Fosshost Enters Into Long-Term Partnership With Freenode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"...Terms of the partnership were not disclosed..."

So, fosshost's good name and some staff resources were obtained for around a quarter million USD. It will be interesting to watch where this goes, but I admit I am reminded of the ancient Arab saying: "Beware of the camel's nose."

Comment

Originally posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
      The question also becomes if they will want to leave Fosshosts now..
      I expect most of those projects will take a wait and see approach, as finding a replacement (mostly free) hosting solution is going to be problematic. On the other hand, I am sure more than a few eyebrows are being raised in those project's leadership, and what fosshost does next will no doubt be doubly scrutinized.

Comment

Did fosshost need to sign contracts to obtain that amount of money or was it donated? There's a MASSIVE difference between those two.

On the FAQ Fosshost says it received a donation, but on the news article it says they are forming a partnership. These things are usually mutually exlcusive.

I'm glad to see that Fosshosts decided to reveal the amount right away even though they are a NGO they could try to hide it or reveal it at a later stage...

I'm curious to see how this plays out.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
          Did fosshost need to sign contracts to obtain that amount of money or was it donated? There's a MASSIVE difference between those two.

On the FAQ Fosshost says it received a donation, but on the news article it says they are forming a partnership. These things are usually mutually exlcusive.
          Well, not necessarily (they could occur in parallel), but the fact that the partnership and the Fosshost staff effort to support freenode happened at about the same time as a donation certainly makes it appear that Fosshost is engaged in a "work made for hire" arrangement. I am not familiar with UK law for non-profits, but in the US, that could easily result a review of the organizations non-profit status by the appropriate agencies.

I'm curious to see how this plays out.
          Aren't we all.

Comment

Working...
          X