Building A Large L-Shaped Desk For Accommodating Plenty Of Computers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building A Large L-Shaped Desk For Accommodating Plenty Of Computers

Phoronix: Building A Large L-Shaped Desk For Accommodating Plenty Of Computers

Four years ago I chronicled building a massive L-shaped desk for a better workflow, more monitors and space. For those that may be wanting to procure a new computer desk if you are working from home or eyeing L-shaped desk options, here is a new build I recently finished up as an improvement over my original design

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Are you sure the pipes are well-placed? How does the desk keep its balance when it only has one foot per corner?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Are you sure the pipes are well-placed? How does the desk keep its balance when it only has one foot per corner?
      There are six pipes in total, 4 of which are for the 8 foot slab. For the 4 foot leaf there is one at the end (would have done two but ran short on a flange) and then one on the joint area between the two connections. Been running this way for a ~month now and it's been working fine.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I am wondering why do you need so many monitors.. I can't remember when you've reviewed one. Isn't a KVM sufficient?
        Or are you actually following the generated images during the entire benchmark period to make sure there is no image corruption/artefacts?

Comment

Michael,

Do you have anything against good KVMs? I know we can live without them and use xrdp or ssh (or even VNC) to control other computers from one we like more to use, but they are really nice things to have.

Comment

Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post
            I am wondering why do you need so many monitors.. I can't remember when you've reviewed one. Isn't a KVM sufficient?
            Or are you actually following the generated images during the entire benchmark period to make sure there is no image corruption/artefacts?
            Originally posted by acobar View Post
            Michael,

Do you have anything against good KVMs? I know we can live without them and use xrdp or ssh (or even VNC) to control other computers from one we like more to use, but they are really nice things to have.
            Pretty much amounts to passively monitoring all benchmarks as they happen, particularly for GPU testing... PTS can notify of most issues and its other features, but particularly around GPU hangs or any very evident rendering corruption, usually quick to spot when it happens at my desk versus having to constantly KVM switch to check on other systems as the main driver for the extra displays.
            Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Pretty much amounts to passively monitoring all benchmarks as they happen, particularly for GPU testing... PTS can notify of most issues and its other features, but particularly around GPU hangs or any very evident rendering corruption, usually quick to spot when it happens at my desk versus having to constantly KVM switch to check on other systems as the main driver for the extra displays.
              OK, now it makes sense.

Cheers

Comment

Ahhh... the sweet smell of sawdust in the morning!

"In order to make the area infant-proof..."

The problem with kittens is they become cats. The problem with infants is they become toddlers...

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

There are six pipes in total, 4 of which are for the 8 foot slab. For the 4 foot leaf there is one at the end (would have done two but ran short on a flange) and then one on the joint area between the two connections. Been running this way for a ~month now and it's been working fine.
                  Michael, this looks unstable for loads on the front (ie, someone sitting on the front surface). I would strongly recommend putting legs at both the front and back side at each end. It doesn't look like you are saving much going with just one leg on each end in any case.

Comment

Originally posted by zephyrhawk View Post

Michael, this looks unstable for loads on the front (ie, someone sitting on the front surface). I would strongly recommend putting legs at both the front and back side at each end. It doesn't look like you are saving much going with just one leg on each end in any case.
                    If I had the extra flanges handy at the time, I would have. But in any case, no one is going to be sitting on the front surface or anything along those lines. It's been handling fine for a month and no real changes to workflow expected in regards to weight layout on the desk.
                    Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
                    X