Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Is Hiring More Linux Engineers For The Scheduler, Memory Management, Net I/O

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marco-GG View Post

Just like Intel I guess. I mean, they also have a Windows UI for their iGPUs that is not available on Linux.
    Yes, Intel too has seriously dropped the ball on this very important part of the graphics equation and I suspect once they get high performance video cards out the door complaints for control panels will increase to them. A person who drops a grand on a card is going to have that expectation. "Where is my control panel, this card was EXPENSIVE!"

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium

right... i really don't know what is the problem of creating a driver GUI...

in the past bridgman told us to create a driver gui before the driver has the hardware functionality is not worth doing it...

but today,,,, what kind of hardware functionality does the driver need to have to say the hardware side is finished so we can have a driver gui ?
      Well, they still don't support their hardware ray-tracing outside their proprietary driver 7 months after release, so I'd say that would be a start.

Comment

Can any of you guys who are talking about these GUI gpu configurators tell me what they are useful for? I remember these things when I was using Windows as a kid, but I've not used one since I was a tween so I don't remember why anyone would want to...

Comment

I love my 5900x + Radeon 6800 system. Excellent performance for a great price. I’m looking at a future AMD laptop to replicate the success, just waiting for something good with an RDNA2 GPU.

Originally posted by microcode
          Can any of you guys who are talking about these GUI gpu configurators tell me what they are useful for? I remember these things when I was using Windows as a kid, but I've not used one since I was a tween so I don't remember why anyone would want to...
          I have to agree. I never missed these useless GUIs when I left Windows. Most graphical settings will be changed per game from in-game menus.

Comment

There are already a couple of GUIs to control AMD cards, but after a while each of them encounters the hardware bugs present years after the cards have been released. And each of them, instead of fixing those bugs, finds their own hacky way of getting around it so it think bridgman statement still stands.
            @smitty3268 7 months? It took them 4 years to support a basic feature such as 0rpm mode and it still has bugs.
            @microcode Changing AA, Vsync, tesselation, power, clock, colour profiles, VSR... but there's a twist.
            You do it with one click instead of writing a config file.
            Off-topic: the talk "What UNIX cost us" by Benno Rice explains perfectly why you would want that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
              >India
              This will be fun to watch.
              I'm Indian you little shit. I can easily do this job and do it well.

Comment

Originally posted by fenixex View Post
                There are already a couple of GUIs to control AMD cards, but after a while each of them encounters the hardware bugs present years after the cards have been released. And each of them, instead of fixing those bugs, finds their own hacky way of getting around it so it think bridgman statement still stands.
                @smitty3268 7 months? It took them 4 years to support a basic feature such as 0rpm mode and it still has bugs.
                @microcode Changing AA, Vsync, tesselation, power, clock, colour profiles, VSR... but there's a twist.
                You do it with one click instead of writing a config file.
                Off-topic: the talk "What UNIX cost us" by Benno Rice explains perfectly why you would want that.
                True, zero RPM doesn't work properly, and neither does fan speed reporting.

Comment

Speaking of amd gpus and fans: anyone knows if amd is planning to implement a user-controlled fan speed table in their kernel driver? Using shell scripts for this doesn't look like a reliable solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                    right... i really don't know what is the problem of creating a driver GUI...
                    Yup... it's ridiculous that in 2021 I have to manually edit an Xorg configuration file to get basic functionality like freesync working.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
                      Yup... it's ridiculous that in 2021 I have to manually edit an Xorg configuration file to get basic functionality like freesync working.
                      And the list with special commands and workarounds I have to use to configure my Linux desktop is only growing. Why? It is 2021, people expect things optimally working out of the box. This is of course not only AMD's fault, but if they want Linux to be more successful on the desktop, they better do their part for ease of use.

Comment

Working...
                      X