No announcement yet.

Microsoft Posts WSLg Preview - GUI App Support With Windows Subsystem For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Posts WSLg Preview - GUI App Support With Windows Subsystem For Linux

Phoronix: Microsoft Posts WSLg Preview - GUI App Support With Windows Subsystem For Linux

After announcing last year that they would be supporting GUI applications with Windows Subsystem for Linux, today Microsoft published their "WSLg" preview for this feature to run Linux GUI applications atop Windows 10...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Embrace... done (WSL)

Extend... this. preview but done soon

Extinguish... coming soon D: (Windows is now able to run Linux and Windows apps at the same time, ha take that Linux)

The things that keeps me away from Windows are its telemetry, slowness and poor filesystem performance...
    Last edited by tildearrow; 21 April 2021, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Embrace... done (WSL)

Extend... this. preview but done soon

Extinguish... coming soon D: (Windows is now able to run Linux and Windows apps at the same time, ha take that Linux)

The things that keeps me away from Windows are its telemetry, slowness and poor filesystem performance...
      They are trying to stop developer exodus.

Their intentions with anything they do aren't good for anybody but Microsoft.

Microsoft only cares about Microsoft, only loves Microsoft.

The Extinguish phase will happen if the Linux ecosystem begins to treat the WSL as if it is part of the family and facilitate its extension in a single direction (Microsoft's)

I hope clear older minds will prevail.

Comment

Why pulseaudio instead of pipewire? It's born old
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Because Pipewire is not production ready or battle tested in production environments for the appropriate amount of time. Same thing with why X Server fires up for a GUI app and not Wayland. This will come with time but not for probably another couple of years on WSL anyway.

Comment

What surprises me is that the day after WSL came out did Microsoft not just "borrow" a win32 Xserver like VcXsrv and claim GUI support from almost day 1. In all of their Microsoft glory.

Why wait to do things (semi) properly and in tune with current Linux practice? With Microsoft, the marketing (and restricting their users) always takes priority over engineering.

I get the feeling that they want to dig deep into Wayland and be a bunch of annoying twits.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
              Because Pipewire is not production ready or battle tested in production environments for the appropriate amount of time. Same thing with why X Server fires up for a GUI app and not Wayland. This will come with time but not for probably another couple of years on WSL anyway.
              It runs a modified Weston with the RDP backend for GUI apps. it starts the XWayland server for apps that don't support Wayland.

Comment

Is this the year of Linux on Desktop?

Comment

if microsoft loves linux as much as they say, they would be opening up direct X api as open source and contribute to wine. make it a two way street microsoft. not a one way.

Comment

From this day forward, 99% of the people in the world will say, "I've heard of GNU/Linux - it's that goofy little program on Windows 10 that nerds use to make their minecraft mods."

Comment

Working...
                    X