• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xaero_Vincent
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Roblox!!!!

I just wish Wine supported VMProtect and all of that...
    Booting up the Windows VM is a pain:

- It takes like 15 minutes to boot up
    - Pressing Windows key sometimes does not work, and sometimes it takes up to 30 seconds for the Start menu to come up
    - Disk usage is 100% all the freaking time
    Sounds like something is very wrong with your VM or PC to run 15x slower than it should be.

BTW, the Android version of Roblox also works under Android x86 in QEMU w/ Virgil. Just discovered that recently. Even keyboard and mouse works with it.

Leave a comment:

• ntropy
    replied
    I tried writing wsl --install in terminal but no windows installed, am I safe?

Leave a comment:

• ElectricPrism
    replied
    I pray that by the time I die Microsoft and Windows are no more. Seeing these hideous Frankenstein screenshots of the glorious sanctuary desecrated by the filthy disgusting thing is the spookiest thing I've seen all spooktober by leagues.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
    Yep, once GUI support arrives, there won't be any need to develop new Windows apps anymore or at least port any new FLOSS projects to Windows. Just develop for Linux desktop and it will work on Windows. Your app's "Install Shield" setup wizard can include a script that automatically downloads and install WSL for you, if it's not already.

Also I agree that the name is confusing. "Linux VM subsystem for Windows" is a more appropriate name.

An actual Windows Subsystem for Linux looks more like this:

Roblox!!!!

I just wish Wine supported VMProtect and all of that...
    Booting up the Windows VM is a pain:

- It takes like 15 minutes to boot up
    - Pressing Windows key sometimes does not work, and sometimes it takes up to 30 seconds for the Start menu to come up
    - Disk usage is 100% all the freaking time

Leave a comment:

• KeyboardG
    replied
    Originally posted by jacob View Post
    I still don't get that name. Shouldn't it be the Linux subsystem for Windows?
    They said during some conferences that for legal reasons Microsoft couldn't release a feature/product with the first word being "Linux".

Leave a comment:

• torsionbar28
    replied
    Originally posted by Gunnar67 View Post
    Well, the name shows what it will be in a few years, when windows is only a legacy subsystem running on a linux kernel.
    The purpose of WSL is the exact opposite; it is Microsoft's attempt to get folks running their Linux workloads on Microsoft Windows OS.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post

Eww. MS Store and Command Prompt

Leave a comment:

• Xaero_Vincent
    replied
    Yep, once GUI support arrives, there won't be any need to develop new Windows apps anymore or at least port any new FLOSS projects to Windows. Just develop for Linux desktop and it will work on Windows. Your app's "Install Shield" setup wizard can include a script that automatically downloads and install WSL for you, if it's not already.

Also I agree that the name is confusing. "Linux VM subsystem for Windows" is a more appropriate name.

Leave a comment:

• Gunnar67
    replied
    Well, the name shows what it will be in a few years, when windows is only a legacy subsystem running on a linux kernel.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    You have to read the name very, very literally. An apostrophe would help too.

Windows' Subsystem for Linux -- The Subsystem belongs to Windows and it is for Linux.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X