Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Problems Debian Is Facing In 2020

Phoronix: The Problems Debian Is Facing In 2020

The virtual DebConf20 concluded last week as the annual main conference for the Debian GNU/Linux distribution. Recently elected Debian Project Leader Jonathan Carter gave his talk at the event as an overview of where the project is at today as well as some of the problems they are facing today...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Debian, Black Lives Matter.

SJW has triumphed. This SJ crap has infiltrated even the minds of previously sane people. What a sad day.

Speaking of real Debian problems:

What about a horrible bug tracker which is nothing more than a gloried mailing list?
    What about stale/outdated packages (I know the policy but Debian has literally thousands of packages with minor updates missing)?
    What about patches which take forever to be incorporated?

A BLV statement. Is this a joke?
    Last edited by birdie; 04 September 2020, 05:44 AM.

Comment

That third slide IS a problem..

"We still lack diversity .." - of thought, yes.
      "Large regions are underrepresented in the project" - so what? They are all free to join. Maybe some "large regions" are not interested in Debian, just maybe.
      "We failed to put together a timely message regarding black lives matter" - GOOD! This is a political issue and has NOTHING to do with Debian.

Comment

Their biggest problem is Jonathan Carter. Throw this idiot away.

Comment

Debian has become religious, and their religion is the religion of woke.

Comment

I'm really enjoying drinking all these tears. Anybody else? There's nothing else to argue, because not a single one of you can get it through your thick skulls. The battle is over, and all you do nothings lost.
            Last edited by johnny; 04 September 2020, 05:53 AM.

Comment

I could agree with the problems presented in Debian. Not catching up enough and not having easier on boarding also has technical consequences. I see Debian as still stuck in early 2000. The don't release often and they don't push updated packages to the current stable release. This is not good. You need recent drivers to run well on newer computers, in fact most Linux distros based on Debian don't ship the stock debian kernel, or mesa drivers (SteamOS anybody?).

There is nothing wrong with having a super high quality and rock solid distro, they should keep this goal as it's part of the Debian brand, but if it doesn't run on my laptop because your kernel it's old... all that mighty rock solid power is if little use.

I hope they can sort it out and improve their situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Redfoxmoon View Post
                Debian has become religious, and their religion is the religion of woke.
                Debian has been religious since the early beginning. That part has never changed.
                I like debian as it is. slick, stable for servers. My hardware is 10 years old, so a perfect match!
                For desktop, I use something more modern ... :}
                Linuxer since the early beginnings...

Comment

Watch the video. The BLM thing was just an example for the slow processes that Debian sometimes faces.

​​I think Debian does an amazing job in delivering a free OS and pushing good programming practices (instead of just blindly taking what's out there).

Comment

Originally posted by enrico.tagliavini View Post
                    You need recent drivers to run well on newer computers, in fact most Linux distros based on Debian don't ship the stock debian kernel, or mesa drivers (SteamOS anybody?).

There is nothing wrong with having a super high quality and rock solid distro, they should keep this goal as it's part of the Debian brand, but if it doesn't run on my laptop because your kernel it's old... all that mighty rock solid power is if little use.

I hope they can sort it out and improve their situation.
                    Debian Stable isn't intended for that use case. However, you can easily run Debian Testing. It's basically like Arch, but with six times the packages.

Comment

Working...
                    X