Linus Torvalds Encourages Kernel Developers & Everyone To Get Vaccinated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sdack View Post
    No, you're wrong, too. I simply said that vaccines contain a fraction of the virus. I left out the details of how exactly this fraction is gained. This is not a dick measuring contest or who is more vein or bloated. None of you have created the vaccine. None of you have first hand experience of making it, and you, too, only trust the knowledge passed on to you of how roughly each vaccine was created. Sams as I do. I then try to keep it simple and not over-complicate explanations, because I suddenly believe myself to be some vaccine expert.
    Fair enough, though I'm not surprised that me and microcode confused what you meant.
    I don't actually entirely trust any sources. I have the most trust the sources with the most data, and I have no trust in news aggregators, blogs, politicians, or anecdotes. Like Linus, I don't need to be an expert, but I can refer to those who are. So far, actual experts, using the bountiful data they have collected, suggest the vaccine is a net gain and that complications are rare but not impossible. Pretty much all of them acknowledge the long-term effects are unknown, including whether a booster is even a necessity.

Comment

• Once nice thing about this pandemic is it highlights the crazy ones; to make banning them from your life easy.
      Last edited by elatllat; 11 June 2021, 01:00 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by microcode View Post

Dude, a country that doesn't address its citizens' problems first is not long for this world. As for European countries not receiving the promised number of vaccines, that is partly due to that increased order for vaccines done as a stunt by the Biden Administration (they ordered 50% more than we already had ordered); but mostly due to Europe waiting until the middle of the year to place their orders. The UK ordered their vaccines three months earlier than Western European countries, and they received the orders about that much earlier.

If you wanted to receive your order earlier, you at very least had to order earlier rather than waiting for more bids.

A country that wants to rule the world should be more careful with the rest of the world. If you can't do that, then you should stop being hypocrite, stoping right away of talking about "globalization" when it is convenient for them. The fact that you can think that this behavior is acceptable along side the foreign relations your country has is a prove that you live inside a bubble.

And regarding the vacs orders, many countries paid for the COVAX vaccines and got a big delay because "UK go first" (including rich EU countries). In the end, poorer countries in the COVAX intiative subsidized their vaccines... nice, doesn't it?

And after all this selfish behavior then you all wonder why leftist ideologies are gaining momentum in your countries. Please, stop reading shit on the internet and start traveling to the south hemisphere.

Originally posted by lano1106
        and finally, to me there is no point taking a risk with an experimental treatment for a virus that has a survival rate of 99.97%. This is insanity and people that are going along are putting way too much trust in authorities and/or have been deeply influenced by MSM propaganda...
        Not sure where you get your numbers, but the survival rate is around 98% (a little higher if your health system doesn't collapse, quite worst if it collapses).
        Last edited by Marco-GG; 11 June 2021, 04:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by lano1106
          I disagree with most of what he said. No one can claim that those vaccines are safe. I have seen that it create 20x more side effects than the standard vaccine does.
          You have seen what exactly? What is the “standard vaccine” you are talking about? What side effects are we talking about? A slight muscle pain at the point of injection can be considered a side effect. Normal immune reaction can also be considered a side effect.

It made more victims in 6 months than the virus had.
          So far the virus has caused about 3.8 million deaths (number most likely underestimated). There is in comparison an extremely small number of deaths that can be attributed to the vaccines. And this even though there are many more people who have received the vaccine than the number of people who have been infected by covid.

Personally, I am not trusting the authorities that seem to be pushing too hard the damn thing. At best, it is a corrupt operation to fill in big pharma bank accounts.
          Some pharma companies sell the vaccine at production cost. Buy from them then.

If you abstract away from the hype, the emotions and the fear and you stick to the facts. The vaccine ingredients are secret. The vaccine is experimental since the clinical studies are currently ongoing. So if there are side effects that start appearing in 2 years, no one can tell. For that, claiming that the vaccine is safe, this is a lie. No one knows.
          What about the side effects of a covid-19 infection? We now have evidence that it causes far more severe side-effects and far more frequently than any of the vaccines.

and finally, to me there is no point taking a risk with an experimental treatment for a virus that has a survival rate of 99.97%.
          I am not sure what you mean by the survival rate of the “virus”, but let's assume that you meant the infection. Let's play a small game. In the US, the virus has killed so far 614082 people (again, likely to be underestimated). The US have a population of 332828477 inhabitants. This means that the virus has already killed roughly 0.19% of the entire population, even though only a minor fraction of the population has been infected. The typical fatality rate is around 1%. So I would suggest that you do your own research and use a bit of common sense rather than repeating some idiotic number that you read who knows where.
          Last edited by Med_; 12 June 2021, 09:20 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

• Originally posted by sdack View Post
            I believe what he means is that these repetitive comparisons made in the countless arguments simply lack context and relations.

