Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Outreachy Kicks Off Winter 2020 Round With Several Interesting Open-Source Projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outreachy Kicks Off Winter 2020 Round With Several Interesting Open-Source Projects

Phoronix: Outreachy Kicks Off Winter 2020 Round With Several Interesting Open-Source Projects

Outreachy interns have been announced for the winter 2020 round. Selected participants are working on various open-source tasks from December through March in exchange for a $5,500 USD stipend to become involved with open-source...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They are still specifically discriminating against Asians: "We also expressly invite applications who are residents and nationals of the United States of America of any gender who are Black/African American, Hispanic/Latin@, Native American/American Indian, Alaska Native, Native Hawaiian, or Pacific Islander."

Wouldn't be so bad, except there's quite a bit of money involved. At some point, someone is going to sue and win a discrimination case against them.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
      They are still specifically discriminating against Asians: "We also expressly invite applications who are residents and nationals of the United States of America of any gender who are Black/African American, Hispanic/Latin@, Native American/American Indian, Alaska Native, Native Hawaiian, or Pacific Islander."

Wouldn't be so bad, except there's quite a bit of money involved. At some point, someone is going to sue and win a discrimination case against them.
      Well, Asians are even worse than White people, didn't you know? They are the true racists holding blacks, whites, and latinos equivally down so they can succeed and blame it even on white people!!11!

Sarcasm aside, this is an actual argument people brought up in the past (albeit without the white people part lol) claiming that asians are the reason black people do not succeed in tech or stem. So its no wonder our woke Outreachy will not help them. Besides that, same shit as every year with Outreachy.

Comment

Anyone who faces under-representation, systemic bias, or discrimination in the technology industry of their country is invited to apply.
        As a white guy in America, do I qualify? In America there is a systemic bias against white guys. We're blamed for everything because we're our country's current scapegoat.

Semi-sarcasm aside, I'd actually like to do these...the first and third more than the second:
        - An improved user manual for the Mixxx DJ software.
        - CI/CD of content on the Fedora documentation website.
        - Developing and designing a Fedora Zine as a mini-magazine that communicates through artistic expression what Fedora represents.

While I find CI/CD to be boring, unless they mean they want someone to just nerd out on all the documentation daily and it not being about CI/CD in the git push sense, because I just like playing with documentation, fonts, layouts, and that sort of thing. And as y'all can tell from my posts, I'm great with rambling on...in other words, generating content and coming up with things to add to user manuals.

That's actually what I went to vocation school for, though the teachers and class were in transition so the first half of the year was print shop with an older guy, second half was digital desktop design with a younger woman. It went from playing with razor knives, scanners, printing presses, silk screens, and heavy machinery to playing on MS Publisher for five months. Yeah, we were all the last half of the year. I've never put that to use. Aside from some crap jobs when times were slow and some time in the Marines, I've been contracting with my Dad for the past 16 years and I don't think that's going to last for much longer. It's my Dad's health. He can't do as much as he used to which means I'm covering a lot of labor slack and I can't tell y'all how much I hurt at the ends of some of these days. I have to find something less intensive to do for work else I'll end up like him.

Based on their website's wording I've never applied because I feel like they'd skip right over me even though I meet all of their criteria aside from the color of my skin and gender. I'm poor, have plenty of discrimination and racism stories, and I even have that southern accent so people instantly think I'm a sister-lovin redneck. I'm the kind of white that white people hate on

Comment

I thought y'all'd be smarter than that. The reason that Asian's aren't on the list is because all the leading tech countries are full of either whites or Asians. That's why there are a lot of whites and Asians in STEM. Go figure that countries that are 75%+ certain colors lead to all sorts of various fields having 75%+ certain colors employed there.

You'd think the M in STEM would point out the statistics to the rest

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
            I thought y'all'd be smarter than that. The reason that Asian's aren't on the list is because all the leading tech countries are full of either whites or Asians. That's why there are a lot of whites and Asians in STEM. Go figure that countries that are 75%+ certain colors lead to all sorts of various fields having 75%+ certain colors employed there.

We'll see. I believe the Asian-American students are appealing their discrimination case against Harvard to the Supreme Court. If they are victorious, then it could spell doom for Outreachy, as they appear to be denying thousands of dollars per student to potential Asian interns based strictly on race.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
              We'll see. I believe the Asian-American students are appealing their discrimination case against Harvard to the Supreme Court. If they are victorious, then it could spell doom for Outreachy, as they appear to be denying thousands of dollars per student to potential Asian interns based strictly on race.
              Wait, did they lose that lawsuit? Just checked and yeah, looks like the Judge really did rule that it's not discrimination despite counting race as a negative for Asian-Americans. Which in my mind has more than a whiff of doublethink and makes me interested to see what train of thought the judge went trough to arrive to the conclusion that counting someone's race against them isn't discrimination.

If there's one positive of Trump and the Republicans stuffing the supreme court with conservatives it's that they're much less likely to entertain this kind of "It's discrimination, but it isn't"-thinking. Particularly Amy Coney Barrett, who worked for previous justice Scalia and shares his letter of the law approach, obviously won't entertain to the idea that racial discrimination is acceptable if it targets the "right" group.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

Wait, did they lose that lawsuit? Just checked and yeah, looks like the Judge really did rule that it's not discrimination despite counting race as a negative for Asian-Americans. Which in my mind has more than a whiff of doublethink and makes me interested to see what train of thought the judge went trough to arrive to the conclusion that counting someone's race against them isn't discrimination.

If there's one positive of Trump and the Republicans stuffing the supreme court with conservatives it's that they're much less likely to entertain this kind of "It's discrimination, but it isn't"-thinking. Particularly Amy Coney Barrett, who worked for previous justice Scalia and shares his letter of the law approach, obviously won't entertain to the idea that racial discrimination is acceptable if it targets the "right" group.
                They lost but it's appealable and yes, they are likely to have a strong argument in front of the Supreme Court. I don't know that the makeup of the Supreme Court is so important in this case, as all the Justices have shown opposition to any type of racial quotas. Possibly local favoritism played a bigger factor in the students' loss in the Appeals court, as that court is in Boston and is likely to be more protective of Harvard. Think of it as Harvard having had a "home field advantage" in front of that court.

Comment

Middle-eastern also.

Comment

So no PRs/MRs are accepted for these things unless the individual making them happens to belong to any of the specified groups?

I thought y'all'd be smarter than that. The reason that Asian's aren't on the list is because all the leading tech countries are full of either whites or Asians.
                    This is where your post stopped making sense.
                    That's why there are a lot of whites and Asians in STEM. Go figure that countries that are 75%+ certain colors lead to all sorts of various fields having 75%+ certain colors employed there.

You weren't even wrong before. Does this also hold true for others? What if you look at east-Asians selectively?
                    Last edited by kingu; 04 December 2020, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X