No announcement yet.

Microsoft Has A Large Presence At This Year's X.Org Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering how vibrant and independent the Linux ecosystem is, would they even be able to extinguish? I mean, many of the players like Red Hat/IBM, are in and of themselves powerful in their own right.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
      Is good ol' X11 still the only way that WSL can display GUI programs on Windows? That is a little sad non-one has a better solution. It does kind of demonstrate how important a network aware display system is though. Imagine if all we had was Wayland...
      Nope, GUI support under WSL2 will be leveraging Wayland from day one. There will be no X11, its network transparency is completely useless for modern hardware accelerated GUIs.

You know, XDC is a misnomer — it’s not just about X.

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post
        Nope, GUI support under WSL2 will be leveraging Wayland from day one.
        Just to be clear, that sounds like you are saying that unless you use X11... there is no GUI support in WSL2 (via Wayland) yet

Are you able to use WSL2 and Wayland today like you can with VcXsrv or Xming the day WSL2 came out?

Comment

looks like wayland will fall and the peolpe will fork X and back to X

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
            Looks like you're totally wrong.

Comment

Wayland will get there in time, there is no point in forking X, wayland will eventually absorb X.

X is not going anywhere but wayland eventually will take the command seat.

Perhaps we would get there faster if it wasn't for Nvidia's constant sabotage.

Comment

quote from slides "gallium interface, translates to d3d12 apis, built on the shoulders of zink". now you know real reason for zink existence

Comment

what people? clueless clowns like you? ok, i'm waiting

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                    Oh god, perhaps Xorg really is obsolete these days.
                    i wonder when morons will learn that xorg is the developer of wayland

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                      Extinguish: I guess we can commend Microsoft that they stopped short of that.
                      It's obviously less that they've stopped and more that they haven't yet gotten to the point where they have a large enough market share in the Linux space to actually pull it off.

After all the things they pulled in the 90s I honestly don't think I'm going to genuinely trust them not to pull tricks like this until they actually do get broken up like they were supposed to back then when the U.S government really took them to task for it. I'm also obviously not alone in my total distrust of them in relation to any and all open standards.
                      Last edited by L_A_G; 21 September 2020, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X