point out falsehoods.
    You didn't point out falsehoods though, you just called people names.

Comment

• Originally posted by sdack View Post
      Linus is trying, but he is indeed well known for his sociopathic tantrums. It is partly a problem with the people around him, who did not tell him to shut up, but who allowed it to happen and thereby enabled this behaviour, which is really a defense mechanism of his. We all have such mechanisms. We all can then use a friend who tells us to shut up when we say dumb things. However, there is not always time for it and we think there are more important matters. Thus are programmers often known for being "trolls" or "basement dwellers" or "nerds".
      I don't disagree with that, though one of the reasons people enabled him is because he often expressed what many were thinking but in a public way. Even if you don't agree with him, he's at least entertaining. That's why comedians like Bill Burr, Louis CK, and George Carlin got so famous.
      In this context, he is right to be angry, for 2 reasons:
      1. People are talking about vaccines on a kernel mailing list, which is highly unnecessary and unproductive.
      2. Anti-vaxxers are usually anti-science, selfish, or too political (or all 3). Each is annoying to someone whose job revolves around logic.
      There is then a reason why Nvidia had to switch to signed firmware blobs. Criminals had started modify the firmware to make a lower model appear like a more expensive one. Retailers could not tell the difference and customers ended up getting burned hard for their money. Anyone who ended up buying a fake card thought twice before buying Nvidia again. This became a great risk to Nvidia's image as a company and they had to ensure that customers got the right product and that such tampering could no longer happen. Hence the secure firmware. But ignorant as the open source community sometimes is when it comes to the interests of companies do they to this day bash Nvidia for it. I use the proprietary Nvidia drivers with their out-of-tree modules, get Vulkan, CUDA and VideoSDK support, and leave the angry rants to the nerds.
      Firmware isn't the problem. AMD has used closed firmware for a while too. The problem is the drivers, and more importantly, Nvidia's deliberate unwillingness to comply with the libraries and protocols everyone else is either using or trying to use.

Comment

• I think it's better to wait until more vaccine safety results are known.
        For example, In the UK where I live, there has been only 506 COVID-19 deaths in my age group 30-39. That's total from March 2020 until now. 500 people. That's 99.9944% survival rate. And that's official government data, I will be happy to provide source. I think I will take my chances. In the meantime, I will have a read at this:

https://www.naturalnews.com/2021-06-...epublican.html
        https://www.naturalnews.com/2021-06-...the-globe.html
        https://www.naturalnews.com/2021-06-...i-vaccine.html

It's always good to do research before you take experimental medication - COVID-19 vaccines are only allowed for emergency use under FDA approval. Clinical trials are to be finished in 2023. If you are under ~50, statistically you will not die of COVID-19, probability is so low. So you don't need to rush to take experimental vaccine.
        Last edited by piorunz; 11 June 2021, 09:43 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by piorunz View Post
          I think it's better to wait until more vaccine safety results are known.
          For example, In the UK where I live, there has been only 506 COVID-19 deaths in my age group 30-39. That's total from March 2020 until now. 500 people. That's 99.9944% survival rate. And that's official government data, I will be happy to provide source. I think I will take my chances. In the meantime, I will have a read at this:

https://www.naturalnews.com/2021-06-...epublican.html
          https://www.naturalnews.com/2021-06-...the-globe.html
          https://www.naturalnews.com/2021-06-...i-vaccine.html

It's always good to do research before you take experimental medication - COVID-19 vaccines are only allowed for emergency use under FDA approval. Clinical trials are to be finished in 2023. If you are under ~50, statistically you will not die of COVID-19, probability is so low. So you don't need to rush to take experimental vaccine.
          Not only that, but in your country, Tess Laurie and her BIRD group have an alternative to the vaccines that has a long history of safety in doses advocated for preventing COVID-19, which is roughly as effective as the vaccines are against their target variants, and maintains that effectiveness across variants (unlike the vaccines, so far).

There is no justification for mass vaccination of children, and nobody should be pressured to accept these vaccines despite their concerns, in the context of the viable alternatives.

DISCLAIM: I did not read your naturalnews links, and can not vouch for them.
          Last edited by microcode; 11 June 2021, 09:55 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by microcode View Post

Of course educated people go around slinging toilet metaphors against people who, unlike them, have the capacity to express their ideas.

