Apache Software Foundation Celebrates Two Decades Of OpenOffice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chocolate View Post
    There's no way the Apache Cemetery announcement cannot be viewed as malevolent. They know they're being harmful to LibreOffice and all end users, including OpenOffice users, but either they are too proud to change course, or they don't want to for other reasons.

Plus, their boomer lingo is revolting. They always insist on the "net worth" of their dead code (with random numbers that infallibly show a "plus" sign at the end), but there's maybe a project and a half that's worth exploring, not counting the Apache HTTP server. It's pathetic and sad.
    Apache Commons libraries are very useful. I use them all the time in my Android apps. Why write yet another for/while loop to read a string into a file, when I can just do IOUtils.readString(InputStream)
    ​​​​​​
    ​​​​​​.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

Apache Commons libraries are very useful. I use them all the time in my Android apps. Why write yet another for/while loop to read a string into a file, when I can just do IOUtils.readString(InputStream)
      ​​​​​​
      ​​​​​​.
      While Apache has done millions of good things for the community, reading a file into a string isn't one of them. Insert 32GB file in there, watch your app go down in flames.
      Maven, Hadoop, Spark... there are countless other examples.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        While Apache has done millions of good things for the community, reading a file into a string isn't one of them. Insert 32GB file in there, watch your app go down in flames.
        Maven, Hadoop, Spark... there are countless other examples.
        Why are you reading a 32GB file and converting it into a string though? For any real amount of data you should be using a database, and 32GB is well into proper database territory.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Why are you reading a 32GB file and converting it into a string though? For any real amount of data you should be using a database, and 32GB is well into proper database territory.
          I was talking about how a malicious 3rd party is doing things and how that functions helps them
          I see this line of thinking all too often: if my code passes the test with 5 lines in the DB table, it is ready for production; if my code reads 5 lines of text from a file, it is ready for production; if my code parses a 1kB form, it is ready for production; and so on...

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            I was talking about how a malicious 3rd party is doing things and how that functions helps them
            does failing with an error help malicious third parties?

I see this line of thinking all too often:
            that's why I bailed from programming a long time ago. And why I hate web developers and java developers

Comment

does failing with an error help malicious third parties?
              The method's documentation doesn't mention any limits for the underlying Reader. It will happily gobble up whatever memory it can.

that's why I bailed from programming a long time ago. And why I hate web developers and java developers
              Thanks for the heads up, I'll be sure to cross to the other sidewalk should we cross paths

Comment

Originally posted by StarterX4 View Post
                I found OpenOffice being actively used on one PC (with Win10) at my work, and even though it's being used for just simple documents and printing them, it still feels bad (a piece of slow, dead software) in the days of the LibreOffice. Good to mention, on the rest of PCs they use M$ Office 2013.
                Same! The company I currently work for installed a basic package of office programs like zoom, Microsoft office, Trello, and worktime software. They're mostly free, or with affordable yearly subscription, so it's no wonder they're popular among companies.

Comment

Working...
                X