Microsoft Has A Large Presence At This Year's X.Org Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post

Wayland will get there in time, there is no point in forking X, wayland will eventually absorb X.

X is not going anywhere but wayland eventually will take the command seat.

Perhaps we would get there faster if it wasn't for Nvidia's constant sabotage.
    IIRC, we've talked about wayland will get there in time at the beginning of this year; at one year ago, two years ago. And look how far the progress today. I really hope 'in time' here not referring to half decade later.

Comment

So many spicy comments. And we haven't even gotten to ID2020 yet.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post
        So many spicy comments. And we haven't even gotten to ID2020 yet.
        The spice must flow !

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Just to be clear, that sounds like you are saying that unless you use X11... there is no GUI support in WSL2 (via Wayland) yet

Are you able to use WSL2 and Wayland today like you can with VcXsrv or Xming the day WSL2 came out?
          Oh, for unaccelerated graphics? All day long, run a virtual Wayland compositor inside and stream framebuffer. However I don't really care about that. For me, unaccelerated graphics is as good as nothing.

Comment

Quote:

"We see developers as really important - like the whole Steve Ballmer 'Developers!!! Developers!!!! Developers!!!!!'"

Comment

Originally posted by ed31337 View Post

Yes. This is the work that Microsoft should be involved with. They have access to all the Windows source code. They have access to all the internal documentation. They hold all the keys to making this happen in a much shorter amount of time.
              But why? Microsoft has zero interest in allowing people to run Windows software without Windows. They want you to use (and pay for) Windows, so no way they will be making it possible to run things like the Adobe Photoshop Windows version in Linux without trouble.

And that's why they're also involved with WSL: because they are turning Linux into just an add-on for their OS. So you keep using their OS (and paying for it) and they can keep trying to make you use the rest: Edge, Bing, Office, etc.

What I can't understand is why Canonical volunteered to help them make it possible.
              Last edited by cyrix; 18 September 2020, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Microsoft and Linux.
                Hell has officially frozen over.

Comment

I would have to say Microsoft actions take with MonoDevelop are a prime to highlight the Extinguish mentality. Wrapped into Visual Studio for Mac while not applying any code to support Linux, where is was created.

Comment

That was followed by Pronovost talking about X11/Wayland application support under WSL and then the third and final Microsoft talk of the day was Jesse talking about their Mesa Direct3D 12 mapping layers for getting OpenCL/OpenGL over D3D12.
                    Oh come on, when they are going to ditch NT kernel? Any ETA? Though I'm pretty sure M$ could turn even Linux into backdoored, misbehaving, vendorlocked something, boasting brand-new keyloggers and M$ online accoutns if they spit their own distro.

Comment

Originally posted by Yndoendo View Post
                      I would have to say Microsoft actions take with MonoDevelop are a prime to highlight the Extinguish mentality. Wrapped into Visual Studio for Mac while not applying any code to support Linux, where is was created.
                      From what I've seen about .NET development, MS just never gives crap about users/devs/downstream issues. Not at all. They aren't ecosystem. They live in isolated space. It's pretty normal to release new .NET version, push it to throats via windows update in a forced manner since their marketing nuts decided it's cool, and who gives crap half of world has collapsed with numerous programs crashing/failing in odd ways to extent one may need to urgently recall all devs from vacations/weekends/holidays/whatever just because programs totally stopped working and customers are tearing supports apart. Seems it haven't changed: MS still dangerous, inconvenient and very troublesome upstream. They are even hard to call ecosystem. Something borg-like is hardly ecosystem. Rather slavery system, assimilation system or so. A rather bad place to be to my taste.
                      Last edited by SystemCrasher; 18 September 2020, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X