Go for it, sport.
            Dunno about educated, but smart people generally get the joke...

Comment

It's always good to do research before you take experimental medication - COVID-19 vaccines are only allowed for emergency use under FDA approval. Clinical trials are to be finished in 2023.
              In this case it's actually good to do some research before you speak, and not spread nonsense.

The clinical trials are finished, the phase 3 trails where finished in November-January(depending on vaccine). There will be no more clinical trails for this, as they are already done. The things required for getting it to an non emergency use approval is pure bureaucracy.

Comment

Not only that, but in your country, Tess Laurie and her BIRD group have an alternative to the vaccines that has a long history of safety in doses advocated for preventing COVID-19, which is roughly as effective as the vaccines are against their target variants, and maintains that effectiveness across variants (unlike the vaccines, so far).

There is no justification for mass vaccination of children, and nobody should be pressured to accept these vaccines despite their concerns, in the context of the viable alternatives.

DISCLAIM: I did not read your naturalnews links, and can not vouch for them.
                Thanks for info.
                If you, or someone, find naturalnews source untrostworthy, here is the UK government source:

That's vaccines adverse reactions database for the UK. I've compiled some data from it for AstraZeneca vaccine:

AstraZeneca :695k reactions from 189k people, 831 fatalities

General disorders 222k (291 fatal)
                Nervous system disorders 150k (146 fatal)
                Muscle & tissue disorders 85k (1 fatal)
                Gastrointestinal disorders 69k (11 fatal)
                Skin disorders 42k (1 fatal)
                Respiratory disorders 22.5k (107 fatal)
                Infections 14700 (70 fatal)
                Psychiatric disorders 14000 (3 fatal)
                Eye disorders 11000 (0 fatal)
                Vascular disorders 9500 (50 fatal)
                Metabolic disorders 7700 (7 fatal)
                Ear disorders 7200 (0 fatal)
                Cardiac disorders 7200 (110 fatal)
                Injuries 6200 (2 fatal)
                Blood disorders 6000 (8 fatal)
                (list goes on like this for

That's complications (and deaths) reported after taking an AstraZeneca vaccine. And remember, you have 99.9944% survival rate if you are in 30-39 age group. Read, and weight your risks.

Comment

We have means to prevent infection that are safer and equally effective, the decision is not between getting a vaccine and getting symptomatic covid.
                  Like what? social distancing/isolation? Creating more ICU with lots of respirators? snorting sodium chloride? by drinking chlorine dioxide? Hydroxychloroquine?

Corona virus is having a big impact in the health system (mainly by the big idiots that cannot accept that they cannot go to party), but social distancing has their own consequences on the economic side that many countries will suffer the years to come. Regarding the pseudoscience behind drinking or snorting shit, I think is unnecessary to say that both options doesn't have any scientific study that supports their stated "benefits" against the virus.

Stop living in a bubble, the solutions that may work in your country will probably not work in many others.

Comment

In the UK where I live, there has been only 506 COVID-19 deaths in my age group 30-39. That's 99.9944% survival rate.
                    Even if the rate was 50% or less, why bother? When you are dead, then you are dead. All this number crunching is just "survival angst".

But I do get that when I transmit the virus to only one person and it makes them sick, then this is something I have to carry on my conscience for the rest of my life. It is then not even about them dying. It is those who survive with a damaged lung, and other damaged organs, which we will only learn more about in the coming years, that survivors have to live with. Do I really want to meet these people in a few years from now, look into their faces and say, "Sorry you got it bad, but I just cannot risk my life for you. It is either you or me, I am sure you understand." ... Does this sound like something you want to say then?

Comment

• Originally posted by Morty View Post
                      In this case it's actually good to do some research before you speak, and not spread nonsense.

The clinical trials are finished, the phase 3 trails where finished in November-January(depending on vaccine). There will be no more clinical trails for this, as they are already done. The things required for getting it to an non emergency use approval is pure bureaucracy.
                      No, we are still in phase 3. No, the difference between EUA and final approval is not pure bureaucracy. Ask a bioethicist or somebody who has run a drug through this process, they can tell you this stuff.

Comment

Working...
                      X