No announcement yet.

Building A Large L-Shaped Desk For Accommodating Plenty Of Computers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congratulations Michael for needing a crib! :-)

The construction posts are always interesting.

A review of the Vibram Five Fingers would also be cool.
    Last edited by radeon; 14 November 2020, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

If I had the extra flanges handy at the time, I would have. But in any case, no one is going to be sitting on the front surface or anything along those lines. It's been handling fine for a month and no real changes to workflow expected in regards to weight layout on the desk.
      Looking at the pics, I don't see where you'd have any issues since you went to town with the bracing plate on the underside where the blocks join. As long as that holds it'll be just fine.

Comment

My only critique, and something I've been searching hard for lately, is that where the two desk halves meet there should be an angled wedge, such that were you to sit facing the corner, you'd have a flat beam of desk to rest your keyboard /arms on, rather than an exposed corner. Something a bit more like this shape: https://www.mgs.net.au/stockImage.do...kImageId=66465

Comment

Originally posted by PenguinPeculiaris View Post
          My only critique, and something I've been searching hard for lately, is that where the two desk halves meet there should be an angled wedge, such that were you to sit facing the corner, you'd have a flat beam of desk to rest your keyboard /arms on, rather than an exposed corner. Something a bit more like this shape: https://www.mgs.net.au/stockImage.do...kImageId=66465
          Would be easy to do with an extra piece of butcherblock leftover and some kreg screws at an angle but yeah for my purposes fine with the square corner.
          Michael Larabel
          http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

That's a cool desk, plenty of expensive stuff, I also like that it's located on the first floor and the windows are pretty large. I'd encourage you leave the windows open at night for ventilation and go and visit your parents this weekend, I bet you'll have a great time. Before leaving please leave all the expensive stuff at home because there's lots of thieves on the road, can't trust anyone these days!

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Looking at the pics, I don't see where you'd have any issues since you went to town with the bracing plate on the underside where the blocks join. As long as that holds it'll be just fine.
              That certainly helps, but one can produce significant torque about that single end leg. As a physicist I would never allow a workstation like this in my lab, but I guess for controlled home use it is probably fine.

Comment

Originally posted by zephyrhawk View Post

That certainly helps, but one can produce significant torque about that single end leg. As a physicist I would never allow a workstation like this in my lab, but I guess for controlled home use it is probably fine.
                That's how I feel. As long as nobody plops down on it there shouldn't be any issues.

It it were me I'd weld some L shaped brace pipes coming off each of the rear legs and bolt the other end to the block top. 2-4" drop off the table and straight to the rear legs. That way it can be used for cable routing and mounting things out of the way while still allowing movement around the table since there wouldn't be any front legs to get in the way.

Comment

Such amateurs here... where is the hydrolic lift kit, the cup holders, the epoxy clear top with red flames underneath?

Comment

I'm in the process of making similar L-desk build, but a bit smaller. I have 6' and 4' birch butcher block counter top of 1-1/2 thickness in hand. The frame will be made of 80/20 15-series aluminum extrusions. This is a bit more expensive than Michael's build (I do like the look of his pipe frame), but should be very easy to put together and way stronger than it probably needs to be. I am just waiting on a few extrusions countersunk for the connection fittings and the threaded feet for leveling and slight height adjustments. I found a good deal on the long extrusions on Ebay, but the fittings were the some of the most expensive parts and really pushed up the price. I think it totaled to about $875 complete, but I still need to buy a drawer unit.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

If I had the extra flanges handy at the time, I would have. But in any case, no one is going to be sitting on the front surface or anything along those lines. It's been handling fine for a month and no real changes to workflow expected in regards to weight layout on the desk.
                      Please what are the flanges you talk about?
                      I'm very surprised the whole setup is not super wobbly with those few and skinny legs when you apply a bit of pressure from any side!
                      Good looking rig by the way
                      Last edited by horizonbrave; 14 November 2020, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X