Google Provides Funding For Linux Kernel Developers To Focus On Security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
    I dunno, maybe buying a GPU that has better drivers on both Windows and Linux is a great idea.
    It's only due to the lack of competitors that NVIDIA is the only other choice. I personally would rather use AMD than NVIDIA because I need open source drivers. But now that Intel Xe dGPU is on the horizon, I'd definitely switch away from AMD in a heartbeat.
    I don't want to spend the rest of my life fixing problems for free, after paying hundreds of dollars of a hardware.
    in this point: "It's only due to the lack of competitors" you are totally right.

but i am sure intel will not fix this. and it is simpel why: intel is a failure in building hardware (and their software is always anti-competitors walled garden vendor lock in... ) another point is this: ALL GPU intel hardware is already a failure...
    and this: is is much more easy for AMD to just hire developers to fix the opensource driver than to Intel build good hardware AND fix their drivers...

to the possibility that AMD by hire more developers does it right is much higher than the Xe dGPU route...

I bought a radeon HD3850 in 2007 for opensource drivers but the FOSS drivers did not exist and i ended up to use closed source drivers for years... and it was really "shit" 2-3 years later the FOSS driver exist but all you could do is use for browse the web on the desktop... 5-6 years later from 2007 you could use some games but nothing modern...

but i can say... 2018-2021 is becomes really good. and right now i have vega64 and it really runs well.

so time really is in favor of open source drivers.
    Last edited by tildearrow; 25 February 2021, 06:48 AM. Reason: and by the way off-topic
    Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
      I've stumbled in similar situations by over-relying on argument type-deduction with C++ templates. Usually you can work around it, with more judicious usage. But you can also get into trouble with automatically-generated C code and simply turning up the compiler optimization level. I've had to dial back the optimization level, in some cases like these.
      Indeed. But this goes back to them making it intentionally difficult to compile. My own C++ projects never require this much RAM to compile because I don't make extensive use of whatever C++ features they're using that blow up memory use to this extent during compilation. Nobody else's C++ projects do it to the extent that Chromium does either. Qt is all C++ and it's completely benign in comparison. Well, up until you reach the QtWebEngine component of it, which blows up memory like mad because it's really just a copy of the Chromium source once again.

It was probably swapping like hell. If you ever have to do it again, or build other big software packages, I'd suggest:
      • Upgrade to a 8 GB model, if possible
      • Configure swap on a USB3-connected SATA SSD
      • Reduce the number of concurrent jobs (usually via the -j# parameter, in tool like GNU Make and Ninja -- not sure what Chromium uses)
      Nice list, but actually, I've got another trick: check out this Draining The Swamp tool. I run my Chromium compiles with -j4 -l4 and don't worry about swap thrash, as that tool dynamically throttles back the number of concurrent processes when memory pressures get high. And if I need to use my computer during that 5 day Chromium build marathon, I can easily put the build into temporary suspension and resume whenever I'm done.

Originally posted by sandy8925
      They probably just chucked it in a corner, and forgot about it. Not sure how much the power consumption is, but it's probably pretty low.
      Actually, this is my main computer, so no corner. But yes, the power consumption is very low. Not that it matters during the winter anyway -- I'm either heating my room with my compiler, or I'm heating my room with my space heater -- it's the same cost in electricity either way.

I believe they have a lot of third party libraries that they just include in the Chromium repo.
      This is true. And it goes back to making Chromium intentionally a monster to compile. If Google would simply upstream whatever customizations they needed in these third party libraries, they could use the system-wide copies instead of forcing everyone into compiling redundant code. It would save developers so much time and it would save run-time memory for end users too.
      Last edited by ed31337; 25 February 2021, 04:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post

in this point: "It's only due to the lack of competitors" you are totally right.

but i am sure intel will not fix this. and it is simpel why: intel is a failure in building hardware (and their software is always anti-competitors walled garden vendor lock in... ) another point is this: ALL GPU intel hardware is already a failure...
        and this: is is much more easy for AMD to just hire developers to fix the opensource driver than to Intel build good hardware AND fix their drivers...

to the possibility that AMD by hire more developers does it right is much higher than the Xe dGPU route...

