No announcement yet.

Google Comes Up With A Metric For Gauging Critical Open-Source Projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very interesting mathematical analysis! And of course this is just a tool in evaluation, not actual ranking method.

Comment

I didn't know roguelikes were critical. :P
      Absolutely critical, every developer needs games to maintain focus.

Comment

In the C list, you have OpenSSl (or I, hard to tell). It should be OpenSSL

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post
          Any score is useless if it does not also take the bus factor into account.

"How many people have to be hit by a bus for this project to fail"

If it is a critical piece of equipment and the bus factor is 1 or close to it, there are real concerns.
          A healthy open source project doesn't fail just because all the developers die. The bus metaphor works for services and proprietary software, where even if you could, you wouldn't be allowed to continue the work until 70 years after the author died, or something like that.

Comment

Interesting, ArduPilot unmanned autopilot software is placed 15th on CPP

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post
              Any score is useless if it does not also take the bus factor into account.
              This particular scoring is counting all unique contributors in the entire git history. So it will be counting people that have already fallen under a bus. I'd have thought contributors in the last year would be relevant, They seem to be basing this purely off information purely in github so for the one project I'm involved in, the age in months seems to be when the github mirror was created and the contributors count covers the full history including the CVS conversion but the first decade where it was only patches on a mailing list is missed. Github's issue tracker isn't used so values there are near zero.

Comment

Originally posted by piorunz View Post
                Bitcoin fifth most critical C++ project on the planet according to Google. Just in time when Human Rights Foundation started sponsorship for Bitcoin Core development. Not bad prospects
                Bitcoin is an innovative payment network and a new kind of money.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                  Making lists and then manipulating and monetizing them - it's what google does. I wonder how they intend to embed their global ad slinging and private data harvesting into these projects.
                  I thought of the same :-D

Comment

Working...
                  X