Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Data Suggests CoC + Outreachy Hasn't Helped Increase Female Participation In Debian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by moilami View Post

Finally someone got a clue on that certain actions cause more harm than good.
    A raging clue at that.

Comment

• While data can be fairly described as preliminary it does IMHO speak to what I've been saying for a long time; While obviously well meaning, a lot of these diversity programs may in fact be entirely counter-productive and instead of projecting the intended message of "women and minorities welcome" into the minds of the intended groups, project the idea that they're so inferior to the usual groups that they need to be sheltered and given a boost. Combine that with an impostor complex, something you hear a lot of women and minorities in the field talk about experiencing, and the effect may in fact be the exact opposite of the intended one.

These figures definitely warrant further study, but I am somewhat worried that instead of an honest analysis of the effect of diversity efforts, they're going to be used as proof of inherent racism and sexism, hence necessitating even greater efforts of the same seemingly ineffective or even counter-productive kind. After what happened to Damore, who tried to provide constructive feedback to similar programs at Google yielding disappointing results, I'm unfortunately going to remain pessimistic. The people who push for these things the hardest tend to be wholly against any criticism of these programs and the idea that these may not be the best approach. For there to be something wrong or need to re-think these programs will simply not be in their vocabulary and instead their failure will be seen as proof of their necessity.

Comment

• Originally posted by cynical
        It was much better when women weren’t in the work environment. It meant fewer emotions and infighting, more professionalism in the workplace, no issues around sex or “harassment”. When I run my own business, I will try to keep it small to avoid any federal mandates about hiring women or “minorities”. I prefer a peaceful work environment, tyvm.
        haha LOL you shot the moon down... i think exactly the same.
        Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

• Referring to some of the later posts and if this thread is anything to go by, it reveals that we still have a long way to go. Enough posters seem to be rather insecure man that are scared. A lot of the sentiment looks a lot like fear from a real competition and from falling short. Hence, the preferred action is to marginalize and create an unwelcoming environment for groups of people; or at least to not be accommodating.
          Luckily, every institution and relevant company is pledging to equal opportunity. Many things stated here could not be repeated in your work environment. I also suspect that many would not repeat their statements if you had to post your real name.
          Anonymity is good for some things. However, it this case surely looks like a bunch of cowards in need for a safe space to vent.
          Last edited by mppix; 14 February 2021, 05:12 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mppix View Post
            Referring to some of the later posts and if this thread is anything to go by, it reveals that we still have a long way to go. Enough posters seem to be rather insecure man that are scared. A lot of the sentiment looks a lot like fear from a real competition and from falling short. Hence, the preferred action is to marginalize and create an unwelcoming environment for groups of people; or at least to not be accommodating.
            Luckily, every institution and relevant company is pledging to equal opportunity. Many things stated here could not be repeated in your work environment. I also suspect that many would not repeat their statements if you had to post your real name.
            Anonymity is good for some things. However, it this case surely looks like a bunch of cowards in need for a safe space to vent.
            not everyone is a coward like you are. i say this in public and with real name.

and if someone starts to become violent against me i just call him unzivilied because freedom of spreech is holy and violence is a crime.

and by the way the people who become violent like AntiFA and radical left already have my privat adress and real name. and for sure tried to kill me multible times with poison and microwave weapons. and believe it or not but they have the name and adress from me.

so you see you are a coward and i am not.
            Last edited by qarium; 14 February 2021, 05:42 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mppix View Post
              Referring to some of the later posts and if this thread is anything to go by, it reveals that we still have a long way to go. Enough posters seem to be rather insecure man that are scared. A lot of the sentiment looks a lot like fear from a real competition and from falling short. Hence, the preferred action is to marginalize and create an unwelcoming environment for groups of people; or at least to not be accommodating.
              Oh, Mr. Self-Righteous comes back over here to lecture us with his infinite wisdom. How nice of you, that's exactly how you relate to people. What happened to your plans to leave this place because most people don't share your flawed agenda?

Comment

• For anyone that works in software, it should be pretty obvious that when you remove one bottleneck (memory access time), it will only make other bottlenecks more apparent.

If one bottleneck preventing women from being more involved in tech has been removed or reduced, then others will be more pronounced, such women's choice.

This has already been known since at least 2015: https://www.thejournal.ie/gender-equ...48156-Feb2018/

Comment

• Originally posted by lyamc View Post
                  For anyone that works in software, it should be pretty obvious that when you remove one bottleneck (memory access time), it will only make other bottlenecks more apparent.
                  If one bottleneck preventing women from being more involved in tech has been removed or reduced, then others will be more pronounced, such women's choice.
                  This has already been known since at least 2015: https://www.thejournal.ie/gender-equ...48156-Feb2018/
                  right. and the joke in our society this is only about "Rich Bitches" because i know many women interested in tech on wellfare
                  and this women on wellfare(hartz4 in germany) they are not even able to buy standard equipment like notebook or PC because the money problem is so big they can only buy 100€ smartphone and have no money left for PC and Notebook.
                  right now only "Rich Bitches" are supported to do computer science in university and in big companies
                  no one even cares about all the poor women who are in fact interested in tech but don't get any support.
                  i know women interested in Tech they do not have even the most basic school degree
                  but who fucking cares they are interested in TECH ... but the system don't give them any chance to ever land in TECH.
                  and believe it or not i do not only know 1 poor women i know many many poor women interested in TECH...

problem is really: ONLY Rich Bitches get support and they have all the money already and they will have super rich daddy / sugar daddy or rich husband anyway because the rich mostly marry rich. the poor bitches dont get any chance to go into these circles.

and this is the joke about: "'A gender equality paradox': Countries with more gender equality have fewer female STEM grads"

Rich Countries have Gender Equality..... and Rich Bitches from Rich Country Choose to not go into STEM BECAUSE THEY ARE ALREADY RICH!!!!!

and the poor women (without school degree or only basic school degree but no high leven school degree) who also want to become rich by going into TECH they don't get any chance to do so.

so this is all Rich Bitches are in war against STEM and TECH and poor women don't get any support to go into TECH.

Comment

• uh, what are you ranting about?

Comment

• Originally posted by crystall View Post
                      It's funny, here is a thread full of men telling what women are interested in. Don't you see the irony in this? Nope, you clearly don't.
                      Do you know why this thread is full of men, instead of being the daversity paradise (or hell, really...) that you would like it to be?

Well, it's because WOMYN DON'T CARE ABOUT ENGINEERDING!

They don't sperg over linux kernel updates. They don't enjoy loosing their sleep to hack and learn computy stuffs. They find the whole thing boring, as much as I find Fashion boring and stupid.

This will never change. And remember:
                      "You will never be a woman."
                      -- CEO of Restroom

Comment

Working...
                      X