IBM, Red Hat, VMware & Others Form The Inclusive Naming Initiative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IBM, Red Hat, VMware & Others Form The Inclusive Naming Initiative

Phoronix: IBM, Red Hat, VMware & Others Form The Inclusive Naming Initiative

The Inclusive Naming Initiative has been formed by various industry players to make "consistent, responsible choices to remove harmful language" from software...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Another never-ending discussion about politics.

Comment

When someone uses terms such as "guilty by association" is when I know they are bad people.

The movie Demolition Man from 1993 was prophetic.

Comment

The use of the term tree to describe data structures is potentially offensive to all shrubs and bushes.

Comment

The underlying assumption of the whitelist/blacklist metaphor is that white = good and black = bad. Because colors in and of themselves have no predetermined meaning, any meaning we assign to them is cultural:
          Their rationalization is what angers me to my core. They imply that we IT geeks and nerds have no culture and this critical theory, post modernist bullshit will just trample over our culture and redefine our words and there meaning! All this for university trained snowflakes who get hung up by a word that rubs them a wrong way because they are still stuck in university culture and haven't absorbed IT culture.

What's next? Do I need to state my pronouns and who I like to fuck before I give my next presentation?!

Comment

How about they donate the money and time to actually combat slavery?

" 24.9 million people are in forced labor, of whom 16 million people are exploited in the private sector such as domestic work, construction or agriculture; 4.8 million persons in forced sexual exploitation, and 4 million persons in forced labor imposed by state authorities. 15.4 million people are in forced marriage."
            That is today.

This is a circle-jerk, only relieving some white-guilt ridden guys. It won't last long and they need the next fix. And again: this is as likely to alienation as many potential devs as it is would attract.

Comment

I'm sure glad we've solved all the real problems in the world so we can have industry consortiums to create new problems to solve!

Comment

Good intentions or not, everything is or can be made offensive to some group somewhere.

Take Red Hat. You know what else makes a red hat? Being scalped. Red Hat can be made racist to Native Americans without me even needing my morning coffee. Not to mention all the red/fire/hell/evil connections. Also, a gang known as the Bloods wears Red Hats to signify their gang alliance. Red Hat: Racist, represents evil, and part of gang paraphernalia -- Red Hat should run their own name through the group

See what I mean. I didn't even have to try with Red Hat.

uid313 My family still talks about needing the three seashells when we're running low on TP.

sdack That's OK. We can keep them all equal with hatchet, axe, and saw.

Comment

Here is a better title: IBM, RedHat, VMWare & Others Form the Idiotic Naming Initiative

There is no guilt or problem whatsoever with the words master and slave. They have been used in tech domain since forever. IDE master and slave comes to mind.

We have to consider the context in which a word, term or symbol is used. For example I am a slave to Jesus my God and He is my master. A more controversial example, the swastika a symbol from ancient Greece was used by the Nazis as their flag. Swastika is not evil. Swastika in the context of Nazism becomes a symbol of hate.

In the past I have admired especially the relaxed US way of thinking about naming terms. For example Enterprise Java Beans. That would be an absurd name in my country, but the Americans didn't seem to care. That was good in my opinion. Unfortunately political correctness which IMO seems like a virus from the leftists has infiltrated for good the culture of the west.
                  Last edited by zoomblab; 19 November 2020, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
                    Here is a better title: IBM, RedHat, VMWare & Others Form the Idiotic Naming Initiative

There is no guilt or problem whatsoever with the words master and slave. They have been used in tech domain since forever. IDE master and slave comes to mind.

We have to consider the context in which a word, term or symbol is used. For example I am a slave to Jesus my God and He is my master. A more controversial example, the swastika a symbol from ancient Greece was used by the Nazis as their flag. Swastika is not evil. Swastika in the context of Nazism becomes a symbol of hate.

In the past I have admired especially the relaxed US way of thinking about naming terms. For example Enterprise Java Beans. That would be an absurd name in my country, but the Americans didn't seem to care. That was good in my opinion. Unfortunately political correctness which IMO seems like a virus from the leftists that has infiltrated for good the culture of the west.
                    Swastika isn't Greek, it is a common symbol for the Sun wheel found all over the world, the oldest representation is like 12.000 years old and it is still commonly used in Buddhist and Hindu Temples. The name itself comes from Sanskrit.

Comment

Working...
                    X