It's Now Even Easier Setting Up Windows Subsystem For Linux On Windows 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Now Even Easier Setting Up Windows Subsystem For Linux On Windows 10

Phoronix: It's Now Even Easier Setting Up Windows Subsystem For Linux On Windows 10

When Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) initially debuted there were a few different steps that needed to be carried out for setting up this Linux binary compatibility layer atop Windows. But now with the latest Windows 10 Insider Preview builds it's becoming increasingly trivial to get going with WSL...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It would be nice to have a match between msys2 x wsl. For now, and to my needs, msys2 is more than enough, with the advantage that the compiled applications are native.

Comment

I still don't get that name. Shouldn't it be the Linux subsystem for Windows?

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
        *nod* I get that they meant it to be read as "Windows Kernel Subsystem for Linux Binary Compatibility", but...

Comment

You have to read the name very, very literally. An apostrophe would help too.

Windows' Subsystem for Linux -- The Subsystem belongs to Windows and it is for Linux.

Comment

Well, the name shows what it will be in a few years, when windows is only a legacy subsystem running on a linux kernel.

Comment

Yep, once GUI support arrives, there won't be any need to develop new Windows apps anymore or at least port any new FLOSS projects to Windows. Just develop for Linux desktop and it will work on Windows. Your app's "Install Shield" setup wizard can include a script that automatically downloads and install WSL for you, if it's not already.

Also I agree that the name is confusing. "Linux VM subsystem for Windows" is a more appropriate name.

An actual Windows Subsystem for Linux looks more like this:

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post

An actual Windows Subsystem for Linux looks more like this:

Eww. MS Store and Command Prompt

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnar67 View Post
                  Well, the name shows what it will be in a few years, when windows is only a legacy subsystem running on a linux kernel.
                  The purpose of WSL is the exact opposite; it is Microsoft's attempt to get folks running their Linux workloads on Microsoft Windows OS.

Comment

They said during some conferences that for legal reasons Microsoft couldn't release a feature/product with the first word being "Linux".

Comment

Working...
                    X