Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Is Hiring More Linux Engineers For The Scheduler, Memory Management, Net I/O

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by microcode View Post

    I mean, AA is something that is almost entirely controlled by applications, ditto "tessellation" (do you know what that is), ditto vsync... Loading colour profiles is accomplished through standard interfaces these days, you don't need a per GPU panel to configure that... I kinda understand the interest in power caps and FV adjustment, but that's a much simpler problem than all this other stuff.
    1. Yes and some suck at it.
    2. ditto "tessellation"
    3. ditto vsync
    4. Who ever mentioned a "per GPU panel configurations". Weren't you asking about GUIs?
    My TV and my monitor both have predefined colour profiles. Why would I bother writing config files...

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by muncrief View Post
      Until AMD creates a GUI for Linux, we will always know they consider Linux users second or third class citizens.
      ?? Gui for HPC??

      Comment


      • #33
        While this is great news, I wonder what took them so long. They don't really strike me as a company that really plans ahead a lot. They seem to only know how to respond, but are rarely first at any game. I hope this will change, because I like AMD.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by ms178 View Post

          And the list with special commands and workarounds I have to use to configure my Linux desktop is only growing. Why? It is 2021, people expect things optimally working out of the box. This is of course not only AMD's fault, but if they want Linux to be more successful on the desktop, they better do their part for ease of use.
          That is what you want not what AMD wants. They couldn't give a damn about the Linux desktop just as they don't care about compute on Linux outside of the data canter.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
            I'm Indian. I can easily do this job and do it well.
            Nothing easy about this job though lol.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by fenixex View Post
              My TV and my monitor both have predefined colour profiles. Why would I bother writing config files...
              GNOME, for example, has a panel for this in Settings Manager. The interfaces are all standardized, and this is not really an AMD problem, or really a problem at all. I think there are standalone colord configurators as well (?). I am that guy who writes the config files by hand, but the GUI tools definitely exist for this, could you tell us all what's wrong with them?

              There's also driconf, which AFAIK can force some of the stuff you're talking about on a per-application or global basis.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post

                Why ? What problem do you have with the Indians? An engineer is good or bad regardless of nationality!

                However, I am happy for this choice and I wish the newcomers good work.
                It's simple. No one wants to live in India. Do you know why it's a stereotype in the US that doctors are Indian? Because they're desperate to leave their country by getting a PhD and migrating, if not for themselves, then for their families so they can send money back to them.
                The problem with these doctors is, they don't really care about being doctors, they're not passionate. They became doctors out of desperation.
                The same is true for Indian programmers, the majority of them are just desperate to get our of their country. They don't actually care about their profession. It's a sad reality, but it's demonstrably the truth.
                India is not a good country to outsource things to, no country is a good country for industry when nobody wants to live there. India is revenged by severe pollution, corruption and poverty, you're only going to find desperate people there.
                Of course that's not to say you can't find passionate people in India, it's just a far lower statistic. Remember corporations are machines, they don't care about individuals, they care about profit, end of.
                Last edited by Ironmask; 09 June 2021, 01:40 AM.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Ironmask View Post

                  It's simple. No one wants to live in India. Do you know why it's a stereotype in the US that doctors are Indian? Because they're desperate to leave their country by getting a PhD and migrating, if not for themselves, then for their families so they can send money back to them.
                  The problem with these doctors is, they don't really care about being doctors, they're not passionate. They became doctors out of desperation.
                  The same is true for Indian programmers, the majority of them are just desperate to get our of their country. They don't actually care about their profession. It's a sad reality, but it's demonstrably the truth.
                  India is not a good country to outsource things to, no country is a good country for industry when nobody wants to live there. India is revenged by severe pollution, corruption and poverty, you're only going to find desperate people there.
                  Of course that's not to say you can't find passionate people in India, it's just a far lower statistic. Remember corporations are machines, they don't care about individuals, they care about profit, end of.
                  Instead the British, Italians, Americans, Germans, etc. they are all great professionals who work with passion, do you really believe in it?
                  You are just being racist towards the citizens of one nation, which I inform you are not all the same, as they are not in any country.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post

                    Instead the British, Italians, Americans, Germans, etc. they are all great professionals who work with passion, do you really believe in it?
                    You are just being racist towards the citizens of one nation, which I inform you are not all the same, as they are not in any country.
                    "I think this country has a poor economy" RACIST "I think this country has some pollution concerns" RACIST

                    I advise you get off twitter and see a therapist.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      On the one hand we have the makers of X-Plane saying OpenGL is a dead end (which it is at this point), and concentrating on Vulkan/Metal going forward. On the other we have AMD hiring for OpenGL development in their drivers, to support OpenGL for current and legacy software that will likely never be updated for the new APIs. Both news blurbs in the same day.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X