Linus Torvalds Encourages Kernel Developers & Everyone To Get Vaccinated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post

You OTOH seem to be in panic mode. Why so serious ?
    He's not wrong. If you can't get your information down into quick bits then the masses won't get it. That's why Trump has so many followers. Short, simple bits. That's how it works in a populist society....even facts....

The average person won't sit through 15 minutes of "He just kept talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt", it was really quite hypnotic.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
      One doctor, one "entrepreneur" and one dishonest "intellectual dark web" fuck. Yeah, gonna be the equal coverage shit where one side represents science the other some fringe flat-earth like bullshit and the moderator says the truth is in the middle.

Science aint done on youtube.
      Duh. It's a flat earth circle on top of a half-globe dome usually interpreted as the Cosmic Turtle. What the fuck did they teach you in science class?

Comment

Come on ... Linus wrote the same things that 90% of the population think. Get vaccinated! Stop listening to charlatans! Or maybe the earth is now flat?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Duh. It's a flat earth circle on top of a half-globe dome usually interpreted as the Cosmic Turtle. What the fuck did they teach you in science class?
          Turtles all the way down...

Comment

Short, simple bits. That's how it works in a populist society....even facts....

The average person won't sit through 15 minutes of "He just kept talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt", it was really quite hypnotic.
            This has nothing to do with a "populist society". People do not have time, not for a pandemic anyway, and why should they?! They want it quick and simple.

Anyone who can say something of importance in a short sentence is more trustworthy than someone who still needs to find the words for it. A message itself can be wrong, but at least one of them is smart enough to say it and gets their message out quicker.

Of course it works both ways. When a guy says he will make the US great again then this is an easy and simple message. If same guy says he could shoot somebody on the street and nobody would care for it then it is one, too. One message tells you that he wants to do something for the people, the other tells you that he has no conscience or a brain.

Comment

Originally posted by hipower View Post
              However, as a healthy 25 year old I will hold off being vaccinated for a year or two as I don't believe that the risk of receiving a novel vaccination is outweighed by the risk of contracting Covid and the potential complications that could follow.
              That attitude fails to take into account that vaccines aren't just about protecting yourself from the infection, it's equally about preventing yourself from unwittingly spreading it around if you get infected. Good health does not prevent or even hinder your ability to spread the virus when you get an infection. Those who can't get vaccinated due to immune system issues and small children too young to have gotten the vaccine rely on the herd immunity created when vaccine coverage exceeds 90% and when people like you refuse to get vaccinated it's never actually reached.

In plain English: By selfishly refusing to get vaccinated you're sabotaging the herd immunity necessary to protect those who for those who can't get vaccinated.

Furthermore, despite the anti-vax crowd likening the effects of the virus to a common cold, it's actually far more potent. Even perfectly young and healthy people have ended up with serious lung and cardiovascular damage they're never expected to recover from entirely. Thus as a perfectly healthy 32-year-old I do plan on getting vaccinated as where I live they opened up vaccination appointment reservations for 30-35-year-olds.

Comment

Man, you are badly misled by contemporary literature, its a hemisphere on a turtle: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Turtle

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post

Man, you are badly misled by contemporary literature, its a hemisphere on a turtle: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Turtle
                  I is from the South. We only got so much learnin.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                    I took the jab, but given that the CDC is calling a meeting as we speak over an unexpectedly increased rate of heart inflammation after Pfizer and Moderna, I'm not going to be pushing others to do it despite their concerns. Everyone's got to make their own decisions. I personally am highly suspicious of the efficacy claims for these vaccines, given that the flu vaccines are noted by the CDC annually to fall as low as 10-20% effective against the dominant flu strains. But my mom wanted me to get one so she'd feel safer around me, and I've had tons of jabs so I'm not worried about side effects for myself personally. But I highly doubt that having had the jab will make a life and death difference for me, as time marches on I'm assuming that we will find that the efficacy claims were vastly overstated, and that these covid jabs have a very slight protective effect that's quite possibly not worth the risk of severe side effects.
                    You are so obviously biased... You're open-minded to the symptoms of hypochondriacs and immune system responses, but you're skeptical of the effectiveness by comparing to flu vaccines, which are a totally different mechanism to mRNA.
                    It amazes me how people will grasp onto anything that resembles their way of thinking, no matter how illogical.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix_is_awesome View Post
                      How nice to have Linus Torvalds himself to tell the anti-vax people to shut up on the kernel mailing list yet him being an anti-antivax person can open his yapper on his own list without repercussions. Kind of like Twitter, a 140 character database lookup service or Facebook that was supposed to help liberate free speech yet will not let Donald Trump speak the truth. Something about the leftists. Even Torvalds himself, who famously showed his middle finger to NVidia for having binary blob drivers, was totally wrong about Nvidia. If you listened, you would have lost a few millions of dollars of investments.

Leftist views. what a pitty. While I support vaccination, I support letting people decide for themselves whether or not to inject themselves with something foreign.
                      Linus is all about community; Linux is supposed to be a community. You take the vaccine for the sake of the community. So to be an anti-vaxer, you are anti-community, because you care more about yourself and your principles than the greater good. That's not the Linux way.
                      The fact you brought up Twitter, Trump, and leftists tells us all we need to know about your personality and priorities. If it's not your way, it's wrong. Who cares about everyone else, I'm the only one important, amirite? Unlimited/unrestricted freedom of choice and speech is fine, who cares who else I negatively impact! Who cares about anybody else's freedoms? It's my life and I'm the most important! (/s)

Also, Linus wasn't wrong about Nvidia. To this day, Nvidia is still a thorn in the progress of a smooth Linux desktop experience.

Lastly, it's not a "leftist view" to encourage people to help fight off a disease that has killed millions. The fact people like you make vaccines political is why this world is screwed.
                      Last edited by schmidtbag; 11 June 2021, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X