Google Provides Funding For Linux Kernel Developers To Focus On Security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ehansin View Post

Thanks for the link, I didn't finish it all yet, but so far a good read. Also, someone gave an interesting and (I'd say) informative comment on the Windows NT kernel, in fact speaking highly of it. Anyway, learned a bit here, good stuff.
    Microsoft has hired and continues to hire some of the best kernel / software engineers in the world. Their compiler also has cool features (like Hardware-enforced Stack Protection), but I still very much dislike some of Windows' design choices.

I guess my problems come from its privacy fiasco (yes I know it's not related to security) and them having realized that Azure makes a lot more money than maintaining an OS. This is my guess as to why W10 barely gets any substantial updates.

Oh and NTFS can rot in hell.

Also please unify the UI for god's sake.

Finally, installing a weird audio program with garbage "fake studio effects" when I plug in my speakers is a huge nono.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post

what do you expect from a person who is Nvidia hardware user? birdie dropped his RX5700 and bought an Nvidia GPU instead.

he is FLOSS supporter like a murderer who use knifes is supporter of the kitchen tool store...

the truth is: he hates FLOSS:
      I dunno, maybe buying a GPU that has better drivers on both Windows and Linux is a great idea.

It's only due to the lack of competitors that NVIDIA is the only other choice. I personally would rather use AMD than NVIDIA because I need open source drivers. But now that Intel Xe dGPU is on the horizon, I'd definitely switch away from AMD in a heartbeat.

I don't want to spend the rest of my life fixing problems for free, after paying hundreds of dollars of a hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
        [*]PRISM. You forgot to mention that Google put the PRISM backdoor into your online services so spies from the allied 5-eyes countries had direct access to all your data. That's a pretty awesome security accomplishment.
        True, but they were forced to do it by government, and intelligence agency overlords. Those are the people who you need to stick it to.

Of course, Google themselves collect a lot of data on people anyway, they're definitely spyware.

Comment

Originally posted by ed31337 View Post
          Sometimes I think maybe Google purposely made Chromium difficult to compile. Certain source files in Chromium take upwards of 4GB of RAM to compile. How is that even possible? I compile the Linux kernel sources, and nothing takes more than maybe 200MB or 300MB of RAM to compile. The last time I compiled Chromium 90 on my Raspberry Pi 4, it took 4 or 5 days to complete.

There are literally tens of thousands of source files in Chromium. There is no way any one person could possibly audit this code base in their lifetime. Google could slip any number of backdoors and malware in an obfuscated way into the code, and nobody would be the wiser...

When Google talks about improving Linux security, I get the feeling they're most interested in making their Android devices locked down so hard that they can eventually make Google Play a walled garden just like Apple does on iOS. Where nobody gets to run unless Google (not the end user who supposedly owns the device) allows them in.
          Yeah, Chromium and Firefox codebases are ridiculously large, and take a long time to compile. Beaten only by AOSP.

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post
            Ah no, you will find being opposed to Google is widespread, especially outside the USA.
            Sure, but crazy paranoid conspiracies about the kernel being Google malware?

Comment

Sometimes I think maybe Google purposely made Chromium difficult to compile. Certain source files in Chromium take upwards of 4GB of RAM to compile. How is that even possible? I compile the Linux kernel sources, and nothing takes more than maybe 200MB or 300MB of RAM to compile. The last time I compiled Chromium 90 on my Raspberry Pi 4, it took 4 or 5 days to complete.
              .......you shouldn't be trying to compile Chromium on a Raspberry Pi.....

There are literally tens of thousands of source files in Chromium. There is no way any one person could possibly audit this code base in their lifetime. Google could slip any number of backdoors and malware in an obfuscated way into the code, and nobody would be the wiser...
              I believe they have a lot of third party libraries that they just include in the Chromium repo.

When Google talks about improving Linux security, I get the feeling they're most interested in making their Android devices locked down so hard that they can eventually make Google Play a walled garden just like Apple does on iOS. Where nobody gets to run unless Google (not the end user who supposedly owns the device) allows them in.
              Yeah, I get the feeling they're moving closer and closer to walled garden status. I'd like a nice FOSS replacement too, it's just stuff like push notifications, payments etc. that's a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverFox

hats off for letting it finish!
                They probably just chucked it in a corner, and forgot about it. Not sure how much the power consumption is, but it's probably pretty low.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                  Awesome /s Because I totally trust Google /s of all people /s to help with Security /s

Bro I don't think my Google Smart Shower TM needs a webcam on it and I'm not sure how to feel about my Google Sleep Cam TM.
                  But.......it can use machine learning to identify if you're scrubbing your body properly! And er...... identify skin conditions and diseases!

"You're looking pale, get out of the damn basement and go spend some time in the sun, you weeb."

"You've put on a good amount of weight - here are some tips to cut out that flab"

"You spent too much time in the sun, and now you're skin is all shriveled and burnt up. Get inside that coffin and hibernate like a vampire. And put on some damn suntan, before the UV rays aggravate the skin cancer. Oh BTW, you have skin cancer, go see a doctor."

"Look, your body has shriveled into a thin husk. Go eat some food, you won't get overweight, and forget about that size zero bullshit."

"Hm, here are some ads for stuff that can enlarge certain body parts. I promise won't tell anyone."

Sleep cam:

"Sigh......look, touching yourself every night is just sad and pathetic. Here, I'll automatically download some dating apps, and sign you up. "

Comment

Originally posted by dreamer_ View Post
                    Google hates GPL-based software and wants to replace it with something that can be locked up. Who could've guessed?
                    That's true for all commercial companies. Why do you think PlayStation uses FreeBSD? It sure wasn't because they thought it was superior.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

Those fears of exploitation didn't stop them from backdooring their own servers with PRISM and their own cloudy products with MUSCULAR for the NSA. How is it that they've suddenly grown this great concern about closing all possible exploits? Just as likely that they've continued the game and gotten a lot more crafty about using it for their own profit.
                      Security != Privacy.

The privacy invading stuff is in userspace. The security stuff is about making sure the data is only accessed by authorised software/personnel. Now, see they consider themselves and the NSA to be authorise personnel. So them being able to access it is not a security breach, because that's the intention.

Is it clear now?

Comment

Working...
                      X