No announcement yet.

Free Software Projects Defenestrate The Freenode IRC Network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRC isn't going anywhere for the people that care. At the peak of IRC in 2005, the fastest single threaded CPU was the 3.8Ghz Pentium 4. We did it when there was way more people on IRC clogging up the system back when it was expensive to setup an IRC server. One Epyc 7763 is 280 times fast as the fastest Pentium 4 and even if you could get 4 P4 Xeons per 1U rack back in 2005, all 42U would only have 168 CPUs of which IRC servers that could have 64 people chatting at once ran on a 386.

Processing power is cheap, if you care about IRC, it's not going away.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post

You're rather quick to dismiss my knowledge, ...
      Have fun with your Twitch chatbots.
      He's quick to dismiss because a project or service is not dead so long as people still use it. People still use IRC and will continue to do so even after this drama. The people that want to use IRC for quick community based tech support or just shooting the breeze will continue to do so. Everything else is irrelevant. This is like saying the Internet (and IRC) killed radio telegraphy. It didn't, and it won't. There aren't so many users as it had in its golden days, but the users it does have have a particular use for it they find other tools unsuited. Your tone is condescending and your contributions don't entitle you to an authority on usefulness of the subject to other people.

Comment

wonder if Fedora will continue to stay in Freenode an go elsewhere, as thats bout the only reason why i use IRC

Comment

Incase someone is wondering there has been another update on this:

It seems there was a misunderstanding between some of the admins, but they can likely work everything out and keep freenode going as usual.

Comment

Originally posted by Soul_keeper View Post
            Incase someone is wondering there has been another update on this:

It seems there was a misunderstanding between some of the admins, but they can likely work everything out and keep freenode going as usual.
            I don't know, when you've got people locking others out of the servers, and others bringing in lawyers to get it back I'd say things are a little bit beyond a simple misunderstanding.

Everything I've seen from Andrew Lee in public has seemed pretty non-controversial, so that just makes me think there must really be something going on behind the scenes that isn't being made public, and I have no idea what it is and why everyone is revolting over it.

Also, fun fact - Andrew Lee is apparently a crown prince of Korea. And he just found out a few years ago, after growing up in Indiana... Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by commodore256 View Post
              in 2005, the fastest single threaded CPU was the 3.8Ghz Pentium 4
              It was Athlon 64 FX-57 actually.

Comment

Meanwhile…
                ArchLinux https://matrix.to/#/#archlinux:archlinux.org
                GNOME https://matrix.to/#/#gnome:gnome.org

Don't move to IRC, take this change to move to an easier platform to collaborate. Where you can share code and pictures in an easy way, where you have a chatlog around for the time you're not online, where you have usable mobile clients.

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post
                  Meanwhile…
                  ArchLinux https://matrix.to/#/#archlinux:archlinux.org
                  GNOME https://matrix.to/#/#gnome:gnome.org

Don't move to IRC, take this change to move to an easier platform to collaborate. Where you can share code and pictures in an easy way, where you have a chatlog around for the time you're not online, where you have usable mobile clients.
                  I really don't know why many people who use IRC won't switch to matrix. It has a lot of clients and it can be used as a replacement of irc with a lot of considerable upgrades. I know many people like it by gatekeeping reasons but other than that seems the reasonable arguments are not a lot

Comment

Originally posted by ServerGarbage View Post

I really don't know why many people who use IRC won't switch to matrix.
                    I think a slight tell is here:

Matrix, the open protocol for secure decentralised communications

If you click "Try Now", it immediately takes you to a proprietary GUI client. That same page also tries to push you to some Element Matrix Services 30 day free trial.
                    It seems that Matrix just has its very initial mind sent in the wrong direction. I don't trust it will be alive for anywhere near the length of IRC.

Perhaps if it can get an official IRC gateway so it can work as an "evolution" to IRC rather than a replacement.

Comment

What about Mattermost? Me and a couple of friends are running our own server, just for us, to get rid of a dependency towards Slack, only out of fear of privacy infringements.

We compared Matrix and Mattermost, and they seem pretty similar. Does anybody else have more info/input on this?

Comment

Working...
                      X