Free Software Projects Defenestrate The Freenode IRC Network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mifritscher View Post

Link preview is a data privacy disaster. I really hate it if this enabled by default in the client. Worse, sometimes this is even generated by the server, which is a big no-no.
    Chat clients which load external images or generate client side link previews are much worse, they instantly reveal the IP of people receiving the message to the person who hosts the image or page. Server side preview or image mirroring *protects* against that.

Edit: The right way to do this of course is to generate the preview / upload the image on the side of the person sending the message, so I guess that's what you meant? Anyway, there are a number of platforms / clients which do the stupid thing (load external images by default), among them Mattermost.
    Last edited by zcansi; 23 May 2021, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

So to post something relevant an on topic: How come no one has posted about the Matrix elephant in the room? Their backwards pricing model. The lowest cost option shouldn't also be the lowest cost per user option...
      I don't know if Michael missed this, but Private Internet Access (PIA) is an official sponsor of Matrix and PIA's owner is taking over freenode. They are just trying to get some new users (free/paid/github-contributions etc). It's a conspiracy!

PS: Congrads on the Rocket League win!

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post

I don't know if Michael missed this, but Private Internet Access (PIA) is an official sponsor of Matrix and PIA's owner is taking over freenode. They are just trying to get some new users (free/paid/github-contributions etc). It's a conspiracy!

PS: Congrads on the Rocket League win!
        Some people really think that. OMG the simple text chat people want to be the advanced chat people. We better get the NSA on the line for this one.

Thanks.

Comment

700+ channels are taken over, because they have the word "libera" in their topic.

Comment

Originally posted by stefansaraev View Post
            https://twitter.com/fosdem/status/1397454352835653632

700+ channels are taken over, because they have the word "libera" in their topic.
            Can confirm. Major channels got hit. #ubuntu, #rhel, #gentoo, #weechat, #elixir-lang, some wikipedia/wikimedia ones. A TON of channels got hit. Channel owners had to practically beg for their own channels back. If people were on the fence before, freenode's new rogue staff made the decision for them.

Comment

I'm in disbelief, this is utterly infantile behavior. How are these decisions being made by a grown-ass man? Or, if he's this egotistical, how is he not in prison for doing what every other sociopath does and murdering/hurting someone? This is beyond understanding.

Comment

Working...
              X