Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FOSDEM Online 2021 Is Happening This Weekend

Phoronix: FOSDEM Online 2021 Is Happening This Weekend

FOSDEM, the Free Open-Source Developer Europeans' Meeting, remains one of the top open-source/Linux events in my book. Each February for this long tenured event thousands of open-source/Linux enthusiasts would gather in Brussels, Belgium for many technical and interesting talks on a wide range of subjects. Unfortunately due to the COVID-19 pandemic, FOSDEM can only take place virtually this year but that does allow for broader participation and you can enjoy all of the content online this weekend...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Pure luck last year it was held just before the outbreak. Hope to be on location in 2022.

Comment

I didn't know it was held right here.

Comment

The one thing I did not miss today was my yearly headache, but i cannot wait for this madness to be over so that we can all enjoy the good madness that is FOSDEM live again.

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
          Pure luck last year it was held just before the outbreak. Hope to be on location in 2022.
          I was there and I do remember being a bit nervous about it at the time. It was fun, as always, but with hindsight, I'd never have gone. The bus from the centre is always so packed that you're literally in each others' faces.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post

I was there and I do remember being a bit nervous about it at the time. It was fun, as always, but with hindsight, I'd never have gone. The bus from the centre is always so packed that you're literally in each others' faces.
            From my memory, at that point it was still mostly a China problem so I did not pay much attention to it. There were some indications things might go bad tho. 3 weeks later is when North Italy locked down and it went downhill from there.

Anyway, let's hope for a Phoronix readers meetup at Delirium next year.
            Last edited by cen1; 06 February 2021, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post

From my memory, at that point it was still mostly a China problem so I did not pay much attention to it. There were some indications things might go bad tho. 3 weeks later is when North Italy locked down and it went downhill from there.

Anyway, let's hope for a Phoronix readers meetup at Delirium next year.
              If it was held in February, indeed.
              Nobody cared much about the coronavirus here before March, and that statement includes the first SARS-CoV (or MERS), (10-)15-20 years before SARS-CoV-2/Covid-19. Even when the situation became dramatic in Italy, we still saw it as a distant thing.
              We truly realized the extent of the matter when the government locked us into confinement mode (it was announced on March 13th, with an enforcement date on the 16th).

Would definitely come for a beer with Phoronix members when the context is back to normal.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
                If it was held in February, indeed.
                Nobody cared much about the coronavirus here before March, and that statement includes the first SARS-CoV (or MERS), (10-)15-20 years before SARS-CoV-2/Covid-19. Even when the situation became dramatic in Italy, we still saw it as a distant thing.
                We truly realized the extent of the matter when the government locked us into confinement mode (it was announced on March 13th, with an enforcement date on the 16th).

Would definitely come for a beer with Phoronix members when the context is back to normal.
                I had just moved from northern Italy (Torri di Quartesolo) to northern Bayern in Germany during the first week of December - I got very lucky. At the end of January travel restrictions started goin in place in some countries and by the middle of February it became clear that it was moving into Germany. I think the first reported cases in Bayern was either from a BMW plant or from Germans who had been down at Lake Garda in Italy (February in Italy is a little more mild than it is in Germany). By mid March we were working from home and told that that would last for at least 90 days.

It is much better now, but it is still a PITA. A couple of my family members wanted to come visit me during Christmas here in Germany (Germany really does know how to celebrate Christmas and the Christmas markets are amazing), but that got nixed. No Trier or Nurnberg Christmas markets this last Christmas. No family visits either.
                GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Working...
                X