For instance, when somebody believes that in their age group the chance of death is 0.05% after 127,000 people have died, and they then read the vaccine caused 900 deaths, why do these people suddenly assume the chance of death from the vaccine in their age group was 100%? Would it not be far more reasonable to assume that when the death rate from COVID was 0.05% and that injecting a fraction of the virus, which is what a vaccination is, should therefore have a similar survival rate as compared to the virus?

We may not know the exact values of the vaccines' side effects. But just because I am 50 years old and there is no number telling me how the vaccine effects people of different age, should I assume vaccines would only kill people of exactly my age. It makes no sense.

People end up comparing apples with oranges, because they have no clear idea of what they are doing and what exactly each information means.
            Alright, but you have no idea what the long term effects are. It's not about "exact values", it's the fact that we literally don't have more than a year of followup on any recipient of these vaccines. The fact that people aren't dying en masse from the vaccine in the first handful of months is not an argument that it is safe, it is an argument that it is relatively safe in the first few months.

Yes, I am aware that for at-risk populations, the rate of serious complications and death is lower over the observed time vs. developing COVID; but that says nothing about the long term effect of spike protein proliferation, and it is a different tradeoff for young people (who we have even less observational data on).
            Last edited by microcode; 11 June 2021, 01:38 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by microcode View Post
              Alright, but you have no idea what the long term effects are.
              Actually, we do know the long term effects. The virus, when left unchecked will keep spreading and killing people, wave after wave and around the entire planet. It will further mutate as it already has and decimate the population until mankind itself and through its own mutation and evolution develops a natural resistance to it. This will happen on a time scale of hundred thousand of years and more. On the other hand is there vaccination, which has proven many times to not only fend off a virus but to eliminate it entirely, and over a course of as short as centuries and only decades.

Comment

• Originally posted by jacob View Post

This makes no sense. Vaccines are not "100% safe" but they are orders of magnitude safer than not getting vaccinated and risking getting COVID and/or transmitting it to someone else. Linus is expressing his opinion about what people should be doing, everyone does that all the time. He doesn't pretend to be giving medical advice. By the way the antivax crowd is not qualified to give medical advice either.
                Is that so... its been over a year, my lifestyle has changed minimally. *still* no covid... the probability of getting covid itself is quite low unless you do certain things. So...which do I do, continue to accept the slight risk of covid infectinon with the diminishing risk of severe issues due to improved understanding and treatment.

Or, do I take a half assed experimental vaccine that got shotgunned through testing? That does have issues that get glossed over in the exact opposite way that covid is over diagnosed (because profits).

Frankly I'm not afraid of getting covid... however I am concerned with the monetization of covid through vaccinations and the push to socialize the enforcement of this monetization. COVID has been a FUD campain through and through... and Linus should be ashamed of caving, and should basically F off about telling others how to live their lives.

Comment

• Originally posted by cb88 View Post
                  So...which do I do ...
                  I like watching videos and TV shows with people who thought they could not get it, who thought it was a harmless flu, and then got it. The looks of remorse and regret on their faces always makes me chuckle. I know, I am evil, and they only did not know any better, but still - it is priceless. Life's a bitch and then you die.

Comment

• Originally posted by lano1106
                    His coming out will certainly influence people to go for the vax.
                    I certainly hope so.

I disagree with most of what he said. No one can claim that those vaccines are safe. I have seen that it create 20x more side effects than the standard vaccine does. It made more victims in 6 months than the virus had.
                    Noone can claim that any medicine or any medical procedure is 100% safe. There is no such thing as 100% safety in life. Btw, do you know what happened to me after my first shot of Pfizer? My arm hurt the day after, that was it - I had zero adverse effects since then. Moderate symptoms like fever, joint pain and feeling like shit for a few days are not uncommon either and something that every vaccine can cause.