I bought a radeon HD3850 in 2007 for opensource drivers but the FOSS drivers did not exist and i ended up to use closed source drivers for years... and it was really "shit" 2-3 years later the FOSS driver exist but all you could do is use for browse the web on the desktop... 5-6 years later from 2007 you could use some games but nothing modern...

but i can say... 2018-2021 is becomes really good. and right now i have vega64 and it really runs well.

so time really is in favor of open source drivers.

and by the way sandy8925 you are anti-white thoughts you have to admit that 80% of all the FLOSS code is writen by Whit males.

and you have to admit that all the companies like google and microsoft their closed source software has the lowest rate of white males... google/microsoft have 40-50% non-whites and also women in FLOSS is 1% and in google microsoft women is ~15%

so you talk about evil closed source from evil white males hurt your freedom... you have to admit that it is the white males who protect your freedom. and thats a fact.
        Hahahah, fuck off you deluded white supremacist.

Comment

I don't think anyone in their right mind should accept money or code from the big spy companies, the least the linux guys. It definitely will backfire someday

Comment

kvuj

Fuchsia is so awesome it's useless for most people.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Do not use Google software, services or products. Also buy a tinfoil hat.

Isn't it crazy? Google invests millions of US dollars into your favourite OS and you're so "thankful".
              If something is crazy it's you. Spy agencies invest even more, so you should be "thankful". F*cking peasant.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Do not use Google software, services or products. Also buy a tinfoil hat.

Isn't it crazy? Google invests millions of US dollars into your favourite OS and you're so "thankful".
                If you have so much trust in Google corporation, could you explain the motives behind its moves? Why only 2 developers, and not 10? Why Google develops Fuchsia OS and not spending those resources on Linux? Why Google restricted Chromium on Linux recently?

I think that the main purpose of corporations is to get bigger no matter what. It's not even about Google's dirty business practices anymore. Google is just too big and has too much influence.
                Last edited by FellowPenguin; 25 February 2021, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Siuoq View Post
                  I don't think anyone in their right mind should accept money or code from the big spy companies, the least the linux guys. It definitely will backfire someday
                  Clearly, a lot of people disagree with you. Which Big Tech companies don't do it? Maybe Apple (whom I reject for other reasons)? It's really getting to be the exception rather than the rule. Even Samsung got busted for their smart TVs spying on people watching them, like 5 years ago.

Now, I don't work for any of these employers, so I'm no speaking in my own defense. But I can sympathize that a lot of tech companies don't have spying as their mission. It's come to be seen as a necessary evil to help pay the bills, in order to deliver some other good or service. Any who don't join in, risk getting undercut by their competition. So, the solution is that we really need better regulation. Otherwise, it's just a race to the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
                    We need a kernel patch that would close all of Google's spyware loopholes. No computer is "secure" with Google installed.
                    Can't even tell the difference between userland and kernelland.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                      Clearly, a lot of people disagree with you. Which Big Tech companies don't do it? Maybe Apple (whom I reject for other reasons)? It's really getting to be the exception rather than the rule. Even Samsung got busted for their smart TVs spying on people watching them, like 5 years ago.

Now, I don't work for any of these employers, so I'm no speaking in my own defense. But I can sympathize that a lot of tech companies don't have spying as their mission. It's come to be seen as a necessary evil to help pay the bills, in order to deliver some other good or service. Any who don't join in, risk getting undercut by their competition. So, the solution is that we really need better regulation. Otherwise, it's just a race to the bottom.
                      You're trying to defend corporations who collect your data to train their AI which can influence your behavior. Big data is the new oil.

P.S. Check out the links below if you don't understand what I'm talking about:
                      1. How smart the Microsoft GPT-3 is?:
                      2. Interview with a data scientist who worked for Cambridge Analytica
                      3. Google’s new trillion-parameter AI language model
                      Last edited by FellowPenguin; 26 February 2021, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X