Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pat Gelsinger Is Going Back To Intel As New CEO

Phoronix: Pat Gelsinger Is Going Back To Intel As New CEO

While Bob Swan has been the interim and then permanent CEO for less than three years at Intel, following much speculation heating up in recent weeks, Bob Swan is out and returning to Intel is Pat Gelsinger who will now lead as CEO...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I saw him speak when I was in grad school way back in about 2004 and he gave a fascinating presentation on what we would today call IoT. Some of the concepts he was pushing were still well in advance of what you see commercially available right now, and remember that this was years before anyone had even heard of an iPhone.

This guy is technically smart and has a great deal of charisma, which are two major assets you need in a CEO. This is very good news for Intel.

Comment

Well, let's hope he will get Intel in line

... and he won't come with new Itanium or Larrabee.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
        I saw him speak when I was in grad school way back in about 2004 and he gave a fascinating presentation on what we would today call IoT. Some of the concepts he was pushing were still well in advance of what you see commercially available right now, and remember that this was years before anyone had even heard of an iPhone.

This guy is technically smart and has a great deal of charisma, which are two major assets you need in a CEO. This is very good news for Intel.
        I think on that level it needs more than impressing a guy in grad school with a presentation to confirm if he is a great CEO or not
        Nevertheless we will see soon as it's clear that whole Intel is quite aware of the whole situation that is happening with them more than us. Any short term benefits would still be coming from current CEO, or current structure and organization that came from him so it needs a year or two to see effect of a CEO in such a big organization.
        Unless he listens to the funds telling to outsource chip product, then we will quickly now how good he isn't.

Comment

I fear Bob Swan is too much the economics guy - not having a deep understanding of the technology.

Comment

I would have rather liked to see Jim Keller re-joining the company in an engineering role. Gelsinger left Intel because he couldn't deliver on Larrabee - at least rumors stated that. I don't know if that precludes him from being a good CEO but it certainly was a bad decision made by him and his team back then.

Comment

Can I go?

Comment

Well I'm glad to see that Intel is still trying to catch up with AMD. Hopefully, he'll be able to attract some good engineers. I'd make the jump to AMD, but lack of thunderbolt (and thus eGPUs) is a roadblock for me

Comment

Originally posted by Krteq View Post
                  Well, let's hope he will get Intel in line

... and he won't come with new Itanium or Larrabee.
                  He has some experience with Itaniums

Source

Comment

Originally posted by Cotyso View Post
                    I'd make the jump to AMD, but lack of thunderbolt
                    in your imaginary world is result of brainwashing

Comment

Working...
                    X