Apache Software Foundation Celebrates Two Decades Of OpenOffice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
    Is OpenOffice still alive? I did think it was dead.
    It IS! It IS dead!

Comment

More like a decade's worth, a decade ago.

Comment

What a great moment to give the Name OpenOffice to the TDF. Honestly OO is a joke but it just has the better known name than LO.

Comment

At least with OO, you could have a celebration with all users in attendance, social distancing, meeting at a McDonalds.

Comment

Originally posted by chocolate View Post
            ...maybe a project and a half that's worth exploring, not counting the Apache HTTP server.
            Apache Ignite/Spark/Kafka are extremely successful. Many other their projects not so much. AOO is dead.

Comment

I found OpenOffice being actively used on one PC (with Win10) at my work, and even though it's being used for just simple documents and printing them, it still feels bad (a piece of slow, dead software) in the days of the LibreOffice. Good to mention, on the rest of PCs they use M$ Office 2013.

Comment

I would rank Apache software foundation on top of all open source foundations by importance but they do have a few weird duds among their projects, OO being one of them. I guess there must be sufficient support from the board to keep OO a top level project and not retire it, but I wonder why that is.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                  Also while you may not be aware of it, plenty of people especially Windows users tend to know about the OpenOffice brand a whole lot more still.
                  Really? 'Cause every time I see any Office discussions not tied to Linux office suites, everyone mentions LibreOffice. I haven't seen/heard any non-Linux user talking about OpenOffice in years.
                  Last edited by Vistaus; 14 October 2020, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Congratulations! Hopefully in 20 years LibreOffice will be a decent alternative to MS Office.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Really? 'Cause every time I see any Office discussions not tied to Linux office suites, everyone mentions LibreOffice. I haven't seen/heard any non-Linux user talking about OpenOffice in years.
                      Go beyond personal anecdotes and look at why LibreOffice wants Apache to hand over the name. If the brand didn't still have a lot of value to them, they wouldn't be asking. On the other hand, look at why Apache foundation insists on keeping OpenOffice even though it doesn't have any major active development and not declaring it dead and moving on, handing it off to TDF. Again, the brand has value

Comment

Working...
                      X