The Problems Debian Is Facing In 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ed31337 View Post

I tore open one of those to do the same, but my LCD was too old and low res to make it worth while. Plus, there is no easy way to interface the laptop's keyboard to the RPi as far as I know. In the end, I just have a heap of old laptop innards laying around that I probably ought to just throw away...

What turned out to be better, in my opinion, was getting an old HDMI TV and mounting the RPi4 to the back of that. A TV works better than a computer LCD because the TV will give you a free digital audio output over HDMI, whereas a computer LCD usually lacks audio entirely.

I screwed two wooden sticks to the back of my TV using the VESA mounting screw holes. Then I screwed down some heavy gauge copper wires bent as hooks to hold my Raspberry Pi 4 very solidly between the two wooden sticks. This gives penty of room for airflow and easy access to the Raspberry Pi's plethora of connectors. I even managed to shape the wood to let me press fit a USB hard drive and an old power supply fan. From the front, you can't even tell anything DIY is going on back there.

Sure, it's perhaps not as portable and sleek as a laptop. But it is far more accessible for future tinkering with the GPIO pins, etc.

Never would of thought of utilising the vesa mount, Thank you for the tip. Your right about the keyboard, was thinking though of making my own with low profile mech switches going to usb. The laptop is about 13 years old so there’s loads of room in there.

Comment

Originally posted by direx View Post
      [...]What if I don't want my email address to be displayed publicly (what about privacy)?[...]
      For that reason I always use launchpad to report bugs against debian packages.
      As a long time user I never got used to use e-mails for bug-reports and ditched reportbug all along.

I'd really like some kind of gitlab, where i could fix typos for me recent bug-reports or edit comments i made for extra info.
      I think Debian is missing 75% of its users bug-solving power.

Comment

Originally posted by johnny View Post
        I'm really enjoying drinking all these tears. Anybody else? There's nothing else to argue, because not a single one of you can get it through your thick skulls. The battle is over, and all you do nothings lost.
        Your skull is the thickest one BLM no brainer. It's a shame for Debian to have such moron as a leader.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          Debian, Black Lives Matter.

SJW has triumphed. This SJ crap has infiltrated even the minds of previously sane people. What a sad day.

Speaking of real Debian problems:

What about a horrible bug tracker which is nothing more than a gloried mailing list?
          What about stale/outdated packages (I know the policy but Debian has literally thousands of packages with minor updates missing)?
          What about patches which take forever to be incorporated?

A BLV statement. Is this a joke?
          I agree completely.

Who in the heck has brought such a dumb decision to the table?!
          Why is "lack of diversity" a problem?! Why can't they focus on the **real** problems first, like the lack of stability and attractiveness?

Honestly you should make this a petition (considering you have almost 50 likes), because it is beginning to ruin once-great projects.

Can we go back to work?

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

Your skull is the thickest one BLM no brainer. It's a shame for Debian to have such moron as a leader.
            You're still super mad that you lost. You can't deny that you lost. So you can say whatever you want about me, but nothing changes that you lost.

Comment

You're still super mad that you lost. You can't deny that you lost. So you can say whatever you want about me, but nothing changes that you lost.
              Is this clown serious?

Comment

The Problem Debian Is Facing In 2020 is maximizing stupidity.

Comment

The main thing I've lost is confidence toward some people (RMS) and projects (Debian). I'm using Fedora and I consider it's the best OS in existence. However, I have sentiment toward Debian, because my first Linux distribution (Knoppix) is based on it. Then I've been using Kubuntu for several years. Now I have to read some mindless crap from so called Debian 'leader' about black people (black people are fine btw. and how many black developers do you have?) or Stallman's lgbt bullshit. I've believed you people are smarter and you won't be fooled so easily by some j-s propaganda. I'll take a closer look on you, because I have a feeling you're some corporate driven spotter.
                  Last edited by Volta; 05 September 2020, 09:37 AM.

Comment

One thing I have learned from people commenting here is that they care for little else other than the very latest packages.

How come this is so important to people?

Whether you have Gimp version 2.10.8 rather than 2.10.9 or vim with patch 1382 but not patch 1401 does that really affect so many peoples lives here?

It is fairly obvious that the majority of people here also use Linux as a workstation or desktop rather than on a server and are generally interested in graphical applications so it can't be to do with security (also updating a server isn't quite the "hammer in apt-get upgrade and sod everything else" approach that it is on the desktop).

You probably all own phones or games consoles running operating systems with ancient versions of busybox and firmware blobs and yet you seem content with them. So why are so many people not happy with their number being smaller than it could be on their paint program or libpng?

It is puzzling. Is it a psychological compulsion?
                    Last edited by kpedersen; 05 September 2020, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by enrico.tagliavini View Post
                      I could agree with the problems presented in Debian. Not catching up enough and not having easier on boarding also has technical consequences. I see Debian as still stuck in early 2000. The don't release often and they don't push updated packages to the current stable release. This is not good. You need recent drivers to run well on newer computers, in fact most Linux distros based on Debian don't ship the stock debian kernel, or mesa drivers (SteamOS anybody?).

There is nothing wrong with having a super high quality and rock solid distro, they should keep this goal as it's part of the Debian brand, but if it doesn't run on my laptop because your kernel it's old... all that mighty rock solid power is if little use.

I hope they can sort it out and improve their situation.
                      What do you mean they don't? Add debian-backports, and you're fine. Yup, new kernels in there too. Debian is a STABLE (if you're running stable) distribution, much in the same way Redhat / CentOS is a stable distribution. They don't release new versions of packages once they hit a release, they just backport patches. Only on rare occasions do they full on package new versions if something severe is needed.

Comment

Working...
                      X