Red Hat Is Hiring Even More Graphics Engineers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drake23 View Post
    Using the great Gnome, how can I disable vsync in Gnome Shell? I've always wandered why Gnome is so stuttery in my PC, then I discovered disabling vsync in Cinnamon makes it super smooth. So how do I accomplish that in Gnome?
    i guess it's a cinnamon bug. i don't have stuttering in gnome and disabling vsync is not a proper solution. what distro/hardware/driver do you use?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      I am not a "birdie lover". The anti-birdie posts we remove (most of them from Volta)
      maybe you are volta hater then?

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
        Ohh yes please.
        lol, he said it's your job. nobody is going to do your job for you
        I am sure you understand there are many UNIX-like platforms around with very minimal interaction with Red Hat. And they will remain doing so long after Red Hat has been completely absorbed by IBM and replaced.
        i am sure you don't understand all those platforms will be dissolved long before redhat is replaced

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          kgonzales Most peoples' biggest dislike about Red Hat is a lot of their contributions are WYSIWYG and prominent (what you see is what you get). How they've basically spearheaded GNOME, GTK, systemd, AudioSystem, and more. The stuff they do is the front and center stuff we discuss daily; flashy desktops as well as commonly used terminal tools.

Personally, I like some of what they do and I dislike other areas. I've never been the biggest fan of GTK or GNOME since the Dawn of the Third Era. The GNOME Second Era is what converted me from Win2K ASE. I mention my personal opinion because GNOME is the most used (from funded) distribution default desktop. Red Hat basically gets a lot of flack because, well, you can't get any more front and center than the desktop environment. From there, well, what is more front and center aside from a user's shell of choice? That's right. systemd.

When they make two of the most prominent Linux features they're a prime target for criticism. Especially two things with as much debate and opinion like the Desktop Environment and Initialization Management System. That should be a given regardless of who they are, who owns them, etc.
          I completely understand having opinions are open source. You can even have debates about it. But unless you are contributing time and money to the projects in question, or working to do something different, your opinion just doesn't matter.

Comment

Ohh yes please. A revert really would be nice since Red Hat flared up on the desktop like a nasty rash. I remember many things working very similar since the Linux desktop has barely progressed in all these years.

Those people find it very easy to do so. I am sure you understand there are many UNIX-like platforms around with very minimal interaction with Red Hat. And they will remain doing so long after Red Hat has been completely absorbed by IBM and replaced.

You should perhaps consider taking Red Hat off that little pedestal you have placed it on. It looks silly.
            Stop using all Red Hat created source code in the projects you use today. Full stop. Until you do, your opinions on Red Hat are worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by dreich View Post
              Other open-source projects have been leeching on RH's work just fine. Too bad they're complete and utter failures when it comes to the desktop.
              Red Hat doesn't sell a consumer desktop. They do sell a workstation offering which is used by major studios, financial entities, and major engineering shops.

Besides, its your seemingly unqualified opinion that their desktop is a complete and utter failure. It's my opinion that your opinion is aa completely and utter failure.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                i.e. your previous comment claiming that toolkit enables de, wasn't posted by sane person. ok
                WTF are you even talking about? Nonsense, as usual with you.

Comment

Originally posted by kgonzales View Post

I completely understand having opinions are open source. You can even have debates about it. But unless you are contributing time and money to the projects in question, or working to do something different, your opinion just doesn't matter.
                  I disagree. It's similar to politics. There are only so many actual government service jobs and support roles. After that all a person can do is have opinions and debate. If the people in the government don't care to listen to the debates and opinions of the masses then things can change. In the political world that can be anything from being voted out to revolutions; in the Linux world we're talking about people switching desktops or moving distributions. In other words there are only so many people that can be paid to work on code for a living or have free time to volunteer. KDE Plasma, Call of Duty, iMessages...it's really all the same; open source or not is moot because it's all stuff people use, like, and have opinions on how it works and functions.

The fact is that that having an opinionated debate is taking the time and working towards doing something different so you shouldn't go around telling people about how their opinions don't matter. People passionate enough to take time with opinions and debate are prime sources for new ideas and advancement. Yeah, it does take that person or team to go "that's a great idea, let's make it a reality", but the idea wasn't necessarily theirs. The idea came from opinionated thought and debate from people who are passionate about what they do and use in their day to day lives. As a welder it's no different than me fabricating up a solution that someone describes to me. I didn't come up with the overall grand idea but I did come up with the nitty gritty details and implemented it.

Comment

Originally posted by kgonzales View Post

Stop using all Red Hat created source code in the projects you use today. Full stop. Until you do, your opinions on Red Hat are worthless.
                    So I simply don't use Java or Python for my day to day work (and that is where RedHat's focus lay for middleware). I also don't use the Linux kernel. Red Hat's work with LLVM is very Linux centric and self serving so I suppose that doesn't apply either.

So really, I don't use any of Red Hat's code. They use a few bits of WebAssembly compiled via binaryen and bundle various bits of VNC code as part of their base install so it is very likely they use more of my code than I use of theirs (which is fairly typical for this kind of "services" company).

So I guess that means my opinions that Red Hat is not a great company is now full of worth?
                    Last edited by kpedersen; 22 May 2021, 07:05 AM.

Comment

lol, he said it's your job. nobody is going to do your job for you
                      There are already enough Gnome 2 forks. I wouldn't want to fragment the already fragile FOSS desktop ecosystem any more. The revert just would have been great to just rid the community of the last few vocal Gnome 3 users.

i am sure you don't understand all those platforms will be dissolved long before redhat is replaced
                      I think they used to say that back when Microsoft brought Windows 95 out. They were dimwits then too.

Comment

Working...
                      X