At best, it is a corrupt operation to fill in big pharma bank accounts.
                    Conspiracy theory. Stop consuming alt right media.

The vaccine ingredients are secret. The vaccine is experimental since the clinical studies are currently ongoing. So if there are side effects that start appearing in 2 years, no one can tell. For that, claiming that the vaccine is safe, this is a lie. No one knows.
                    The vaccine ingredients are publicly available by law. Noone can sell medicine without listing all the compounds. IIRC the Pfizer vaccine consists of liposomes (hollow spheres made out of a lipid bilayer, just like the membrane of a cell) which contain the RNA, some salt and sugar to make it isoosmotic and a few fatty acids to stabilize the suspension. Publicizing this is mandatory as it can help to avoid anaphylaxia in people with allergies.

Every batch of vaccine gets sampled and analyzed in the lab to make sure that the vaccine meets the specifications and that there weren't any mishaps. This is enforced through the respective regulatory bodies (FDA for the US or the EMA in the EU) and additionally the manufacturers analyze their vaccines several times during production as a QA measure.

The studies performed on the Corona vaccines used in the US and EU are exceptionally detailed, and were performed on way more people than is usual for vaccines or medicine. As with all medicines, documenting rare side effects is continued after the vaccine hits the market.

It is very, very, very unlikely for more side effects to be discovered years down the line. By that time, the RNA is long gone as enzymes in the cells, so calledribonucleases destroy it after a few days. Also, humans (or all living things for that matter) are subjected to foreign RNA (and DNA) all the time - it's called a viral infection. Following your argumentation, everyone should be afraid to become crippled just because they cought a cold a few years ago.

What makes RNA vaccines different is that your body doesn't produce virus particles in response, but only small fragments of their surface (which stops after the ribonucleases did their thing). This is enough to trigger the immune response and it's actually much less invasive than regular vaccines, which either use living virus particles to transfer the RNA/DNA into the cells or contain a high concentration of dead virus.

Again, noone claimed that the vaccines are 100% safe. What's sure however is, that there is much less risk from getting long term damage from the vaccine than from the actual sars-cov2 infection.

and finally, to me there is no point taking a risk with an experimental treatment for a virus that has a survival rate of 99.97%.
                    This number applies to 1st world countries only (+ when the pandemic started it was around 75%) and doesn't mean jack shit, when considering that 15% of covid cases, regardless of the severity, result in one or more of the following things after the infection: loss of taste + smell (takes months to heal, irreversible in many cases), lung damage w/ shortness of breath (months-permanent), chronic fatigue syndrom (months), kidney damage (irreversible), vasculitis (acute but may become chronic).

The most common argument that I have heard from pro-vax, it is that they are taking it to get back to a normal life. Vaccines are protecting against viruses. Not against lies, corruption and tyranny. The vaccine isn't the solution to a political problem...
                    I got myself vaccinated because I don't want to be responsible for ruining someone else's life (if I infected them and it causes persisting damage/death). Also, how do you think humans erradicated diseases like the pocks, measles and tetanus? This was only possible because a sufficient percentage of the population got vaccinated. Taking measures like wearing masks/covering the nose+mouth when a disease spreads via aerosols is common for over 100 years now. Look at this poster from 1920: https://www.nlm.nih.gov/exhibition/v...es/a030889.jpg

Comment

• This forum spam filter *sucks*.

Brazil is a bit different socially than the US... which was already much more distanced. Brazilians dont' have near the personal space issues that most Americans have.... this lends to people standing closer to you in lines, Brazilians also often stand in huge lines to pay bills, brazilians largely travel by bus also unlike the US were most travel is by private car... there are lots of things in Brazil that could contribute to increased spread that don't exist in other countries. Another Brazil specific issues is population density is basically equal across the country (aka very high due to the Brazilian style limitations on city expansion even in semi "rural" areas)...whereas many US states have very very low population density per sq mile. In many areas of the USA most people life on what would be a chacara , sitio or fazenda in Brazil as the norm with only about half the population living in mostly still less than Brazilian density cities.

Anyway quit telling other people what to do.... its unethical. Share your ideas but quit acting like your opinion is best and that others are less then you for having differing opinions.

Perhaps you should consider becoming more principled in your through processes so you can actually have discussion about topics rather than just yelling at people you disagree with.

Comment

Working...
                      X