Overclocking old Phenom II CPU and Bonaire GPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclocking old Phenom II CPU and Bonaire GPU

Hello. I am newbie in Linux, trying to gradually transition from windows 7. I have an old computer with Phenom II CPU and R7 260X video card. In Windows I used AMD Overdrive to overclock the processor. I did not use the BIOS, because Overdrive allows me to select a multiplier for each core separately, and so I can get slightly better performance and stability - one of the cores works at 4GHz +, and other at lower frequencies. Does Linux have a program with similar functionality? And also I'm looking for a program to overclock a video card. Tried Corectrl but there are no overclocking options for my PC.

For the GPU try radeon-profile. It's what I use now and I remember it worked well with my old Pitcairn card. For the CPU don't know, since I always used the BIOS for it. Don't think there is an actual Overdrive like utility.
    Application to read current clocks of ATi Radeon cards (xf86-video-ati, xf86-video-amdgpu) - marazmista/radeon-profile

Comment

What board are you using?

Also, while my overclocking experience in Linux is far more limited than my Windows experience, on every box I've had, Linux is a lot more sensitive to an unstable overclock than Windows is. As in, kernel panic on boot unstable, while at exactly the same clocks Windows would boot and be stable enough for 32M SuperPi (XSmod). You might find your Windows settings are not stable in Linux.

Comment

What are your goals for overclocking, is this strictly aimed at getting the most possible frames for games?

I think that in most instances Linux is faster than Windows on average. This can be especially true if you attempt to go a lighter-weight route of desktop environments such as LXDE or XFCE.

Depending on your goals, if you can't reach them one way then reach them another.

Comment

Working...
        X