No announcement yet.

Microsoft Posts WSLg Preview - GUI App Support With Windows Subsystem For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know it's quality software when they make a screenshot of a PowerPoint slide in editing mode (see the red and blue underlines).

Comment

Cool, it's nice that you can now conceivably write workstation software and distribute it just for linux.

Comment

I find it interesting how much negative opinions there are about this.
        Linux has a desktop market share of what ... 2%?
        Now Microsoft is helping to bring access to Linux desktop apps to the other 90% of desktop users and make it even easier for people to use and develop Linux apps.
        If I wish to make a portable app, should I even bother with Windows port once my Linux code runs fine on Windows?
        Why focusing only on the negatives?

Comment

Originally posted by pkese View Post
          Is this the year of Linux on Desktop?
          The year of Linux on Windows maybe...

Comment

Mine is just indifference ... this shame doesn't even deserve to be mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
              Mine is just indifference ... this shame doesn't even deserve to be mentioned.
              So why do you bother to post about it, then? Just live and let die. Be cool.

Comment

Originally posted by dpeterc View Post

So why do you bother to post about it, then? Just live and let die. Be cool.
                ... so that my indifference is known. I don't expect you to think like me, but leave my freedom to express my indifference as well. Live in peace ...

Comment

Came to this thread to find idiots screeching "EMBRACE EXTEND EXTINGUISH!!11!!!1!", was not disappointed.

Anyways, this was an interesting surprise ngl (although yesterday the M1 iPad Pro was bigger surprise). Still don't like Windows, but I'm glad this is available now, it'll make a bunch of people's workflows easier and more convienent.

Comment

Now Microsoft is helping to bring access to Linux desktop apps to the other 90% of desktop users and make it even easier for people to use and develop Linux apps.
                    If I wish to make a portable app, should I even bother with Windows port once my Linux code runs fine on Windows?
                    this is solely about getting people off linux and onto windows for development. like i commented earlier, if microsoft truly loved linux like they claim, they would be contributing to wine and opening up direct x instead of doing this nonsense where they get linux gui programs running on windows via direct x without even opening up their api or even adopting an open api like opengl / vulkan to do so that is already cross platform. make windows and linux software easily cross platform with one another. rather than just solely focusing on getting linux software running on windows while neglecting the other side of the road.

its a two way street and what microsoft has been doing is focusing only on the one side that leads to them. they're not treating linux as an equal. microsoft wants linux development on windows. microsoft wants everyone on windows for their platform of choice. i learned this first hand over on level1techs forums where they have been highlighting how windows is far better to develop for linux than linux now thanks to wsl. there's no point on using linux as a development platform as you get the massive windows eco system of native software plus you can now use your linux apps on windows.
                    Last edited by fafreeman; 21 April 2021, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Perhaps you are forgetting some of the apps that stated on Linux and then ported to windows the Linux people were crowded out and the apps were ether killed or made to suck rhinos after that.

Comment

Working...
                      X