Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Is Hiring More Linux Engineers For The Scheduler, Memory Management, Net I/O

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
    Until AMD creates a GUI for Linux, we will always know they consider Linux users second or third class citizens.

Of course Nvidia is much, much, worse overall because they are closed source, but we shouldn't give AMD a pass for refusing to provide a Linux GUI. Especially now that they're finally making money again. With much of that due to the myriads of Linux users like me who supported them throughout their dark decade.
    The fact that Linux has 2 mainstream widgeting applications (GTK/KDE) plus 2 compositing tools (X11/wayland) its not too surprising that a company isn't investing resources into this.

As long as they expose the data/tooling on a kernel/clib/command line level then anyone else is free to create a gui tool ontop of it, this appears to be the Linux way anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

The fact that Linux has 2 mainstream widgeting applications (GTK/KDE) plus 2 compositing tools (X11/wayland) its not too surprising that a company isn't investing resources into this.

As long as they expose the data/tooling on a kernel/clib/command line level then anyone else is free to create a gui tool ontop of it, this appears to be the Linux way anyways.
      Yeah, and this is also reason why they don't release OSS driver with ray tracing APIs. Linux users expect same level support as windows gets, how dare they, right? /s

I'll just buy nvidia, they care about me.

Comment

Originally posted by d3coder View Post

Yeah, and this is also reason why they don't release OSS driver with ray tracing APIs. Linux users expect same level support as windows gets, how dare they, right? /s

True, surly having the shitty driver now then to wait a bit until radv raytracing is done will surely be worth it for those 30 games to experience ray tracing at glorious 30fps. No thanks, I spend a whole year using Nvidia on the Linux desktop, I thought this shitty driver really was worth it, but its not.

Damn I love to update my damn kernel without having to worry if my driver will still work. Damn I love to life without those random crashes and support for more then 80s display server technology.

Comment

You sir apparantly are a master comedian, I can't stop the lulz, so damn rich & precious.

Send the nouveau devs my condolences, right on nvidia for flogging those filthy FOSS devs, that'll teach those filthy peasants from trying to challenge the almighty nvidia blob, eh comrades

Comment

Haha. I chuckled.

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
            for more then 80s display server technology.
            In all fairness, toilet paper technology predates the 80s. Presumably you still find that useful? Unless you have upgraded to the three seashells

Comment

It's pretty ridiculous what you say, you know? If you take a look at all the Linux forums, you realize for yourself that 70% of support requests are from Nvidia users, who after a trivial update find themselves with the system broken. No, it's not worth it for ray tracing.

Comment

You can blame Kernel devs for insisting that all drivers must sit inside of the kernel tree rather than providing a low level kernel API/ABI for graphics drivers. Until that happens you will always have this problem where AMD/NVidia are forced to adhere to Kernel release schedules whenever they add features like Ray Tracing.

Note that this is orthogonal to licensing, if there was a maintained graphics driver API/ABI then you can of course still implement the driver with GPL2 (or w/e license you want). There are already techniques such as symbol headers to control the granularity of what is covered by Linux's GPL and what isn't.

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

True, surly having the shitty driver now then to wait a bit until radv raytracing is done will surely be worth it for those 30 games to experience ray tracing at glorious 30fps. No thanks, I spend a whole year using Nvidia on the Linux desktop, I thought this shitty driver really was worth it, but its not.

Damn I love to update my damn kernel without having to worry if my driver will still work. Damn I love to life without those random crashes and support for more then 80s display server technology.
                I have been using Linux+NVidia for over 10 years now and the problems you describe are an extreme rarity (and its not like the OS drivers were any better if you used the newest kernel).

I mean yeah sometimes the internal kernel code changes which prevents the NVidia DLKM from compiling, but thats precisely the problem I was talking about earlier.
                Last edited by mdedetrich; 08 June 2021, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
                  Until AMD creates a GUI for Linux, we will always know they consider Linux users second or third class citizens.

Of course Nvidia is much, much, worse overall because they are closed source, but we shouldn't give AMD a pass for refusing to provide a Linux GUI. Especially now that they're finally making money again. With much of that due to the myriads of Linux users like me who supported them throughout their dark decade.
                  What do you want the GUI to do that you can't do with other tools? Even in Windows, I rarely find any practical use for the GUI, other than maybe overclocking, which isn't that complicated.

Also, Nvidia isn't worse for being closed source, they're worse because they don't cooperate with other open-source projects and all they seem to care about is workstation and server performance, while basically just making sure that the drivers work for games (but not work well).
                  EDIT:
                  Being closed source basically just keeps Nvidia's drivers bad, but it isn't why they're bad.
                  Last edited by schmidtbag; 08 June 2021, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fenixex View Post
                    @microcode Changing AA, Vsync, tesselation, power, clock, colour profiles, VSR... but there's a twist.
                    You do it with one click instead of writing a config file.
                    Off-topic: the talk "What UNIX cost us" by Benno Rice explains perfectly why you would want that.
                    I mean, AA is something that is almost entirely controlled by applications, ditto "tessellation" (do you know what that is), ditto vsync... Loading colour profiles is accomplished through standard interfaces these days, you don't need a per GPU panel to configure that... I kinda understand the interest in power caps and FV adjustment, but that's a much simpler problem than all this other stuff.

Comment

Austin and Bangalore. Two cities in hellishly hot places. Coincidence? :P

Comment

Working...
                      X