Microsoft Bringing eBPF Support To Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
    Those numbers so the best case that 57% of Intel sales are Microsoft.
    Which would be huge

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
    The problem here that is not the true picture those numbers are after Subsidiaries as based of dividend payments and royalties back to the core company. Take a lot more digging and you can only do 3 URL at a time without having to get mod approval. To see the complete picture I would have to put at least 20 URL here.
    Then use more than one post or wait for mod approval. Citing sources is not spamming.

That said, I didn't do much research about that, so this is just my idea, but I'd say that if you take into account subsidiaries, Microsoft is even bigger, more profitable, and more valuable than Intel.

Also, you talk like Microsoft would be defenseless against Intel.
    I mean, come on...

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
      It is quite evident that when Microsoft does not want to release software for other platforms as well, it closes it and releases it as proprietary software. So comfortable! Mind you, Microsoft is a company and it is free to make its own choices, but as an open source Linux user, I don't thank Microsoft and I dare to say that what it takes is more than what it gives.
      it looks like you really wanted something partially opposite(fully opposite would be linux porting microsoft technology to linux)

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
        it looks like you really wanted something partially opposite(fully opposite would be linux porting microsoft technology to linux)
        Obviously my reference is to those applications, such as Office, which unfortunately in some cases, is not easily replaceable. Office is just an example ... I certainly wouldn't use it, but I know some people, who have several problems with open alternatives, especially with Microsoft formats.
        I apologize if I made mistakes, but I hope that at least you understand the concept, not only of native English speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post
          That said, I didn't do much research about that, so this is just my idea, but I'd say that if you take into account subsidiaries, Microsoft is even bigger, more profitable, and more valuable than Intel.
          You would think Microsoft would be more valuable than intel. Problem is Microsoft overseas subsidiaries lot of them are not mega profitable quite few turn out to be while elephant class. Reality is Intel and Microsoft are about the same level of profitable. Intel has been a lot better at trimming off the dead weight and a lot better at entity based tax avoidance. Intel is not just one layer of 100 percent owned subsidiaries. Intel 100 percent owned subsidiaries have their own 100 percent owned subsidiaries. Microsoft does not this big tree structure that their funds are spread out over.

Intel is a large forest of small trees that are all 100 percent healthy and Microsoft is a small forest of large trees with some quite sick result is both have the same amount of timber basically. The Intel one is a lot harder to calculate how much timber is in there of course.

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post
          Also, you talk like Microsoft would be defenseless against Intel.
          I mean, come on...
          Putting BPF into Windows kernel then you look at how much income Microsoft depends on on the Windows/NT kernel. If Microsoft gets a injunction block use until the court case is sorted out the damage is massive to Microsoft thinking waiting to the right time this could be like no new xbox sales or windows license sales until sorted out.

Generally Microsoft would not be defenceless against Intel. This is case that if Microsoft losses all their Windows sales and xbox sales they are not in a good location.

If this patent issue over kernel space BPF do turn up it will be in Microsoft best interest just to remove the feature due to the amount of damage a kernel level feature can cause. Yes this explains why kernel mode exfat driver by samsung was kept out of the Linux kernel main until patent issue could be correct resolved as well.

This patent stuff does not cut one way. Patent issues its generally your own actions that put you in a position of being defenceless.

As I said wait a year of 2 before investing development into the BPF feature to hopefully see if any action is going to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by phuclv View Post
            Your link says: "..........which enables you to access filesystems that aren’t natively supported by Windows"

Bringing it to WSL is a half measure. That and the link clearly shows a different workflow. I can't remember the last time I had to go into the command line to get a new NTFS volume recognized in windows. That whole "natively supported" thing, you know. It's usually just right click and...... actually, I don't think it was even that.

I plugged it in and it was there.

Therefore, I expect to plug in an EXT4 and "it's there".

Comment

Working...
            X