Red Hat Is Hiring Even More Graphics Engineers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    linus basically said "use flatpaks". that's what redhat does. this video is recent repost of some very old btw. and if people do something which is clearly forbidden by standard, that's their bug(but sometimes you have incentive to workaround other people bugs)
    Not really. He quite clearly said that distributions (and some core libraries) suck for application writers because they don't provide a stable base.
    From Subsurface page:
    Linux makes it much harder to offer binaries given the vast number of distributions with different mechanisms for making packages available. The Subsurface developers are trying to make packages available for the most popular distributions (and in the most popular formats):
    By the way, Subsurface does not use or recommend flatpaks.

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    if you tried to show list of positions for developing linux graphics stack, i don't see it
    I just can't make sense of your reply.
    Luckily, Captain Obvious is here for you!
    There's absolutely no reason why a company whose main (only) business is the development of a cross platform application framework should hire people to work exclusively on one OS's graphics stack. That doesn't rule out that some of its developers could contribute to other projects, but it's definitely not their job.
    Their work sits on top of said graphics stack. In this context they're users not developers.

I was answering because someone was impling that while RH is "killing it" and hiring people, tQtC is missing in action, which is clearly not the case.
    Also tQtC is 40 times smaller than RH, and I'm not even considering IBM, so any comparison seems a little off

Captain Obvious

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
      I was only focusing on user friendliness, and I disagree that Red Hat really helps the Linux ecosystem in that specific aspect. Basically everything Red Hat comes up with feels less user friendly and harder to use (except, say, pulseaudio then pipewire).
      If it were not for other players and their pragmatism to rock the RH boat and have them remember what users actually want, Linux usage would fall down to (even more) negligible point percentages. If other players had RH financial means, I believe the ease of use would have improved tenfold.
      So which other players rectify what RedHat is doing? In terms of user friendliness, the fact that we don't have to recompile kernels any more, configure graphics (and other) drivers manually or have to mount pendrives manually any more has largely been implemented by RedHat developers. Maybe it's GNOME you dislike? If so, note that apart from KDE (which has a lower market share), the others like MATE, Cinnamon, XFCE etc are largely riding on GNOME's tail as they use GNOME-developed frameworks and tech. None of them has any significant user base compared to GNOME's anyway so I don't see them saving Linux from RedHat.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I disagree. It's similar to politics. There are only so many actual government service jobs and support roles. After that all a person can do is have opinions and debate. If the people in the government don't care to listen to the debates and opinions of the masses then things can change. In the political world that can be anything from being voted out to revolutions; in the Linux world we're talking about people switching desktops or moving distributions. In other words there are only so many people that can be paid to work on code for a living or have free time to volunteer. KDE Plasma, Call of Duty, iMessages...it's really all the same; open source or not is moot because it's all stuff people use, like, and have opinions on how it works and functions.

The fact is that that having an opinionated debate is taking the time and working towards doing something different so you shouldn't go around telling people about how their opinions don't matter. People passionate enough to take time with opinions and debate are prime sources for new ideas and advancement. Yeah, it does take that person or team to go "that's a great idea, let's make it a reality", but the idea wasn't necessarily theirs. The idea came from opinionated thought and debate from people who are passionate about what they do and use in their day to day lives. As a welder it's no different than me fabricating up a solution that someone describes to me. I didn't come up with the overall grand idea but I did come up with the nitty gritty details and implemented it.
        You are disagree, and yet the lack of action makes it all just useless mental masturbation.

I'm going to go back to funding open source projects which I want to help direct, and helping my company contribute to open source. The rest of you can keep having uninformed opinions that amount to nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

So I simply don't use Java or Python for my day to day work (and that is where RedHat's focus lay for middleware). I also don't use the Linux kernel. Red Hat's work with LLVM is very Linux centric and self serving so I suppose that doesn't apply either.

So really, I don't use any of Red Hat's code. They use a few bits of WebAssembly compiled via binaryen and bundle various bits of VNC code as part of their base install so it is very likely they use more of my code than I use of theirs (which is fairly typical for this kind of "services" company).

So I guess that means my opinions that Red Hat is not a great company is now full of worth?
          No it just means you are an uninformed person who's opinions carry absolutely no use at all. None.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
            I was only focusing on user friendliness, and I disagree that Red Hat really helps the Linux ecosystem in that specific aspect. Basically everything Red Hat comes up with feels less user friendly and harder to use (except, say, pulseaudio then pipewire).
            If it were not for other players and their pragmatism to rock the RH boat and have them remember what users actually want, Linux usage would fall down to (even more) negligible point percentages. If other players had RH financial means, I believe the ease of use would have improved tenfold.
            Name a few Red Hat inventions/applications that fall into this category, and most importantly... what are their alternatives?

Comment

Working...
            X