It's Now Even Easier Setting Up Windows Subsystem For Linux On Windows 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
    Yep, once GUI support arrives, there won't be any need to develop new Windows apps anymore or at least port any new FLOSS projects to Windows. Just develop for Linux desktop and it will work on Windows. Your app's "Install Shield" setup wizard can include a script that automatically downloads and install WSL for you, if it's not already.

Also I agree that the name is confusing. "Linux VM subsystem for Windows" is a more appropriate name.

An actual Windows Subsystem for Linux looks more like this:

Roblox!!!!

I just wish Wine supported VMProtect and all of that...
    Booting up the Windows VM is a pain:

- It takes like 15 minutes to boot up
    - Pressing Windows key sometimes does not work, and sometimes it takes up to 30 seconds for the Start menu to come up
    - Disk usage is 100% all the freaking time

Comment

I pray that by the time I die Microsoft and Windows are no more. Seeing these hideous Frankenstein screenshots of the glorious sanctuary desecrated by the filthy disgusting thing is the spookiest thing I've seen all spooktober by leagues.

Comment

I tried writing wsl --install in terminal but no windows installed, am I safe?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Roblox!!!!

I just wish Wine supported VMProtect and all of that...
          Booting up the Windows VM is a pain:

- It takes like 15 minutes to boot up
          - Pressing Windows key sometimes does not work, and sometimes it takes up to 30 seconds for the Start menu to come up
          - Disk usage is 100% all the freaking time
          Sounds like something is very wrong with your VM or PC to run 15x slower than it should be.

BTW, the Android version of Roblox also works under Android x86 in QEMU w/ Virgil. Just discovered that recently. Even keyboard and mouse works with it.

Comment

Speaking about making the WSL setup easier, I want to use the MINGW (or MSYS2; are they the same) terminal window for WSL (not WSL2, that is completely unnecessary shite) instead of the default Windows one. It gives me middle-click-to-paste at the very least and I think it's generally better as a Linux terminal. I did this once a couple of years ago but I didn't write down the instructions for how to do it. And now I cannot find them! My Google fu is probably waning, so please, anyone, if you know how to do it, could you post link or instructions here. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
              You have to read the name very, very literally. An apostrophe would help too.

Windows' Subsystem for Linux -- The Subsystem belongs to Windows and it is for Linux.
              It still sounds like a Borat movie title.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                I pray that by the time I die Microsoft and Windows are no more. Seeing these hideous Frankenstein screenshots of the glorious sanctuary desecrated by the filthy disgusting thing is the spookiest thing I've seen all spooktober by leagues.
                Ah I see the lunatic asylum still never fails to deliver on MS related articles.

Inb4 completely pointless, overblown, paranoid, irrelevant, conspiratorial screeches of EEE.

Anyways such screenshots bring me back to the time I got Plasma/KDE SC 4 running under win7. I do wish that could be revived. An alt-shell for Windows based on Plasma 4 would be neat and cool. At least for now, I can run individual gui stuff on win10 right now.

Comment

Wake me up when there's accelerated 3D gui support foremost Vulkan.
                  Last edited by mike456; 30 October 2020, 04:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post

Sounds like something is very wrong with your VM or PC to run 15x slower than it should be.

BTW, the Android version of Roblox also works under Android x86 in QEMU w/ Virgil. Just discovered that recently. Even keyboard and mouse works with it.
                    Using GVT-d (and Looking Glass) giving the VM 4GB memory allocated using hugepages, disabled Meltdown/Spectre mitigations and security features. Q35, accel=kvm, CPU host with kvm=off to hide VM presence. 2 cores allocated to VM.
                    Slow.

I tried the Android version of Roblox prior to using the Windows 10 method, with a self-compiled Android-x86 (to remove Google stuff). It didn't work, crashing every time I opened it.
                    Maybe something is missing but it crashes on my phone too so I must be doing something wrong... ...maybe time to try again?
                    (note that I did not install Roblox through Google Play as I do not have a Google account anymore)

Comment

Originally posted by acobar View Post
                      It would be nice to have a match between msys2 x wsl. For now, and to my needs, msys2 is more than enough, with the advantage that the compiled applications are native.
                      Not all of them are native, in the sense that those built for MSYS depend on the compatibility layer that tries to take care of POSIX things unavailable in Windows, but many things can be built from the other shells it provides and are perfectly fine.

For me as well, MSYS2 is very useful and for now I'm in no need of WSL (I do have a native Linux distro running in another disk), but I'm glad to see it prosper. Before MSYS2 there was MSYS and there still is Cygwin, but the simplicity of using Pacman and all is godsent for me

Comment

Working...
                      X